Range Rovers Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Slightly off-topic, but a wireless Tekonsha brake controller works well on my 2004 and eliminates any need to tap into the truck electronics. I believe Curt now offers a wireless model too. (My 2004 uses BMW electronics, so I can't help with the later Ford hitch harness.)

That is great to know.. no programming for USA. Does anyone have a copy of the YWJ500480G fitting instructions? I was wondering how hard it is to do and if I want to take it on. Thanks everyone.
Very easy actually. 15min top. Spare tire needs to come out before the fitting. The end result is that you want the module to sit inside the rear right side boot where the rear fuse block is located. It has a designated spot there including nuts that you secure it with, and next to it there is a white connector that is designed to be plugged to the trailer wiring kit. First you feed the wiring from the outside through the bottom/behind the rear bumper right about the middle of it there is a rectangular grommet plugging the hole in the frame/body of the truck. If your kit did not come with the wiring already fed through a grommet, you will need to remove the grommet from your vehicle and punch a hole to feed the wire through it into the vehicle. Feed it all the way into the right side boot, connect the module to it and secure it with bolts and connect it to the vehicle via the white plug. Then near the inside area where you fed the wiring through, you will have 2 ground cables part of the kit perfectly aligned waiting for you to secure them to the chassis/ground. Then on the outside you secure the wiring hookup receiver to the bracket located to the left side of the hitch receiver. The rest is cosmetic. Clean up your install and make sure to properly seal the hole in the grommet to avoid water and moisture making it into the cargo area.

Reactions: ColinP
If you don't get the instructions, I can send them to you.

That is great to know.. no programming for USA. Does anyone have a copy of the YWJ500480G fitting instructions? I was wondering how hard it is to do and if I want to take it on. Thanks everyone.
I am headed out to install mine. Here is a scan of the instructions that came with the kit.

Attachments

I can't believe this.
A $400 wiring harness that requires tearing out most of the pass rear interior panels to dig out the car connectors to connect to, and you haft to attach TWO ground wires to the body.
Unbelievable how bad the engineering and design is on a range rover.

I give you guys a lot of credit for putting up with it and soldering on. (y)

I need to haul a lot of lumber from Home depot. It will be a LOT cheaper & easier to just rent a truck to get the job done. :rolleyes:

Nice first post. Keep in mind that a LR or Mercedes or BMW's are made in countries with different standards for towing hitches, wiring, and lights. If you want something that comes setup for American towing standards, buy a Chevy. Or buy your lumber from someplace with decent straight boards and delivers.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.