RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

Recently purchased an 2008 L322 4.4Jag (149k mls) for my son. My son is loving it (so do I, we have an LR4 and 83 RRC) but the car is in need of attention and we have been working through a list of technical and cosmetic corrections as well usual maintenance item. Not codes or transmission issues, it fact it all runs smooth if a little underpowered compared to the 5.0 LR4.

One item on the list is a persistent gas (petrol) smell near the fuel fill area. It does not smell inside the car or near the engine, it is a bit like there is no filler gas cap. The gas cap was ropy and so we replaced that with an original new LR cap, this did not fix it. There is no evidence of any dripping or tell tale stains underneath the car indicating a fuel leak as such even with the tank topped up.

I suppose I need to trace back the fuel lines and couplings. Do you all have a suggestion where to start? I understand the top of the tank is accessible through a hatch below the rear seats. Is there an external fuel filter? Online there are several very different types of fuel filters advertised so I take it there has been a design change.

Your input, much appreciated!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
135 Posts
There’s a small pump to pressurize the fuel tank as part of the evap diagnostic system. It’s situated near the fuel filler and accessible after removing the right rear wheel well liner. You may have a loose pipe in this area.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is there an external leak? dripping from fuel tank? I would inspect

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Thanks, no - no evidence of any leak current or past. All clean, this is why I am thinking it might either be a very small leak or it is in the venting system. I am gonna remove the wheel arch liner first and have a good poke around there. Also going to see how accessible the top of the fuel tank is. Hopefully the smell is making it obvious, I was hoping my issues was common, but I will find it.

·
Registered
2011 RR 5.0 SC
80 Posts
For natural gas they have “sniffer” wands that beep when near any fumes, I picked one up and was able to find two leaks in our home piping. If you’re desperate, could look into those, they work for a wide variety of gases and I assume gasoline vapor is one.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, as I am also fixing a lean code and just fitted a new PCV valve. I went to clear the codes only to find that now there was an EVAP code as well, so there is a leak for sure.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The evap diagnostic will only run when the fuel level is between 1/4 and 3/4 of a tank. Not having a code does not mean you don’t have a problem. The test may not have successfully completed.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2011 RR 5.0 SC
80 Posts
The evap diagnostic will only run when the fuel level is between 1/4 and 3/4 of a tank. Not having a code does not mean you don’t have a problem. The test may not have successfully completed.

Let us know what you find.
Also on flip side once you fix the leak, will probably take a number of drives before the code disappears. I had a mildly leaky gas cap that we replaced, took probably 6 drive cycles before the light turned off.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Also on flip side once you fix the leak, will probably take a number of drives before the code disappears. I had a mildly leaky gas cap that we replaced, took probably 6 drive cycles before the light turned off.
But isn't it the sweetest thing when it does turn itself off? Machine - heal thyself! LOL

·
Registered
135 Posts
It takes four successful test passes to turn off the check engine light and 20 or 40 (I forget now, it’s been a while since I used to calibrate these diagnostics) to remove the DtC from memory.

On another note, these systems are prone to damaging the evap pump if the tank is overfilled and the evap system flooded with liquid. I highly recommend to never fill the tank past the first auto shutoff of the the bowser pump. I have had to replace my evap pump and I suspect this was the root cause.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But isn't it the sweetest thing when it does turn itself off? Machine - heal thyself! LOL
Well Technically I will be the one healing it and then it takes the dumb machine several weeks to find out that it was fixed.

I can delete the code. Is it clever enough to remember there was a problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts