RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought an '07 RRS HSE with a few known problems that I'm trying to fix myself. I have issues with the EAS (going to the bump stops) , the parking brake ( disconnected and missing hardware), and finally, a dashboard that shuts off on its own and then comes back to life again. Last week I took it to the dealer for diagnostics, and asked for a report. Here's what is says:

1) Remove/install suspension compressor - Internal failure
2) Parking Brake Module: Found parking brake module shutting down HS CAN network not allowing EAS to operate properly. Recommend new unit.
3) Transfer Box ECU: Found water damage at TBOX ECU causing communication failure at HS CAN network system

• The truck has 4 new Arnott airbags that I installed 3 months ago.
  • It has a brand new battery, also installed 3 months ago.
  • I just ordered a new replacement air compressor from Atlantic British. It will install it later this week.
  • Earlier today, I took the transfer box ECU out and cleaned the terminals and all plugs that connect to it. They were slightly corroded.
I understand how the CAN bus network operates, and that, if there are issues with modules (ECU) then comms break down since this is a serial network. Does what the dealer diagnosed make sense, and either way, what do you recommend that I do? Should I replace the parking break module? My plan is to buy all missing hardware and reconnect the brake cables to the shoes, regardless as I'm slowly putting this RRS back into shape.

Thank you - Samer

·
Registered
8 Posts
i just went through hell fixing up my 2006 RRS HSE. very similar scenario. two things at play:

bad IPC. the can bus terminates at the instrument cluster, so if it's faulty like mine was, you're getting TONS of lost comm codes.

faulty EAS computer. not sure how/why they both went... i know that the IPC is a semi-common failure, and it may be possible that the failing IPC invoked the failure of the EAS ECU.

at the end of the day, the EAS computer was sending over-voltage to the reservoir valve block, shorting out the original AND the known-good spare i fitted.

the loooong version of my story:
slow leak in front driver airbag.
air slowly leaks out, EAS decides to slowly deflate other bags periodically to keep the vehicle "level"
this repeats over and over until the bump stops are met.
i replaced my air compressor and reservoir valve
truck lifted up no problem
told truck to lower and system errors out (i assume this is where new valve block fried)
i scratched my head on this for months

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can you elaborate on: I have issues with the EAS (going to the bump stops) ?
under what conditions? overnight?
Hi Roman NJ,

I was having random issues with the EAS, working for a while, then faulting at other times by going to the bump stops. The constant now is that it's at the bump stops all the time when I start it up, doesn't matter if it sits overnight or not. As soon as I start the truck, I can hear the compressor working, and within a few seconds, get an EAS error message, and the "special programs" not available. I had a spare used compressor (condition unknown) that I swapped out, but still getting the same error and message. Like said in my original post, I ordered a new compressor anyway in order to eliminate that factor, and mostly based on the dealer's recommendation.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just went through hell fixing up my 2006 RRS HSE. very similar scenario. two things at play:

bad IPC. the can bus terminates at the instrument cluster, so if it's faulty like mine was, you're getting TONS of lost comm codes.

faulty EAS computer. not sure how/why they both went... i know that the IPC is a semi-common failure, and it may be possible that the failing IPC invoked the failure of the EAS ECU.

at the end of the day, the EAS computer was sending over-voltage to the reservoir valve block, shorting out the original AND the known-good spare i fitted.

the loooong version of my story:
slow leak in front driver airbag.
air slowly leaks out, EAS decides to slowly deflate other bags periodically to keep the vehicle "level"
this repeats over and over until the bump stops are met.
i replaced my air compressor and reservoir valve
truck lifted up no problem
told truck to lower and system errors out (i assume this is where new valve block fried)
i scratched my head on this for months
Are you then suggesting that I need to look at the valve block as well? I mean it sounds plausible, and at this point about the only major component that I haven't replaced yet! I will wait to install my new compressor, and then go from there.

Thank you for the feedback!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got the chance to replace the compressor and everything seems to be working normally now.
One question: I've only driven it once since I installed the new compressor, and I can hear the compressor being active from time to time, perhaps more than it should? Does the system need to go through a "learning" or "self-calibration" process, adjusting the levels ever so slightly, and then settling into a "steady" mode? It seems to me that the compressor is being overly active for now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2nd post today, getting very frustrated with the EAS!

So I drove the RRS for the 2nd time today for about 20 miles, and as I was getting close to my house, the air suspension warning light came on (orange light with the 2 opposing arrows pointing sideways), and the message: Suspension Fault Normal Height Only. I restarted the truck and the warning light did not come back on.

• 4 new Arnott air bags
  • 4 new height sensors
  • 1 new compressor
What now?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry for the delay. I kept getting that damned C1A1364 and those same warnings.
I said F it and shelled out the coin for a new Arnott AMK style compressor and updated the software.
Error free since, although I’m out a chunk of change. I tried three different hitachi style compressors and tons of other new components.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the delay. I kept getting that damned C1A1364 and those same warnings.
I said F it and shelled out the coin for a new Arnott AMK style compressor and updated the software.
Error free since, although I’m out a chunk of change. I tried three different hitachi style compressors and tons of other new components.
As I said above, I now have 4 new airbags, 4 new height sensors, and a new Hitachi compressor. The truck no longer goes to the bump stops, and for the most part stays at normal height.

I say for the most part, because when I start it up, most times it will drop about 1/2" in the rear ONLY, and then the compressor runs to adjust the height back to normal. This also happens intermittently as I slow down coming to a traffic stop, for example. Both instances, I will get the orange warning light and the message.

Could it be that the rear valve block is the culprit? If not, what else is it?

Thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts