RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Long time lurker but I seldom post.

I recently picked up a low-mile '07 Supercharged in Stornoway Gray with the black interior. The truck was always dealer-serviced and is in really nice shape EXCEPT... The driver seat bottom and back are flat like a pancake. It's as if the foam has lost all its shape and thickness. (I can only assume that the PO was quite heavy ... ). The driver seat leather itself is in good shape. The rest of the interior is mint

I am trying to figure out the best way to fix this. I think there are two options

Option 1) Buy new seat bottom and seat back foam from the dealer and test my upholstery skills

Option 2) Swap the passenger seat bottom with the driver seat bottom (assuming this is possible and they are not L/R specific)

Any and all advice or opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
118 Posts
Swap the driver cushion with the passenger cushion as an interim fix and then keep an eye out on eBay or local Craigslist etc for a good used front passenger seat bottom (usually less worn than driver's - for obvious reasons).

You must make sure you get the cushion from 2007 - 2012 in a similar trim spec (the front seats up to 2006 have different bases/tracks).

I may have a decent one in my used parts stash, I'll take a look if it matches your interior trim and are interested.

As far as the seat back, that's "sided" because of the armrest.

What level trim leather do you have?

Rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Regarding level of trim leather -- It's an '07 Supercharged with the base / stock interior for the supercharged in black. I'd be interested if it's a like new cushion. Otherwise at $100 new they are not too bad

Thanks again

·
Registered
2011 RRSC
95 Posts
At that price I fail to see the economy in a used cushion and no way I would go through the hassle to dismantle two seats and switch the cushions. It is my understanding that all SC models from 07 on were equipped with the luxury interior package that includes heated/cooled seats.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
I can disassemble and pull the leather covers from L322 seats in about 20 minutes. Reassembly can be a pain due to the hogrings, but there are alot less than older models. Reassembly and testing takes about 30 minutes. For a relatively easy hour to do bottoms only, I'd do it in a heart beat in order to have a comfortable driver's seat. As far as using used parts... why not. Purchase a passenger seat cuchion so you don;t have to do the project twice for a swap. Foam degradation is very much dependent on climate. Chances are the passenger seat cushion from a northern or temperate climate should be in excellent shape. It certainly is going to be better than sitting close to the frame with the flat cushion he has. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here's what i ordered -

Part Number
Part Name
Price
Quantity
Total
HGL500040
Seat Cushion Heater
$58.61
$58.61
HGB500100
Seat Cushion Pad
$101.26
$101.26
HGA500610
Seat Back Pad
$189.52
$189.52
HGK500130
Seat Back Heater
$82.36
$82.36

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
118 Posts
A few tips to begin wth....

You'll need to remove the seat so before you disconnect the battery, raise the seat to its "tallest" point and LOWER the headrest to about 1" above the seat back.

Be VERY careful detaching the driver seat belt to seat attachment trim cover as the tabs on the trim piece are really easy to break off.

The best way to remove the cover is to try and "pop" it upwards vertically with a plastic hook type tool.

Run the seat forward to undo the two rear track to body bolts.

Run the seat backwards to undo the front two track bolts.

Let the seat tilt backwards onto the rear bench and then take pix of the wiring harness connectors you'll be unplugging.

Undo the seat belt from the left rear corner of the seat base frame (easier with the seat in that position).

Remove the seat from the car and begin your tear down....

You will basically be stripping the seat to change the foam over so take LOADS of pictures.

Good luck, Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts