RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off thank you for any advice or help with these issues.

A little bit about the truck: 2007 RR HSE w/ 178K miles. I have owned and regularly maintained the truck since about 55K and have had little to no issues, other than a short that cause lights to come on, both front struts, and a compressor for the suspension cue saga...

Driving to work the other day, the truck went into limp mode because of "Engine system failure". The shifts between 1st and 2nd had a delay/lag between them where the rpm would continue to rise but the shift was delayed. after taking it to the shop the follow codes come up

1) P0730-00 - Incorrect gear ratio
2) P2105-00 - Throttle actuator control System forced engine shutdown
3) P0420-00 - Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank1)
4) P0430-00 - Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank2)
5) P0442-00 - Evaporative Emissions Control System Leak Detected (Small Leak)
6) P2402 -00 - Evaporative Emissions Control System Leak Detection Pump Control - Circuit High
7) P061A-64 - Internal Control Module Torque Performance
8) P061A-29 - Internal Control Module Torque Performance

The shop is wanting to replace the transmission at $7K, and the leak detection pump for $437, both cats (awaiting estimate) and they are unsure if this will fix everything.

Questions I am asking myself:
1) is it worth fixing or am I falling for the sunk cost fallacy
2) If I fix it, should I replace the cats now?
3) What happens if I fix the truck $8-9K and the P2105 and P061 codes don't vanish. (I am fairly well versed in LR as I have had a disco and this RR but no clue on these codes)

Thinking of maybe driving it off a cliff or selling it for scrap metal or fixing it, have not exactly decided so your thoughts and advice is much appreciated. Thanks again for all of your help.

·
Registered
338 Posts
RRPHIL is the guy you want to hear from on transmission issues. once he sees your post he will respond to you.All the best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: having the truck transported from DC area to NC where my shop is located. The guys in NC diagnosed my last "major breakdown" successfully saving me $3,500 that some crooks in Kernersville, NC quoted me. This was all because the shop in Kernersville didn't jump my bluetooth module correctly causing a short in the system.

Ultimate auto transport quoted me $250 for shipping the truck down so for peace of mind I am going this route.

4x4 land in VA charged $0 for the diagnosis since no parts were taken off big thanks for that.

I will update the feed after my second opinion comes back.

If my second opinion come back with the same estimate I will most likely be offloading the truck. Wondering if the scrap yard will give me more than carmax hmmmmm

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I don't think any of those codes except possibly the P0730 code originated from the transmission, they are all engine related codes, and the P0730 probably originated from the ECM as a result of one of the other codes. The P2105 code is the result of the engine control module (ECM) going into a failsafe mode, the ECM limits the throttle use because it has detected some other fault in the system. The P061-29 is a code for an S/C engine, the -64 on is for the NA engine. Those P0420 and 0430 codes don't just appear out of nowhere, and they never would come in together. You have some kind of a vacuum/fueling issue, not a transmission one. My wild guess is you have an issue with your throttle body, either is gone bad (unlikely) or its filty with PCV and EGR gases.

Check your battery condition and reset the codes and see what comes back.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I guess I should have said the P061A DTC is am internal control torque calculation failure code in the PCM. It probably came about because the throttle position input did not meet the calculated engine torque output either caused by the drive by wire throttle being overridden by the P2105 code, or as a result of whatever caused the P2105 code. The P2105 is a forced engine shutdown caused by a loss of fuel (could be loss of pressure or flow), which in turn probably caused your P0420 and P0430 codes. wonder if they really meant P2106 which is the limp mode code for the throttle actuator, because P2105 should have shut the engine off?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everything you said is what Platinum automotive in NC told me but I understand without looking at the truck its hard to tell. I will update on Tuesday when I hear back from the shop.

·
Registered
183 Posts
P2105 is given when there is a lack of correlation between the throttle pedal position (as seen by the computer) and the throttle butterfly valve (as seen by the computer). The engine has shutdown for safety because the computer doesn't believe what it is seeing to avoid such bad things as sudden acceleration (c.f. Toyota).

This one needs to be looked at first - consider the throttle pedal (there are two potentiometers in there - one or both may be erratic or open circuit), PCM, throttle body etc. Fix that, clear the codes then see if the other codes come back.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
same thing happened to my 2007 RR SC- They need top of the line battery for the massive electronics drain. I put in a new one and all problems diapered. I found the answer here

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright everyone, Sorry for the delay. Work has been crazy and the truck has been last on my priority list. Anyways here is the deal.

Had the truck shipped to a shop I trust a little more.

After two days of diagnosis it turns out the clutch pack for 1 + 2 were smoked. The trans was in Limp Mode because of this and the lag I felt was the vehicle starting in 3rd gear .....

Evap control pump is going to be replaced as well

Cats, they are apparently giving a code but I am waiting to fix this because they are $3K .... Any idea where to find these cheaper?

Turns out everything the shop here in DC told me was true, however I am getting better prices for parts in NC. DC shop quoted me $439 for evap pump and $7K for transmission and the shop in NC is doing the trans for $5K and the evap for $239 labor is also cheaper so either way I am saving money.

After much consideration I also decided to fix the truck. After test-driving some new SUVs, I was completely unsatisfied as to how they drove so I am fixing this hunk of metal.

I hope this helps someone down the road. If you have any questions reach out

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Do you have emissions testing in NC? If they are not physically damaged (ie melted or otherwise blocking exhaust flow) just put in a pair of O2 sensor extension tubes on the post cat sensors (for testing purposes only of course) clear the codes and call it a day. The Truck is 11 years old at this point. If you really need cats theres some on Ebay for about 400 a side for the 06-09 L322's. Have no idea on their quality or expected life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you are the man. thank you.

Do you have emissions testing in NC? If they are not physically damaged (ie melted or otherwise blocking exhaust flow) just put in a pair of O2 sensor extension tubes on the post cat sensors (for testing purposes only of course) clear the codes and call it a day. The Truck is 11 years old at this point. If you really need cats theres some on Ebay for about 400 a side for the 06-09 L322's. Have no idea on their quality or expected life.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts