RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests, is anyone able to explain how to access the fuel filter? I believe it's basically part of the fuel pump and I have a replacement one already. I thought there might have been an access point under the rear seats but there isn't. I'm thinking I will probably end up having to drop the tank down to get access but hoping someone knows of an easier way. I've tried using google to find out but can't find any information on it.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
841 Posts
This is all copied from my CD repair manual. Available on ebay for about 10 bucks.

Fuel filter Located in the fuel delivery module - fitted with a renewable element.

Fuel Pump Module
The fuel pump module is attached to the base of the fuel tank by the bayonet fitting. The pump module flange has three electrical
connectors; one for the fuel pump motor and one for each of the fuel level sensors. All are connected to the external electrical
connector via the connectors on the underside of the fuel pump module flange.
The pump module has a maximum rated flow of 180 liters/hour (47.55 US gallons/hour) and an output pressure of 5.0 bar (72.5
lbf/in2).
The fuel pump is energised by the fuel pump relay which is located in the Battery Junction Box (BJB) and the fuel pump control
module which is located in the left hand side of the luggage compartment. The relay and control module are controlled by the
engine control module The relay is energized at all times when the ignition switch is in ignition position II.
A 60 micron fine mesh, pump inlet filter is attached to the pump inlet port at the bottom of the pump. The filter is located
vertically at the side of the pump to ensure that a portion of the filter is off the base of the swirl pot to prevent premature
blocking of the filter.
A second, serviceable fine mesh filter is located in-line. This provides additional filtration to the fuel before it is passed to the fuel
rail. The filter has an electrical connection which is attached to ground to prevent electrostatic build-up.
The PRV, which is located in-line before the fuel filter, incorporates a non-return valve which prevents fuel returning to the pump
when the engine is not running. This ensures that system pressure is maintained in the fuel feed line to the fuel rail when the
engine is not running. It also incorporates an over pressure valve which relieves pressure at between 5.6 and 6.4 bar (81.2 to
92.8 lbf/in2) during 'hot-soak' conditions when the vehicle is switched off.

Release the fuel pump module access flange.
Loosen the screw.
Remove the clamp.
5. Remove the fuel pump module access flange.
Disconnect the vent line.
Disconnect the fuel supply line.
Disconnect the 3 electrical connectors.
Remove and discard the seal.
6. Remove the fuel pump module.
Release the strap.
Release the fuel pressure regulator.
Disconnect the 2 fuel lines.
Installation
1. Install the fuel pump module.
Connect the fuel lines.
Secure with the strap.
Secure the fuel pressure regulator.
2. Install the fuel pump module access flange.
Clean the component mating faces.
Install a new seal.
Connect the 3 electrical connectors.
Connect the fuel supply line.
Connect the vent line.
3. CAUTION: Make sure the seal is correctly fitted.
• NOTE: Align to the position noted on removal.
Secure the fuel pump module access flange.
Install the clamp.
Tighten the screw to 4 Nm (3 lb.ft).
4.Install the fuel tank.
For additional information, refer to: Fuel Tank (310-01B Fuel Tank
and Lines - V8 4.4L Petrol, Removal and Installation).
5. Connect the battery ground cable.
For additional information, refer to: Specifications (414-00 Battery
and Charging System - General Information, Specifications).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I should probably get a repair manual for future jobs. Although it mentions that the filter and pump are in the tank it doesn't mention much about how to access it. It looks like I might have to remove the fuel tank after all. Don't know why land rover have to make it so difficult to replace a fuel filter...

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
... Don't know why land rover have to make it so difficult to replace a fuel filter...
Just a few weeks ago while changing my trans filter/pan/oil I told my son-in-law all engineers should be required to be mechanics on the systems they design. Maybe they would be a bit more conscious of ease of repair.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
trippd89 "Don't know why land rover have to make it so difficult to replace a fuel filter..."

Thats because it is not a actual fuel filter that you service. It is just a sock/screen attached to the pump. I have not ever on any manufacturer seen one clogged... Not that i have seen it all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thats because it is not a actual fuel filter that you service. It is just a sock/screen attached to the pump. I have not ever on any manufacturer seen one clogged... Not that i have seen it all.

It actually is a replaceable filter though. I already have the replacement one. If you do a google search for a fuel filter for 2005-2009 range rover sport supercharged you'll see plenty of results. The 4.4 v8 however, doesn't have one from what I can see.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a few weeks ago while changing my trans filter/pan/oil I told my son-in-law all engineers should be required to be mechanics on the systems they design. Maybe they would be a bit more conscious of ease of repair.
I plan on doing that to mine soon and I'm not looking forward to it.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
I learned you should not turn off the engine during the trans refill process prior to replacing the filler plug. It cost me about another liter of fluid. OOPS!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I learned you should not turn off the engine during the trans refill process prior to replacing the filler plug. It cost me about another liter of fluid. OOPS!!
That would've been fun lol. Luckily I know that from my last car though.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
It actually is a replaceable filter though. I already have the replacement one. If you do a google search for a fuel filter for 2005-2009 range rover sport supercharged you'll see plenty of results. The 4.4 v8 however, doesn't have one from what I can see.
I think you should definitely replace it. It will make your car run better for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts