RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what is likely wrong with my heated/cooled seat on a 2007 RR. The heater isn't working, but I also noticed that the fan isn't coming on. I checked the fuses, but they seem to be fine. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2007 HSE
388 Posts
My driver's side seat does not currently work -- it stopped working last Spring. I was told it was because the fan duct in/under the seat was cracked. Apparently if it is cracked, the fan cannot operate.

I was informed that the cause was the seat being moved backward in its track while having an immovable object on the floor behind the driver's seat. I don't recall anything like that happening, and if in fact it does work that way, I question the design of the seat...

Anyway, that's the explanation I was given. I think they wanted somewhere north of $500 to fix it, and I was passing through town at the time so didn't have time to get it fixed, so it's still inoperable. Passenger side still works just fine.

If you find a fix, please post.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
That makes absolutely no sense. How could a crack in a piece of plastic keep an electrical item from operating?

·
Registered
2007 HSE
388 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing.

When I turn the cool on high, I hear the fan come on for just under a second, then it stops. I keep thinking one of these days I'm going to open up the seat and throw some duct tape in there to "fix" it.

If anyone has any ideas about how the fan system works in the heated/cooled seats, I love to know more.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5 Posts
For my car, it was a cracked fan. The dealer saved the old fan for me, so that I could inspect it. It looks like hell when it cracks. The luxury package (heated/cooled) seats do not use a heating pad. Instead, a complex fan creates both hot and cold air (depending on which way you have rotated the nob).

If the fan housing is cracked, then the air pressure changes and fresh air won't pass over the heating element, so a sensor shuts off the heating element to prevent it from shorting out and starting a fire. Think of it like your car's exhaust: if the exhaust was completely blocked, then the engine wouldn't be able to pull in air through the intake. If the fan housing is cracked, there isn't any pressure to keep pulling hot air away from the heating element.

LR redesigned the housing with something more flexible, so a new housing shouldn't crack.

·
Registered
2007 HSE
388 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it greatly so I know what to look for.

Any ideas on how difficult to DIY?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts