Range Rovers Forum banner

2008 L322 Trailer wiring options

18K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  NorCal RR 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I am trying to see what my options are for hooking up trailer lights. I searched and all I could find are older threads. Is there any newer option for these vehicles now?

Is the factory harness still the best and most reliable option?

#2 ·
I installed an OEM trailer wiring harness in my 08' and it was an easy DIY. There are other threads of using aftermarket (which if I recall is not a direct install and requires some jerry rigging) but I wanted to stick to OEM to avoid any electrical gremlins... keep your eye out on Ebay for a good price... I went used and it works flawlessly for 1/4 of the retail price.

#4 ·
I purchased the OEM kit for my 06. Took a bit of time but was very easy to install.

I wouldn't do anything but this trailer kit. There's an ECU included with it. Don't see how an aftermarket solution could do the same job.

There's no easy way to add a brake controller though...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I have the OEM kit on my 07 RRSC. My trailer has all LED lights and I am wondering of this is the cause for having only left blinker, no flashers and no brake lights and no backup lights. It may partially be the plug, as the cover was gone when I purchased it.

My tester is telling me I have both left and right blinkers and flashers. The flash rate on the dash is much higher because of the low voltage LED's.

Someone must be dealing with this same issue. Many new trailers have LED's. All lights worked fine on my 06 LR3 without adding anything, as did my brake controller.

Suggestions?

#10 ·
It's not how much they STILL cost..., they used to retail for a bit over $200. When I began looking for my Range Rover in late December, knowing I'd be towing a braked trailer on occasion, I found the YWJ500480 setup new for just under $300. When I bought a 2007 SC in late January, the lowest price I found online was $325, but negotiated the price down locally from $425 to $368 so the shop I was having service the car could do the install right then. BPUtah's price jumped from $325 to $412 when they went to their new website (all their prices went sky high after the new site). They DO have the best pics of what the kit contains:

Hardware programmer Technology Cable Font Auto part
More closeups https://bputah.com/RR44/Range_Rover_Trailer_Wiring_Harness_YWJ500480_VPLMT0008.html

UK pricng is much lower than most US sellers choose to offer. Just now I did another quick search of American sites and found $295.66 to be the lowest price, from a dealer, no less...
http://saclandrover.niello.com/accessories.php?action=details&catalog_id=6064&category=227

My only question on this offering is the mention of needing adapter in order to use 4 pin plugs? Other sources of the YWJ500480, mine included, come with both 4 and 7 pin plugs on the bracket.

Sometimes the wiring harness is found used, but use caution as some are not complete.

#14 ·
I saw a note while shipping for one of these kits, <span itemprop="productID">YWJ500480G,</span> that indicated that some programming would be necessary to make this work. Is this true? In searching the forum and in reading the instructions here http://www.rangerovers.net/outfitting/towing/lm/harness.html, there's no mention of this need.  <br><br>Specifically, the seller's website says "<strong>Note:</strong> This installation must be system-activated
utilizing a capable diagnostic and programming tool. The vehicle must be
programmed to the "Trailer Ball" setting to complete the functional
installation. A service visit to the dealership or independent shop with
Autologic Diagnostics is required to complete the programming."

#16 ·
Hello everyone,
Has anyone been able to come up with a response to the need for "Trailer Ball" programming? see post #14 above.

I bought the YWJ500480 harness for my 07RRSC, installed it but have not connected the trailer yet. Here are the issues I am facing and hoping for answers from someone who experienced them:

1- British Atlantic says kit for my car should be YWJ500480, one dealer in my area says it should be YWJ500012, another dealer says it should be YWJ500480. 2 against 1 I bought YWJ500480.

2- Installation instructions do not say anything about a fuse. See picture in post#10 above. white plug goes into white plug that was not being used in the car, black plug goes into ECU in the kit, then the 3rd set of wires appear to be already connected to a fuse (again see pic in post #10). British Atlantic were kind enough to answer my question saying the kit is already fused and I only need to plug in the white and black connectors.

3- British Atlantic and other posts refer to final step is to activate the trailer option by turning Trailer Ball programming on. Dealer says no programming or anything else is needed. posts by other members also are as ambiguous on this issue. Can anyone please shed some light on this.

Thanks.

#17 ·
Has anyone been able to come up with a response to the need for "Trailer Ball" programming? see post #14 above.
Hornet was obviously shipping from outside the United States. Balls in the NAS market are stationary on 2" box hitches with risers or drops slid into a receiver. No programming is necessary.

Our multi piece style hitches and receivers are illegal in some countries. Those markets have their balls on a "goose neck". With that in mind there is an LR option for a deployable goose neck hitch. That must be programmed for the safety switch that is triggered, when their balls are lowered, that tells the trailer circuit that the goose neck is is it's locked and secure position. Without the confirmation that the goose neck is secure they will have a warning on their dash. The goose neck style hitches are illegal in the US.

As far as any programming here in the States, there is nothing needed if using genuine parts because the lighting circuit senses the additional load of the trailer lights and flashes the green trailer icon on the dash when you use your directional.

I gotta give you credit for finding a reference to one of the most obscure options in the Land Rover world. :lol:

#19 ·
Should do it with no issues. If you have LED lights on your trailer you may have delay in recognition or some other issue I can't remember with older wiring kits. Fortunately there is an easy fix available.

#23 ·
#26 ·
I can't believe this.
A $400 wiring harness that requires tearing out most of the pass rear interior panels to dig out the car connectors to connect to, and you haft to attach TWO ground wires to the body.
Unbelievable how bad the engineering and design is on a range rover.

I give you guys a lot of credit for putting up with it and soldering on. (y)

I need to haul a lot of lumber from Home depot. It will be a LOT cheaper & easier to just rent a truck to get the job done. :rolleyes:

#27 ·
Nice first post. Keep in mind that a LR or Mercedes or BMW's are made in countries with different standards for towing hitches, wiring, and lights. If you want something that comes setup for American towing standards, buy a Chevy. Or buy your lumber from someplace with decent straight boards and delivers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.