Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Rangerover Sport TDV6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, age old fault I know but need help.
My 161km 2007 2.7 V6 Sport has been throwing HDC faults at me for the past 5/6 months now. It just started randomly at any speed above 40kph and never comes on when hitting a pot hole or pump, never whle on the the throttle hard or medium, never coasting but only at a steady throttle.
I have been documenting the triggers (which none I can see set it off on the road) and the codes and each time it give me 11 codes and some time even had 15. The cycle of the key resets it and it could be fine for 1km or the next 100km, totally random.
It has done it on a cold or warm day out my gate at 100m and other times 500km. Either first thing a few times and never again that day or it just goes bong bong bong all day long and other times noting for 3 to 4 days……
Inhave a Nanocom Evo and have Reset the steering angle and checked it wasn’t spinning loose on the column, fitted new lower control arm bushes which were worn then had Landrover do the alignment, replaced the suspension compressor, fitted 2 new brake switches in case the new one was faulty. Bought a new 830amp battery, checked the connections behind the battery for the usually water entry and sprayed contact cleaner in every connection I could find. I sanded and retightened all the earth straps I could see, removed the center console and cleaned every plug on the loom to the center controls for off roading modes plus the auto shifter circuit board.
I also carried on lower down to the Yaw sensor in case the connection some how got wet and pulled the plugs down there and sprayed contact cleaner in as well.
I borrowed a friends auto shift cluster in case mine had once had a spilt drink through or some thing but it bonged with on a few km from home, I also borrowed his throttle box but there too set the HDC fault off during the day,
I have dropped the BCU/ fuse box and checked and cleaner all plugs and also Pulled the trans ecu out the right side and cleaned all the plugs.
I also pulled all the plugs behind the left rear wheel and cleaned them too…………
the fault codes are coming back as “lost communication to ecu” To the ride height, engine , gear box etc. All at once And some are intermittent and some historic.
1. U0123- lost coms to ride height ctrl.
2. U2023 - Ctrl. Module network signal calibration fail.
3. U0100 - Lost coms to engine ctrl module
4. U0416 - Invalid data from vehicle dynamics module, BUS signal/ msg fail (historic)
5. U0401 - Invalid date form engine control module
6. U0402 - Invalid date form trans control module
7. U0416 - Invalid data from dynamic ctrl module, component fail (historic)
8. B1A03 - Speaker 3 circuit open, intermittent
9. B1A01 - Speaker 1 circuit open, intermittent
10. B1A04 - Speaker 4 circuit open, intermittent
11. B1A02 - Speaker 2 circuit open, intermittent

99% of the time it’s always these … I then clear the codes and exit the Nanocom like one should so it’s not spiking any thing possibly.

im pretty patient with this sort of stuff and am an ex VW/ Audi and Landrover mechanic for the earl 90s so have some understanding of cars etc but this has me stumped.
I even asked a Landrover Mechpanic friend to use his code reader and it gives the same faults and we calibrated the ride height with both machines as well to be safe.

I don’t have the money to take it to a dealer and leave it for them to methodically go through every thing open endedly cost wise but understand they are better trained etc.

I love the Sport and pulls like a train being diesel plus really good on fuel too despite towing my bob tailed Disco 1 on a trailer to go off roading.
Would love some more help or checks to do or look at folks
Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Car

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover 4.2 SC V8
198 Posts
All the 'u' communication codes shouldn't be taken too seriously. One comm issue can cause the whole network to crash, like you're seeing and we can assume this is correct as all the modules are on the can hi network. Because you're getting a an HDC fault I would first be looking at the abs system (dynamic control). Possibly a failing wheelers sensor? Can you verify readings with live values?
Next I would be checking continuity on can hi wiring. I say this because of #4 above.
Next would check abs pump status. The hydraulic unit has a pressure sensor which controls a relay to start/stop the abs pump. My understanding of the pressure sensor is that it reports above 10km/h and in forward only. This should happen immediately above 10k so likely not the problem but review live data values.

HDC and DSC are linked in series through the abs module. So I suggest this as your starting point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Aaron

wow, that’s a very good run down and next steps for me to try. I didn’t come close to knowing or understanding those points. Interesting about the “U” codes too so that punks for that.
one bit I need to mention is that the previous owner mention having rear air bags replaced and the mechanic mentioned he some how dropped or lowered the rear rear to far and yanked on the ride height sensor wire. One can see the outer shoe that is gone and the the wires are visible but he said he checked it and the they were intact. I wonder if this can be tested and how in case there is a bad connection?

but I will work on the other items you mention for sure. Thanks heaps.
Bernie

All the 'u' communication codes shouldn't be taken too seriously. One comm issue can cause the whole network to crash, like you're seeing and we can assume this is correct as all the modules are on the can hi network. Because you're getting a an HDC fault I would first be looking at the abs system (dynamic control). Possibly a failing wheelers sensor? Can you verify readings with live values?
Next I would be checking continuity on can hi wiring. I say this because of #4 above.
Next would check abs pump status. The hydraulic unit has a pressure sensor which controls a relay to start/stop the abs pump. My understanding of the pressure sensor is that it reports above 10km/h and in forward only. This should happen immediately above 10k so likely not the problem but review live data values.

HDC and DSC are linked in series through the abs module. So I suggest this as your starting point.

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover 4.2 SC V8
198 Posts
Interesting... Next time it does it, look at your ride height screen and see if all the wheels are level. If it was a height sensor problem you would expect to get a suspension fault on the dash and some like normal height of my or extended mode but easy enough to check I suppose.

If you can find wiring diagrams for your model year they will show you the pin out numbers on each connector. I use individual strands from cat 6 data cable to jumper these wires at the device and test continuity at the connector. This will verify the wiring and help you isolate if it's the sensor or not. Modules do not fail as often as the components so dont just run to eBay for used modules.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the the further suggestions and info. Will keep chipping away at it.
I called the old owner again today and asked if it ever did this while he had it but he said no, only that the back end was riding so high as it seemed it didn’t know where the correct height setting was which is the way I bought it. He originally asked me to take a look at it as he is a rural contractor and came to cut and bail my paddocks and noticed my other 2 Landrovers and asked if I could look at his wife’s Sport. He mention his wife was threatening to “bury” him if he spent any more money on it haha. So I reset ride height which leveled the vehicle out and sorted a few other small things out but it needed a new compressor. At that point he said enough and sold it to me for a silly low price which I jumped at and put a new compressor in and it didn’t fault till a few months later.
Today I thought what about the abs sensor on the left rear? If his mechanic some how stressed that wire when it sagged down too low it could have stressed the internals in the wire? So I shot to a friend‘s farm to steal his abs sensor off a parts vehicle D3 and will run that today and see if it fails in case it’s just that originally faulty side.
will keep you posted.

Interesting... Next time it does it, look at your ride height screen and see if all the wheels are level. If it was a height sensor problem you would expect to get a suspension fault on the dash and some like normal height of my or extended mode but easy enough to check I suppose.

If you can find wiring diagrams for your model year they will show you the pin out numbers on each connector. I use individual strands from cat 6 data cable to jumper these wires at the device and test continuity at the connector. This will verify the wiring and help you isolate if it's the sensor or not. Modules do not fail as often as the components so dont just run to eBay for used modules.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so it did the same HDC fault with in 3km of my house so its not the abs sensor or cable as I thought could be a cause knowing of the stress it apparently through a while back.

the other thing that happed a few weeks back when I stripped the center console to try see the extent of the mess from a spilt drink( looked like Coke as was black and sticky) and had the drinks holder out plus the auto shift top trim with the HDC switch etc and when I reached I to disconnect the last main black musty pin plug from the auto shift box I bumped the disconnected little plugs and next thing the bing bing bing started on its own, it told me me key was in which it wasn’t as it was on the drivers seat plus the wipers started on their own!
I jiggled the wires again and it did it a second time for a split second and then never did it again. This made me think there must have been split drink damage in the middle some where hence stripping the whole console and front seats out last weekend and cleaning every thing I could see with drink stains including the yaw sensor box and earth terminal plus the loom cluster. I can’t replicate this fault any more the the HDC fault still comes back and was so sure it was the source of the fault…..but no.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I have the most random feed back after having “fixed” my HDC fault………….
im bloody happy to say it’s sorted and hasn’t played up since installing a stage 1 tune and deleting the EGR on the ecu.
After thinking the HDC is only triggered by any thing suspension, trans, yaw sensor etc related it turns out that after 6-7 months it turns out the 2008 has an air flow sensor in the egr but I had blanked them off and inadvertently created the fault.
apparently it’s part of the emissions regulation and cause of low flow it triggered the fault to say low air flow which I saw and kept clearing but thought it was just because I blanked it. It never showed a fault on the dash, only when scanned.
the chap loading the stage 1 tune noticed it and ask if he should delete the function from the ecu, I said yes please and right there it stopped faulting.
I installed a throttle controller as well and now there isn’t any turbo lag on the Sport3 setting and goes like snot, super happy!!!!!

thanks for every one help and suggestions, I really appreciate the input but turned out to be my own fault unknowingly……still baffled how it triggered the HDC but don’t care hahaah

1 - 7 of 7 Posts