RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 RR HSE with ~140k miles. No previous issues or warning signs:

I was on a trip a few weeks ago and stopped at a gas station. As I was turning around to head back out on the road, my driver front suspension completely deflated with a very loud "whoosh" of air and then failed to re-inflate. Literally sounded like someone stuck a knife in it. So much so that I actually thought the hose had somehow detached causing the abrupt deflation.

I was about 85 miles from home. After some research and deliberation I drove it home on bumps (yikes).

We took the tire off and inspected everything, and saw no issues. Dunked the bag and saw no leaks... We assumed something had happened inside the mechanism of the bag and decided to order a new one (we have replaced 3 now between both of our RR's). With the new bag installed, the truck aired up to normal ride height and held air. YAY! Another successful installation.....
.....Took it for a drive and about 3 miles down the road - the exact same thing happened. Whoosh of air - front ended up on bumps and then by the time we got it home, all 4 on bumps. *insert a lot of curse words*

Gave up and took it to a local shop - dude reset the ride height sensor (although he did say his tool would only give him access to the rear).
Went to pick it up, and the front was on bumps and the back was at access height. A couple miles down the road, the back faulted out to bumps as well. The front passenger side is now making some weird clicking noises.

Any insight or suggestions?

My husband just dropped it off at another local shop that has more RR experience, but I honestly feel like there are more experts in here :)
I need my baby back on the road!!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,947 Posts
from the report it sounds like you need to get new struts not just bags its more expensive but sometimes the bag swap isnt the best thing to do with worn out struts. Look at Island 4X4 UK for new Delphi struts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from the report it sounds like you need to get new struts not just bags its more expensive but sometimes the bag swap isnt the best thing to do with worn out struts. Look at Island 4X4 UK for new Delphi struts
sorry, i should've specified - we replaced the entire assembly, strut+bag.

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Well an easy observation is that your first shop didn't know what they were doing. There is nothing to reset on height sensors. The EAS system can either be read by diagnostics or not. There is no "rear only" when accessing the EAS ECU.

As far as your actual initial failure I would have guess that your rig had lowered to highway mode and an existing crack failed at the lower level bladder roll. Removing the strut would have closed the crack again.

As far as a new bag and follow up bits I am completely baffled. I've never heard of these kind of odd symptoms. Is your other Rover a similar model that you could swap the ECU to see if this is a very confused ECU?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

2nd shop finally had a chance to look at it. He said somehow the bearing caused the issue and we need to replace the assembly again.
Still not confident in the answer. Unfortunately the closest dealer is ~90 miles away :(
Guess we'll keep shop-shopping. Praying we have an epiphany before boat season or I'll be forced to trade her in :crybaby2:

open to any suggestions or advice!

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
A bearing would have absolutely no correlation with EAS issues. Did these shops get their certifications out of a Cracker Jacks box? :lol: I would not walk away from this latest shop.... I would run.

A bearing would present itself with growling or vibration in the steering wheel. As there is no connection to the EAS it is physically impossible for a a failed bearing to cause the EAS to go flat.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I must concur with rrtoad even though I am not anywhere close to his knowledge. It seems bizarre to say the least. I still recall the fellow with the rhino interior replacing his bags with springs due to a totally corroded set of valves on his rr due to moisture/rust issues which seemed to cause non repairable issues. Our 38 had issues but the new (to us) L322 has been basically flawless and untouched since we bought it. We did look at an 06 and the guy said his air dryer needed replacing so he had things disconnected as in this cold weather it affected his system. So maybe an area to check if the bags are ok. I had changed one airspring only on ours (an arnott part) and as an observer it really is amazing that the things work at all with all the seals and o-rings. I do look forward to a positive outcome for your dilemma.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts