Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Forum,

So the issue only happens when I'm cruising at any speed, and then give it a lot of throttle really fast. It clunks, and feels like it downshifts but only 1 gear. Haven't tried a kick down so not sure if it does it then.

I can be on highway going 65 or access road at 45, mash the throttle a bit but quickly and it clunks, slightly downshifts, and then gets going.

If I slowly ease into the throttle, it'll go until it knows it should just downshift, then it downshifts smoothly and really picks up.

Could this be a worn universal joint on the drive shafts? Or am I look at something more troublesome like a transmission/differential/torque convertor replacement?

2008 FFRR, HSE, 88k miles, no rust, no mud, everything underneath looks completely clean and no leaks anywhere.

Aside from this one issue, everything else is flawless. Special driving modes all engage and work. Low range engages and works. Parking brake works etc. This single clunk on quick acceleration is the only thing wrong with the rig.

Best,
Ashtray

edit: I do want to add that I am going to perform the BG 3 pack EPR, MOA and 44k this weekend or next. I am hoping that somehow that will clear up whatever the issue is IF it's fuel/MAP related. But if not, I am also ready to do a trans service in hopes that that is it. I may also inspect the MAF because you never know.

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover 4.2 SC V8
108 Posts
Could be transmission related. Might be worth doing a fluid/filter change as it's new to you anyway.
Could be a failing o2 sensor throwing the mapping off. Is the vehicle giving you any codes?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zero codes as far as the message center or CEL. But I haven't plugged it in to any devices. I can do that later this weekend when I'm not so slammed with work.

I pray I don't need to replace an entire transmission lol I can spring for a trans filter/fluid service or o2 sensors no problem.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I assume you have the same ZF6 transmission that I have in my 2006.

If so, it’s the shift solenoids. I bought new OEM solenoids on eBay for around $500 and put them in myself. Very simple job, there are videos out there showing you how to do it.

The vehicle drives like new afterwards. Shifts are decisive and smooth as silk. Great tranny.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
133 Posts
Do a fluid/filter change with ONLY ZF fluid, give it a few months, and go from there. At 88k, it's due. You'll be amazed at the difference.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was planning on that being my first step as it is in fact due. I planned on buying the kit from Atlantic British which I'm sure only comes with the appropriate fluid.

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover 4.2 SC V8
108 Posts
I would say check the modules for codes too. No sense in doing the fluids if the solenoids need replacing. It'll save you in the long run. I haven't tried but if you own a gap iid I think you can view the solenoids in live data

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't own one, but know someone who does. Either way I will be doing the fluids. But yes, you are right in plugging her in and seeing live solenoid data to see if there is an issue.

·
Registered
2008 Range Rover L322 HSE
236 Posts
I bought my transmission parts from here

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover Supercharged L322
187 Posts
I was planning on that being my first step as it is in fact due. I planned on buying the kit from Atlantic British which I'm sure only comes with the appropriate fluid.
I just did mine, got the upgraded pan, gasket, mechatronic sleeve and 1 piece filter from Lucky8 and the Liqui Moly ATF I got from FCP Euro for less than $7 per liter. I have about 2k on it since and all is well. It took 11 liters for the full flush.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did not get the upgraded kit as it was about $400 bucks. I got the plane Jane trans service package from Atlantic British. Its the pan/filter, gasket, tube, rubber o-ring, and authentic ZF fluid.

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover Supercharged L322
187 Posts
I paid under $150 for the kit then another $84 for 12 liters of fluid with free shipping on both orders.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
776 Posts
The upgraded pan is so worth it. Makes the job easy-peazy.
In the long run it will save time and money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well she's at 88k miles....I figure on the next trans service I'll be a bit better situated and I'll do the upgrade.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts