RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Speedometer / Instrument Cluster replacement - possible issues?

Hi Everyone!
I am new to the site as I (my wife) has just taken delivery of our new (to us) 2007 RR Supercharged :) So far at least the vehicle appears to be in very nice shape, although I am sure I will be finding a few things to tinker with - had a P38 a few years ago that always craved attention in that department, lol!

So for my first question to the group .... the one thing, for now at least, that is really bothering my wife is the instrument cluster. It has a smallish but pretty deep gouge in the plastic lens. If I were driving it all the time I would definitely live with it, but as it is her baby I started to at least look at potential fixes. The crux of my question is regarding replacing the instrument cluster with a new/used one - If I replace the cluster with a new one, I believe I can copy the CCF (and other data) to the new cluster, so the odometer stays correct, etc. , as the new cluster is 'open' to do this. If I replace with a used one I don't think that this is possible based on my research - i.e. I can copy a lot of the CCF file and data, but there are some pieces of data that once are written cannot be undone - even with Faultmate. Is this true???

Obviously a good used cluster would be a LOT cheaper - but if there is no way to sync up the odometer in the cluster to the ECU, the odometer is going to be off, and then what kind of problems are we letting ourselves in for??? Obviously a new cluster from Land Rover is doable, but a LOT more expensive!

Anyone have any experience in this (very specific) area?? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Re: 2007 Speedometer / Instrument Cluster replacement - possible issues?

If the mark is just in the clear lens, try to find a used one and swap just the lens. The whole thing would need to be removed, which isn't the easiest thing in the world, but not too bad.

You are pretty much right with your assumptions, but a lower mileage unit should adopt the higher mileage of the vehicle, and the CCF won't cause any issues other then possibly having the manipulation dot next to the odometer, for a VIN mismatch.

The CCF data would be overwritten, but the hard values such as VIN and mileage, would not.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the response ! I might try pulling the cluster to see if replacing just the lens might be my best bet .....
As for the odometer - sounds like if the used cluster has less miles it will just revert back to the ecu mileage, but if it has more miles will it just display that higher mileage? I think I remember reading somewhere about that ... I.e. If it has a discrepancy between the cluster and the ecu it displays the higher of the 2 ...
On a separate note - regarding the possibility of using a used cluster throwing a manipulation light because of a VIN mismatch - does this only rear it's ugly head in this scenario, or have you seen/heard of any problems with other used modules having vin mismatches with the ecu? I am still just scratching the surface with the various modules and coding in the car, so I am not even sure which modules store the vin.....

·
Registered
3 Posts

As I understand it, the current total mileage is stored in the ECU, INstrument cluster and the LCM. The theory is that at least 2 of these will match and will be used to replace a different value introduced by a new component. If you have to replace more than of those parts in the same sitting - I suspect you're in for a whole load of trouble!

So did you opt to replace the plastic or did you go the whole hog?

Lee

2004 L322 Vogue

1 - 4 of 4 Posts