RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first post .. always awkward... I think I am in the right place but my wife has a 2008 LR RR with the 4.2L Supercharged engine.

Dealer quoted me > $500 for the pads - front and back. When i search on the 'bay or @mazon or whatever I find the pads for a fraction of that. Does that sound right to you guys? I just want to make sure I get the right pads.

Given the expense I am considering bringing the truck to a non-dealer. This particular mechanic has requested I buy the parts for him. not really sure why but there is a bit of a language barrier so i have to deal with it.

So, in addition to the pads, should I or do i need to provide the mechanic with other parts? I am thinking calipers, rotors, or other things he may find he needs. i figure at worst I can buy him the stuff and return what he does not need.

last question will the brake pad warning go off automatically or is that something only the dealer can reset?

Thanks for the help...
MJH

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
122 Posts
MJH,
Dealers always charge a lot more for parts and labor. The cost you quote for brake pads doesn't surprise me in the least. I've done all the work myself on our 2008 HSE, including brakes. I have had a set of Akebono Euro pads front and read for over 80k miles...with my wife doing the majority of the driving in town! You can probably get a set for each axle for <$80/axle. In Dallas, a friend was charged >$1200 for brake job at dealer.

If you use the nondealer, depending on mileage, in addition to pads, make sure he does a brake bleed. Fluid breaks down and absorbs water. It sounds like this RR is new to you. I try and bleed brakes every 4 years or 50k miles. Purchase the front and rear wear sensors. They're cheap. There's no warning reset necessary. When the sensor no longer shorts out on the rotor, the light will go out. If the mileage of your RR is high and you have a pulsating pedal when applying brakes, also consider rotors. I'd also probably get the hardware kit for rear axle (slider pins and dust boots for floating calipers in rear). Not sure about the monoblock Brembo front's but you can look online.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts