RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover Sport SC L320
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello.

The car fires right up and then stalls. Car does this on cold starts only.

A few weeks back it started doing this, and there was a CEL saying that the fuel cap was loose. It was in fact worn. I replaced it and it fired up from the start.

Fast forward a few days ago. The car would start and stall. The past couple of days, it took 4-5 turn of the key for the car to start. No CEL. Last time I had this issue, I had a bad cell on the battery. Battery has been replaced 3 times within 4-5 years.

I just had my battery replaced maybe a year ago. Alternator was changed in 2014. Is there an external voltage regulator for the alternator (I will check)?

I have the manual and have been checking for the recommendations per the symptom on the Service Manual (check air lines, air filter, etc). I constantly check the air/vacuum lines when I have the engine cover off and everything was time the last time I checked. Could it be the Fuel Pump/Filter? The recommendations say fuel system/fuel rail. The car runs well after it finally starts.

What do you guys think I should check for?

Thank you.

-John

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not discounting what you are saying, but cold start does not mean it is cold outside. Car is kept garaged so lately it’s been 60s in there so I don’t see how there could be binding.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
417 Posts
Sir we can agree or disagree but it is unlikely this can solved or fully diagnosed from the couch.
You can prove me wrong by measuting fuel pressure or at least get a stetheoscope and listen to body of fuel tank while someone starts the car. High pitch of fuel pump should change if it binds up.
Also, there could be somekind of fault that ECM detects and shuts down the engine to prevent damages but you said no check engine, right?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes no CEL. I do hear a whine/high pitch sound after the car stalls. Thats a tell tale sign that the fuel pump is struggling? Should there be a whine/high pitch sound or no during normal operation?

Trying to visualize what is happening before dropping the fuel tank which is not an easy task.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Normally, when fuel pump operates it does makes high pitch sounds.
I would listen to change in sound of fuel pump operation - this can be done at home with $10 tool from local automotive store. Before you go for fuel tank removal, please get measurment of fuel pressure - a lot easier task and will provide pretty much 100% answer about fuel pump performance. Also, get the errors read via obd port, regardless if check engine lights up or not, info in there can be helpful.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Also, not unique to LR but in general, if a Catalytic converter fails and plugs up the pathway completly or exhaust is somehow blocked or significantly limited it will cause start-stall situation.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Car has 130k. O2 Sensors were changed about 6 months ago. I do have an iCarsoft I930 and do not see any faults. Forgot to mention this in the beginning.

I do not have an exhaust blockage.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
410 Posts
Vacuum leak ? Do a smoke test on the intake (or have it done by an indie shop)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How much PSI does the fuel pump run on?

I check the vacuum hoses from time to time and they seem to be ok. I’ll check again today.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
611 Posts
What's a PCM update?
CONDITION SUMMARY:
DIFFICULT STARTING OR POOR IDLE AFTER STARTING SUPERCHARGED ENGINES
Situation: A customer may report a concern that the vehicle is difficult to start if it has been left standing for between 2-5 hours, or that the idle quality is poor for a short period after starting.
A calibration sensitivity issue in the Engine Control Module (ECM) software may be the cause.
Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Repair Procedure detailed in this bulletin to update the Engine Control Module software.
PARTS:
No parts required for this bulletin. Information purposes only.
TOOLS:
IDS DVD 104 with Patch File 2 (or later) software installed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
When did this come out?

CONDITION SUMMARY:
Situation: A customer may report a concern that the vehicle is difficult to start if it has been left standing for between 2-5 hours, or that the idle quality is poor for a short period after starting.
A calibration sensitivity issue in the Engine Control Module (ECM) software may be the cause.
Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Repair Procedure detailed in this bulletin to update the Engine Control Module software.
PARTS:
TOOLS:

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
611 Posts
When did this come out?

CONDITION SUMMARY:
PARTS:
TOOLS:
Old.
You have to diagnose your vehicle with jlr software.
It could be bunch of things.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well...

When I stuck the key in and waited for the chimes before turning the key over to start the engine, I was still hearing a whirring/whining sound which I assumed is the fuel pump priming - I never really noticed this sound before. Turned the key over after the whirring/whining sound and the car started right over.

Is this normal? Do you normally have to wait for the chimes and the (what i assume as the) fuel pump priming prior to starting the car?

Thanks.

-John

1 - 20 of 51 Posts