RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this 2006 Supercharged model for 2 years now. About 6 months after I got it, I replaced the pan/filter and fluid with Mercon SP fluid, and reset the adaptions w/ about 80k miles on it. It shifted like garbage for a while, took it on a 500 mile trip and the adaption reset worked itself out. Through that process I learned that after changing the fluid, it is not recommended to reset the adaptions.

Roughly 1.5 years later the cold weather hits and it starts acting up on initial start up (cold). Depending on how cold it is outside:
  • It is slow to engage drive, that is, put transmission in drive, let off brake and nothing, normally it would be jumping forward and ready to go. Press the throttle pedal and slowly it starts to move the more you press the throttle pedal. Hard 1-2 shift, medium 2-3 shift and even less harder 3-4 shift. Once warm, no problems.
  • It is slow to engage reverse and throws gear ratio fault. Similar behavior as drive with throttle pedal engagement. Gear ratio fault is really common in reverse, regardless of temperature.
Searching the forums, I think I remember one lost reference to a cold start reverse issue on a BMW form that says solenoids fix it. Not to mention I think solenoids and cold weather issues go together on any automatic transmission?

My transmission part number is 1068 020 070 - according to http://www.thectsc.com/products/solenoid-kit-6hp19/26/32-m-shift-36-115.html, I need the 1068 298 044 01 solenoid kit.

I am gearing up to start ordering parts in an attempt to fix this. I am thinking:
  • 1068 298 044 01 solenoid kit
  • Mechatronic Seal Adapter
  • 4 seal tubes
  • Sealing sleeve - external wiring harness
  • filter/pan
As I read more about these transmissions I see things like the Sonnax zip kits and become curious if I should also look into this. Any thoughts on my symptoms and recommendations if I should look into rebuilding the whole valve body? i.e. zip kit and separator plate.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Low Fluid level? Sounds like every Audi ZF automatic Transmission I have run across when they get more than a quart low on fluid. My RR has not been low yet so maybe they are different.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the thoughts. I do have an active leak on the input shaft? seal. So I have assumed the fluid to be low before and checked, it was fine. But I have not checked it in 6+ months.

I suppose I should check it before ordering any parts.

I did not see a way to edit my original post, but I wanted to mention that I am at 120k miles now.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in the US, so all my units will be US based, US quart and Fahrenheit.

I did the fluid check procedure today, ambient temperature was 61*F.

I started by loosening the drain plug.
Started the vehicle and ran the trans selector through the positions.
Trans Fluid Temperature check with IID Tool was 77*F. After backing the drain plug out, fluid was flowing heavy.
Checked fluid temp with independent IR temp tool, IID and other tool matched well. Continue using IID Tool temp reading.
Ran transmission selector through the positions again.
Backing out drain plug at 89*F and 96*F fluid flow was lesser so than at 77*F, but steady.
Trans temp reached 100* and I left the fluid flow until I had a lesser steady stream at 104*F (40*C). It was by no means a trickle.

All in all, I drained about 1/3 US quart (~300mL).

Have not driven it yet.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea the drain plug would have been bad.

Drove it north about 300 miles yesterday, drove fine but it was warm.

Ambient temperature was 31*F. Reverse took 1-2 seconds to engage (quicker than before in cold weather). No fault. 1-2 and 2-3 shifts were rough.

Still leaning towards solenoids? And refreshing some internal seals.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just finished installing all the aforementioned parts. It took about 7.5 us quarts to refill and taking it for a drive there is some hard shifting. I am assuming this is due to the mechatronic needing to relearn the new solenoids?

i saw in the bmw forums they are resetting adaptions after this work is complete. I am a little apprehensive as last time I did that it drove like crap for about 400 miles.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Driving around some more my impression is that it is harsh shifting only on low pedal input/low demand. Most if not all downshifts are harsher than 'normal' and accelerating lightly results in regularly harsh up shifts.

Still debating whether or not to reset the adaptations.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This morning, after some more reading, the same posts/information, I decided to do it. Transmission Adaptations Reset. Results after a couple miles, shifts like a hot knife through butter.

To recap.

Bought the vehicle at 85k miles.
Replaced the 6HP26 pan/filter and 7.5qts of fluid at 90k miles.
Reset the Transmission Adaptations.
Shifted like garbage for 500 miles - eventually settling in.
Read about how you should never reset the adaptations.
At 120k start having pretty significant issues with Reverse and transmission faults, especially in the cold weather.
At 125k replaced the mechatronic solenoids, wiring seal, bridge seal, 4x tube seals, filter/pan and 7.5qts of fluid.
Drove clunky for 4 days.
Reset the Transmission Adaptations.
Success!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts