RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought this truck, and it only came with two blades. They're the HU92 variety. One of the blades is pressed into a generic plastic mold, so it looks like any old key for any old car from the 80's. The key that I have does everything. It unlocks and locks everything, as well as starting the vehicle.

I have no old/broken/whatever fob to go from, in programming another. In THIS situation, am I stuck going to Land Rover with VIN in hand?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
35 Posts
It sounds like it. I've been told by dealership and an indie shop that neither can reprogram a generic fob you buy on ebay or amazon. Have to go thru LR to get a fob with transponder unique to your VIN.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've had mine done by Indys. I did have the extra key though. Although on Staten Island in NY, call 12voltdoctor. He specializes in these and he'll let you know if its possible to program a key without having another. Then take it from there.

·
Registered
2004 4.4 V8 Vogue in Silver.
16 Posts
There are essentially 3 parts to your key. The first is the blade, which must be cut to match your locks. The second is the remote lock / unlock function, if you have one good key it's easy to program it to the car, there are lots of videos that show how on youtube. The third part is the immobiliser, which is a seperate chip within the key. This is the tricky bit - it needs to be done by somebody with the right kit but you certainly don't need a dealer to do it. Ask around your local town, there is bound to be somebody that can do it.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
What year do you have (it matters). the blade is the blade, any locksmith with the correct cutting tool can decode and recut you a new blade to match what you have. The door lock unlock portion is just a 315Mhz, or 433Mhz transmitter and again any ebay fob with the proper frequency circuit board in it can be programmed (sync'ed) by you to the truck in about 3 minutes. The immobilizer is what you are possibly going to have to pay LR for. Thats the little black chip inside the plastic FOB portion of the key that communicates with the immobilizer and unlocks the steering column and igntion switch. LR keeps a record of the data on those chips (or they actually have spares (which seems like a logistical nightmare) in the UK somewhere) and they will burn you a new chip, put it in a new FOB and ship it to the local dealer. (thats the 400 dollar option), then the dealer will try and jam you and hours labor to "Sync" the key to your truck (which you can do yourself). If you have an 02-05 you can buy a BMW key programmer for about 70 bucks and burn yourself new key chips (even if you don't have a current key), or you can get a CN900 mini for about 180 bucks and some cloner chips and make as many copies of the chip as you want (you do have to have at least one functional chip) for the 06 to 09's. Cloner chips just have a bigger antenna buried inside the chip to make the lower powered portable chip readers able to write to them, otherwise they are the same as the ID46 chips the trucks normally use. For 10's and up can be have chips burned by SDD (LR's diagnostic software.

This is what the inside of an 06 FOB looks like, the screwdriver is pointing to the immobilizer chip. The door lock,unlock circuit board is on the right.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What year do you have (it matters). the blade is the blade, any locksmith with the correct cutting tool can decode and recut you a new blade to match what you have. The door lock unlock portion is just a 315Mhz, or 433Mhz transmitter and again any ebay fob with the proper frequency circuit board in it can be programmed (sync'ed) by you to the truck in about 3 minutes. The immobilizer is what you are possibly going to have to pay LR for. Thats the little black chip inside the plastic FOB portion of the key that communicates with the immobilizer and unlocks the steering column and igntion switch. LR keeps a record of the data on those chips (or they actually have spares (which seems like a logistical nightmare) in the UK somewhere) and they will burn you a new chip, put it in a new FOB and ship it to the local dealer. (thats the 400 dollar option), then the dealer will try and jam you and hours labor to "Sync" the key to your truck (which you can do yourself). If you have an 02-05 you can buy a BMW key programmer for about 70 bucks and burn yourself new key chips (even if you don't have a current key), or you can get a CN900 mini for about 180 bucks and some cloner chips and make as many copies of the chip as you want (you do have to have at least one functional chip) for the 06 to 09's. Cloner chips just have a bigger antenna buried inside the chip to make the lower powered portable chip readers able to write to them, otherwise they are the same as the ID46 chips the trucks normally use. For 10's and up can be have chips burned by SDD (LR's diagnostic software.

This is what the inside of an 06 FOB looks like, the screwdriver is pointing to the immobilizer chip. The door lock,unlock circuit board is on the right. View attachment 284236
I've got a 2007, full sized, SC... I'm pretty sure it's 315mhz. I noticed that Lucky8 Offroad sells a kit with GAP tool, and unprogrammed key. They say you can do it, once you have the GAP tool. It's around $530. May go that route!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are essentially 3 parts to your key. The first is the blade, which must be cut to match your locks. The second is the remote lock / unlock function, if you have one good key it's easy to program it to the car, there are lots of videos that show how on youtube. The third part is the immobiliser, which is a seperate chip within the key. This is the tricky bit - it needs to be done by somebody with the right kit but you certainly don't need a dealer to do it. Ask around your local town, there is bound to be somebody that can do it.
Thanks so much! This is really helpful!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

This is what the inside of an 06 FOB looks like, the screwdriver is pointing to the immobilizer chip. The door lock,unlock circuit board is on the right. View attachment 284236
Thank you for posting this! It's all really useful information! I think I'm going to get away with not having to take it to dealer!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I don't know what other stuff the GAP tool does for you but for purely copying a key (adding a new one without having and original is a problem) the CN900-mini is cheaper. Takes about 5 minutes. If you were in Mass. I could do it for you for the price of the chip(s). but your about as far away as you can be in the US. See this thread;

1 - 11 of 11 Posts