RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Range Rover Sport with about 85k on the odometer.

A couple weeks ago the A/C system started behaving very strangely. Occasionally the entire system will just shut off whilst in motion. When I say shut off, literally nothing functions. There is no blower functionality whatsoever - no cold air, no hot air. The lights on the HVAC display work. Nothing shows up indicative of any kind of system error or fault. It doesn't matter if you switch from manual to auto or vice-versa. None of the associated buttons seem to do anything. The only thing that corrects the issue is shutting down the vehicle and letting it sit. It usually starts working again upon restart. This was a very sporadic, rare event at first. Now, after 2 weeks, it is occurring pretty much every day and now the vehicle has even started this behavior upon ignition. Any thoughts?

My first guess, after dealing with some of the older model Rovers was the condition of the battery. I figured if the battery was weak it could be causing some kind of electrical issue that is shorting something in the circuit to cause the system to shut off. That doesn't seem to be the issue as of yet. The dealer was fairly useless as expected. I can't find much of anything in the RAVE, nor have I found any similar posts. Before, I start disconnecting things, I thought I'd see if this has happened to anyone else.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having a similar problem with my 2006 Sport SC with 75,000 miles....
It started a little differently however. At first I would get into the car and it refused to start. Turn the key and everything seems normal, but it refuses to crank. Sometimes It will work on the second try, other times i have to shut the doors lock the car, unlock the car and try again a few times. Once it left me stranded for 20 minutes....
After a few weeks of doing this every other day or so the problem started to change. I would be driving normally, and all of the sudden my doors unlock. Then my outside temp reading on the dash reads "---" Then the blower stops entirely, while the HVAC control panel appears to work normally. After a moment my radio will read "Vehicle Fault - System shutting down." Next, the NAV, HVAC Panel, and radio all power off. At this point my exterior hazards are flashing, but I have no indication on the dash or center console button, and I have no working turn signals.
Its all very strange, as if the main computer has gone into some kind of safety shut down mode. The vehicle still drives normally, until you shut the engine off. If the fault hasn't cleared itself by then it will not crank or restart. Sometimes it wont even make it through the entire sequence and everything returns to normal, other times it stays that way for 20 minutes or more.
One thing I find odd is that over the last few months, as this problem has progressed, it has never done this at night, until last night...
Coincidentally the problem you described earlier has started happening in the last day or two. I get in the car, it starts normally, but I have no blowers. The AC panel functions normally, just not blowing any air. I have discovered how to temporarily fix the problem. If you pop the battery cover off and tap on the rear of the fuse box cover it will sometimes come on, other times I remove the fuse box cover and jiggle some relays, it seems to have something to do with the 4 small ones at the rear closest to the windshield. However, if you remove them all it doesn't seem to disable the HVAC system or blowers, but wiggling them brings the system back to life. I have dismounted the fuse box and visually examined it. I do not see any signs of bad connections, excessive heat, burned out relays, wires chafing, etc.... It doubt it's a cheap part, so I'm reluctant to go replacing it. But as the days go by I'm growing more and more suspicious.
One other pertinent thing. My alternator light started coming on about 6 months ago, however at a hot idle I measure 13.45 volts at the battery. That may be a bit low, but it is still charging okay. I've also replaced the battery in the last week thinking a weakening battery might have something to do with it, but there has been no change.

The dealer was COMPLETELY incompetent while I was under warranty, often breaking more than they fixed, so the last thing I'm going to do is take it to them. :twisted:
I fear problems like this are going to become more and more common as these vehicles start racking up the miles. Maybe we should start a sub forum or something to start documenting the problems the higher mile cars are having?

I'd really appreciate any input anyone has on this. I run a small mechanic shop, and older Range rovers are a specialty of mine, but this one has got my scratching my head....

Thanks,
Irving
Austin, TX

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Irving, I think you are right in suspecting the battery junction box next to the battery - by the symptoms you are experiencing that's got to be it. See if this TSB helps you in examining the terminals for poor connections or corrosion, and keep us posted:

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I gave it a shot and followed that TSB....
.3 hours my ass! They also fail to mention that there is basically NO slack on the wiring harness so flipping it over is very difficult to release clips. Never the less I could not find any obvious problems with any of the contacts in the junction box.
I buttoned it all back up and the problem took nearly 24 hours to come back! It didn't go all the way through the shut down mode, only door locks and hazards flashing for just a moment, then everything returned to normal. My blowers appear to be working correctly at this time.
Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Irving

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, here we are, a week later.... Back to the same symptoms only less often. Today my blowers weren't working so I had to get out and start wiggling relays and fuses. It seems that wiggling the fuses closest to the fire wall solved the blower issue. Also, this happened on first start up this morning, all was fine when parked last night.
however, a new problem has surfaced! My remote no longer works, none of the buttons will do anything. This started yesterday before the blower motor issue. I haven't had a chance to try my second key, but I am leaning towards a problem on the wiping in the car. Any ideas where to start on this problem? Maybe i can kill two birds with one stone.....
Wishful thinking I know, but one can always have hope....

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
521 Posts
irvingseligman said:
Well, here we are, a week later.... Back to the same symptoms only less often. Today my blowers weren't working so I had to get out and start wiggling relays and fuses. It seems that wiggling the fuses closest to the fire wall solved the blower issue. Also, this happened on first start up this morning, all was fine when parked last night.
however, a new problem has surfaced! My remote no longer works, none of the buttons will do anything. This started yesterday before the blower motor issue. I haven't had a chance to try my second key, but I am leaning towards a problem on the wiping in the car. Any ideas where to start on this problem? Maybe i can kill two birds with one stone.....
Wishful thinking I know, but one can always have hope....

Thanks guys!
Wow, have you done anything to the car recently? Even something as simple as replacing a tail light bulb made my dash light up like a christmas tree.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts