Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of the blue my rear hatch doesn't lock., everytime I hit the lock button the horn sounds,. and when I close it I can hear the soft close on the lower portion working but the top latch doesn't grab onto the lower part. Has anyone heard of this issue and know of the fix for it? I would really appreciate any guidance on this :)

Tom

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Make sure the top window is firmly closed on the hatch.

If that's ok, just to clarify, you hear the little motor on the soft close actuator working, but you can still pull up the hatch afterward?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah,. I can here the soft close working on the lower portion,. but the part of the tailgate doesn't 'grab' on the bar from the soft close. The window should be closed firmly. if it isn't then then tailgate wont lock? And when I mean lock,. I mean like after I shut it,. I can pull it open with out hitting the button,. just spoke with my wife,. she said she can't even get the glass open.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Check the fuse first. On the 2007 its #65. If that's not it then you might need to replace that latch as you noted. I've never had that one out on mine so not sure if there's an alignment adjustment. As far as the glass goes, that is separate--a rubber membrane covered switch above the license plate. If that doesn't work either, it could be bad. Not uncommon for that one to go. Mine failed ~80K. Its easy to replace --it has tabs on each end that are pressed in with a flat bladed screwdriver to remove it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where are the fuses located? I've never had to find them. Is the fuse located under the dash or in the engine compartment? You wouldn't happen to have a repair manual showing where everything is located by chance? BTW thank you so much for your help :)

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
With the lower tailgate open, and upper fully closed, see if you can take something(screwdriver, key blade, small pick, finger) and latch the lower tailgate latch manually. This should let you know if you're looking at a mechanical issue with the latch, or something else. Also check to ensure that there is nothing blocking the latch to fully engage.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
With the lower tailgate open, and upper fully closed, see if you can take something(screwdriver, key blade, small pick, finger) and latch the lower tailgate latch manually. This should let you know if you're looking at a mechanical issue with the latch, or something else. Also check to ensure that there is nothing blocking the latch to fully engage.
Just make sure you don't latch the tailgate closed and then can't get it open. Then you have to break apart trim and panels to get at it. This happened to me where the latch would not open and the hatch was closed. Fortunately it was under warranty and LR paid for the break and enter job.

The fuses are detailed in your owners manual or the one Topix which you can access via the sticky.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just bought a repair manual for $20 online. I see the fuse is behind the glove box. As far as the latch on the tailgate,. with it opened up I tried pushing a screw driver to latch it over it and it never locks on. Gonna look tonight at the fuse and again at the latch.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
With the vehicle completely unlocked, press the latch in again, and then hit the release button. Basically try to trick the latch into releasing by showing it a 'closed' signal, and then releasing it electrically.

The latch itself is mechanical though, so at this point a fuse should not be the issue.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
You locked the lower one? Uh-oh.

Just make sure you don't latch the tailgate closed and then can't get it open. Then you have to break apart trim and panels to get at it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well,.,.,., my wife's car,. and she told me a couple days ago when I asked about it opening if she hits a bump,. and she was like no it doesnt even open now. So am I screwed? What is my first step? :/

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Well,.,.,., my wife's car,. and she told me a couple days ago when I asked about it opening if she hits a bump,. and she was like no it doesnt even open now. So am I screwed? What is my first step? :/
I don't know exactly, except the dealer broke apart the bottom plastic trim panels on the hatch to get it open. Don't know if there's another way in.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Try applying pressure to the tailgate and then hitting the button.

Also, to check to see if it is on the input or output side, try to program the third button on the remote to both(one at a time) the upper and lower tailgate release.

You might also get lucky and be able to press the dash lock/unlock buttons at the same time(very time sensitive, so try a few times) which is a tailgate release override, but does not function if the pull down motor position is not known.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts