RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Range Rover supercharged. I bought it used and it had a half wood/half leather steering wheel. Glancing through eBay, I have seen that multiple 2006 SC models have this options. I also did a search on this forum, and it stated that you can't have the half wood steering wheel that is heated. Mine has the heated steering wheel button, and not the air recirculation button. The fuse is installed and when you press the heated steering wheel button, the light comes on for a second or two and then goes out. I have the vehicle in for service, and they told me that the wood steering wheel was not a factory option for 2006. Was it a dealer installed option?

Is my search on this forum correct? Can I only have one or the other? Heated steering wheel or half wood steering wheel? The search results stated that the wood would warp if it was heated. Sounds reasonable to me, just wanted to make sure this was correct. The only reason I question this, is because the 2010 Range Rover brochure lists "Half wood Leather steering wheel & Gearknob Pack" as an option, but it doesn't have an asterisk stating the heated steering wheel is deleted with this option. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The first listing for a 2006 range rover supercharged on eBay had these pictures. This is just like mine, heated steering wheel button and half wood/half leather steering wheel. Any inputs would be appreciated. The dealer is replacing my steering wheel under warranty. It arrived today, and they called me and let me know that it was different than the steering wheel I currently have (all leather). I have to call them back first thing in the morning and let them know if I want the half wood/half leather steering wheel with no heat, or the full leather with heat. I am hoping I can get both :)

·
Registered
952 Posts
My understanding is that there was no option for a heated wood steering wheel in 06. I do not think the new ones have heat in their wood steering wheels either.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,758 Posts
SO far only the leather sections are heated. Wood would not conduct the heat well enough for you to even notice. Think of it like a heating pad. In your seat the heating pad is under a thin layer of leather, the ehat conducts fairly well. Now stick a heating pad under a 1/2" piece of plywood and sit on it. Chances are you would never feel the heating pad through the wood. Same concept, different position.

·
Registered
952 Posts
If it's any consolation I always found wooden steering wheels to be a little old-lady-ish. Like in a jaguar or something.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
What I meant was that the leather portion is still heated in a wood wheel and that's the bit you grip so what's the problem?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
860 Posts
I would suggest that the dealer or previous owner had the steering wheel modified prior to delivery and that is why there is no heat at all. I probably what heated from the factory when they cut it and added the wood and the heater button is still present and not connected to any heat function. There are many companies that sell the custom wood modified steering wheel on a swap out basis, here is one custom company: http://www.rau-autowood.com/rover_signature.htm

·
Registered
952 Posts
marcpablo said:
I would suggest that the dealer or previous owner had the steering wheel modified prior to delivery and that is why there is no heat at all. I probably what heated from the factory when they cut it and added the wood and the heater button is still present and not connected to any heat function. There are many companies that sell the custom wood modified steering wheel on a swap out basis, here is one custom company: http://www.rau-autowood.com/rover_signature.htm
My guess as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts