RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New to the board but have been reading for quite some time. Looking at a 07 RR SC today for possible purchase. I have read/searched ALOT of info on here about various tire sizes, and sizes with the Johnson rods lift. From what I've re searched, it appears that any tire that is less than 32 inch will work without rubbing but have read some conflicting responses on the site.

I want to be 100 percent sure that I choose the right tire size, that does not require any wheel well modification, and WILL NOT rub.

I'm considering keeping the stock 20 in wheels, have them painted or dipped in black, and buy some BF Goodrich All Terrains which are my preference. I understand there are other 18inch wheel options etc, but I want to keep things simple w the original wheels.

So...
1. Please advise exactly what tire size in the BFG All Terrains will work best and is 100 percent safe from rubbing?

2. If there is also a suggestion for another brand tire in the all terrain category, that also has a somewhat aggressive look/tread, please include as well.

3. Will wheel spacers help with rubbing?

If anyone has pics of their Johnson Rod setup with tires that don't rub, please include.

·
Administrator
27,800 Posts
There are a couple of photos in their vendor section below. As far as what EXACT tyre size someone is running it's a crap shoot. Tyres vary in tread depth thus the same size tyre by different makers have different diameters/circumference. Treads also vary in width depending on design. Although the difference is not as great diameter differences, it can still impact an exact size rubbing and that same size not rubbing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense.

Just trying to find out what has worked for those with this exact truck/lift.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
131 Posts
Go by the overall diameter. I’m running BFG AT KO2 265/65/18 but you can’t with those big brembo brakes and will end up with a shorter sidewall. Further, you’re restricted to the same diameter maximum as I am in an HSE; I think I’m at 31.5, where 32 is max, I don’t remember.

I don’t run rods unless, I’m wheeling. Frankly, I wouldn’t recommend running them full time unless you get an alignment to match, as it will throw the DSC on and you’ll get subsequent ABS braking while making sharp turns.

As for tires, the KO2 is strong but as the tread wears, it gets annoyingly louder. I’m going to switch over to Cooper when these run down.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
128 Posts
So just to be clear... you're running BFG AT KO2 265/65/18 on a stock RRS (at least stock while on the street) with no absolutely rubbing at all?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
131 Posts
Just to be perfectly crystal reverse osmosis clear, yes, I have no issues at standard height without the use of rods. You may have some lugs catch on the wheel well cover when making tight turns (reversing from a parking spot or a k-turn) when they are new but it’ll fade with tread wear. You will certainly get rub when turning in access mode - low ceiling garage type thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts