Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 RR suspension height limits, can you reprogram back to 2006 specs?

All--

(Drat, I posted this originally in the L320 forum... my mistake)

My trusty 2002 got in accident so I'm now looking at new rover. I've been looking at a local one ower 2007 but after reading the model specs on RR.net I'm concerned about the off-road capaiblity of the 2007 model.

(Copied from the RR.net 2007 RR model specs page)

The HSE’s suspension calibrations (spring and damper rates) were "upgraded" to match those on the Supercharged model, giving a somewhat harder more sporty ride, with vertical wheel travel reduced to 7.6 inches/194 mm at the front (down from 10.75 inches) and 11.5 inches/292 mm at the rear (down from 13 inches). On the other hand, the recalibrated suspension settings evidently gave an increased ramp breakover angle in off road mode of 30 degrees (instead of 28 degrees on the 2003-2005 models).

OK, so in 2007 we lost about 3" of front travel and 1.5" travel in the read. Not good IMO.

Any idea what the suspension changes are (shorter shocks?, shorter bellows?) on the 2007? Can you put the 2006 shocks and air springs with some reprogramming of the EAS?

I also notice the Terrain Response system now interacts with the air suspension as well. Does that mean we can't reprogram the height settings anymore?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Re: 2007 RR suspension height limits, can you reprogram back to 2006 specs?

Well, I'll copy what I posted while you were moving it to this thread, and see if someone can just get rid of that other thread.

I may be wrong, and will have to double check some files I don't have on this computer, but according to the specs I have, 03-09 L322s all have 270mm/330mm of wheel articulation front/rear, when both wheels moving at the same rate(sway bars will limit individual wheel travel)

The main difference that I know of between the 03-06NA and 06SC-09 front struts is the built in castor angles, slightly less positive for the +07, and the mass dampener installed on the SC versions.

Also, terrain response is solely an output to different systems, so it really doesn't do anything, just tells other things how they should be working, such as changing throttle opening speeds, changing shift points, or limiting ABS activation.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Dave--

Thank-you! My RAVE only goes up to the BMW version of the L322. So it looks that there is nothing really different physically in the base suspension (baring the handing enhancements, sway bars, etc).

All--

Anyone have experience using one of the aftermarket programmers to change the ride height limits on a 2007 model? After many hours I have my EAS working perfectly on the 95RR-LWB with rear bellows all around for better off road clearance... and would like the same opportunity on the L322.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

OK, after Dave's expert advice I reread the 2006 Model year specs and found:

Less publicized was the fact that as a result, wheel travel on the Supercharged model was reduced form 10.75 to 7.5 inches at the front, and 13 to 11 inches at the rear. On both models, the "highway" setting which lowered the suspension slightly for highway cruising was eliminated. On the other hand, according to the official specifications the wading depth on both models was increased to 27.5 inches and ramp breakover angle was increased from 28 to 30 degrees.

So it looks like this suspension loss was a change to for all 2006 and later models.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

I'm not sure how accurate that information is, as +06 absolutely still has a motorway/high speed mode, just with a raised speed range.

·
Registered
711 Posts

My '06 Supercharged does not have a highway mode. The '06 SC also uses the same front air springs as the '07 on, and not the springs of the naturally aspirated '06.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

My '06 Supercharged does not have a highway mode. The '06 SC also uses the same front air springs as the '07 on, and not the springs of the naturally aspirated '06.
It does.

It is not selectable, and gives no indicator of it lowering, but it lowers 20mm at 100mph.

Also, after looking into this a little bit more, from what I can gather, I think that LR changed the way that they were measuring this. 03-05 is as stated above. 06 is 203mm front, 310/292mm NA/SC rear. The difference in rear is due to a different rear shock, and aside from a different engine, and height sensors, I don't know of a difference up front from 05-60NA.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

You can absolutely change the height settings in software, the same as with the 03-05 models.... but this wouldn't actually change the total amount of travel that is possible at each wheel. I had an 04, and now have an 07 SC... I've taken them both off road (though much more on the 04 since I had it for five years)... haven't noticed any difference other than the smoother throttle response (also WAY more torque!!) at low range / low gears which IMO is an improvement from the older models, you feel more in control. I'm sure part of it is having 6 gears instead of 5, but also the terrain response stuff does things to make it easier, but there is nothing it does that you couldn't do with the older version if you are careful and know how to drive properly.

I don't do any "serious" rock crawling (due to my fear of causing body damage) and that is where you might actually see this manifest, so take my anecdotal experience with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

OK, so thereis less travel per the specs... but in real life you are likely not to notice. :)

Thanks for all the great replies... now I need to start a new thread on HSE vs. SC. ;^)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts