RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had top and bottom engine steam wash yesterday and have this error message on start up. I also notice the knob does not react to anything I do and once I turn the knob an error occurs special program not available. I have read same issues with different sources. Could it be mine was related to the steam wash yesterday and affected a sensor?

Prior to this no error message on start up and light on the knob is fine.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
First question in trouble shooting is 'what changed'. What changed was the steam wash. I would guess water entered an ECU. Per other posts, check the ECUs under/behind the battery for water. best of luck, let us know.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Since it was a top and bottom pressure was it's most like a water fill connector on the under side. The top side will dry out by just running the engine. Crawl under and remove every connector and spray both sides of each connector with WD-40... you know Water Displacement formula #40.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Or wait for a few weeks for the system to dry out and in the meantime put up with transfer case issues and sometimes being stuck in low range.

This is a lesson to be learnt by new players, and it happen to me - never was the engine bay area - wipe down only. The system is designed to handle water being splashed up from underneath in normal driving in the wet and water crossings but it is not designed to have high pressure squirted in from the top.

As mentioned it will the the tfr case ECU that lives behind the battery. First unplug it and dewater the connection and then see if that fixes the problem. If not I believe (not done it myself) you can take the ECU out and open it up to let it dry out.

When I had my issues, the faults were intermittent and lasted 2 weeks - I did have to drive home once from the local shopping centre in low range. Normally when the gong sounded and the fault popped up a switch off/on fixed it for a little while until the next time - I soon learnt not to play with the hi/lo range switch.

Good luck

Garry

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
Or wait for a few weeks for the system to dry out and in the meantime put up with transfer case issues and sometimes being stuck in low range.
Dont just wait for it to go away. You will develop corrosion down the road where the water intrusion was in the connector. Best to find it right away while it is still acting up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'll try to crawl under as well as check under the battery. I attempted to pull out the battery and stripped the nut on the positive cable.

@RRToadHall - this is my first attempt to see the under side as I am a week old into Rovers. I know my Porsches (aircooled and watercooled) but this is relatively new to me. Where are the connectors located under side?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PROBLEM SOLVED...Just an update, I crawled under but couldn't see much so I used compressed air and carefully blew air under the engine bay and tranny area. Whatever I can reach with the hose I did but to no avail. Tried to remove the positive terminal and found out that both negative and positive were still moving despite tightening the terminals. I added a lead spacer which can be bought at any parts store. Nothing on its 3rd day light still doesn't come out on the terrain knob. Within the 1st and 3rd day I drove it 5 miles so it hadn't had much heat in the engine bay. Over the weekend, I drove around 100 miles and woke up the next day Monday, the 5th with the back on and no more error message "transmission range not available". So far its been 3 days since the light came back and so far everything looks normal.

Now I shall tackle the TPMS light which is irritating. I checked and wheels don't have TPMS so I ordered and just installed a set yesterday but havent driven it that far for it to re-learn. I was told I should have least drive it more than 12 mph for at least 15 minutes so the sensors can relearn by itself since there is no way to reset or relearn it thru a button.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts