RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within 1-2 minutes of starting and driving the suv, while moving, I get a fault light and a dash warning that says "suspension fault, normal height only". If I put the car in park and try to raise or lower the suspension, it will not move and continues to display the fault. However, if I restart the car I can raise and lower at will.

This has been happening for a week. Anyone have any idea what could trigger this and what I should do?

[attachment=0:24utrdko]IMG00002-20100406-0904.jpg[/attachment:24utrdko]

Thanks,
Philip

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me a few months back. Had it taken to the dealer and they kept the car for 2 days while they replaced an airbag supposedly. On the bright side, while there they lost a few clips for my engine cover (which werent replaced), tried to replace my K&N filter with a normal one (had to take a trip back and fight with them until they "found it" and replaced my battery.. GL :twisted:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So yours was a bad "airbag"? I assume you are talking about one of the four that raises/lowers the vehicle.
I was hoping maybe there is a switch or a relay that you guys are familiar with and I could just replace
it on my own. Anyone else had this issue?
Thanks, Decojones

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Take her to the dealer (or an IDS equipped independent shop), it could be a number of things but it's most likely not just a matter of replacing a bad relay... They need to hook her up to diagnostics to read the fault code. It could be a bad height sensor, a leaky or sticky valve, a weak compressor, etc.

PS: Hurry up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2006 RRS SC that had the same exact issue. Ended up having to replace the compressor. I had an extended warranty so it only cost the deductable rather than the $950 the dealership would have charged without the warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So we have:
One bad airbag, one bad compressor, one probable relay and the recommendation of just taking it to the shop.

When you had to have the compressor replaced, could you still raise/lower the vehicle before
they replaced it?

Thanks

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,468 Posts
Not if you're already on the bump stops...then the compressor has failed completely.

How old is your battery? That could also throw the code...

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
philip in al said:
So we have:
One bad airbag, one bad compressor, one probable relay and the recommendation of just taking it to the shop.

When you had to have the compressor replaced, could you still raise/lower the vehicle before
they replaced it?

Thanks
I'll add my $0.02 USD/CAD (we're at parity now).

Since it seems to work OK sometimes, a sticky/malfunctioning solenoid. The compressor would fail completely, not sometimes.

And a second "take it to the shop and have a diagnosis made" so you are not replacing good parts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just went through the same problem with my 06. It was happening rendomly at first and then it became a steady thing that every time I would turn the truck on the suspension fault would occur. The dealer ended up finding more than one problem with the suspension. The first was that a ride height sensor had failed. The second thing was that my air dryer had failed. With that thing being out it caused a bunch of other things to fail. It's been nice now that it's running right though. Good luck in getting it fixed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
philip in al said:
So we have:

they replaced it?

Thanks
Unitl the compressor was replaced could not raise or lower the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
I had the same warning that came on intermittently. They replaced the high pressure hose and the compressor. I was able to raise and lower the the vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think mine is the compressor. When I start or restart the car, I can raise or lower (unitl the car is driven).

·
Registered
27 Posts
philip in al said:
I don't think mine is the compressor. When I start or restart the car, I can raise or lower (unitl the car is driven).
I was also able to lower/raise the car as soon as I turned the engine on but, as soon as I drove 5 feet the suspension warning turned on and left my car in the up/down position the entire time until I turned off the ignition and turned it back on to put it back in normal mode.

PS. Dont do what I did and lower the car and drive on for a few miles.. The ride feels like **** normally but gets worse as your speed increases.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,468 Posts
Check the battery!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
PJPR01 said:
Check the battery!!
And how, pray tell, could one check the battery other than bringing it to a battery place and getting it tested?

Just had it pop up on my car as well. Looks like I'll be getting a new battery.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,468 Posts
Right on target Dave...if you don't have a battery tester at home, you can drop by Sears and they'll hook it up, or if you are still under warranty, then the dealer will replace the battery for free.

:)

Personally, I like the Odyssey batteries, installed one on my RRS back in 2007 with a very slight modification, and it's still working perfectly under load and I was quite happy to have that extra cranking power during my trips thru extreme cold temps. There's also an equivalent DieHard Platinum which is the same as the Odyssey but branded for Sears for about $100 bucks cheaper. Both are AGM technology which is much better than the stock...and no worries about spills or venting either.

Plus I hear that for every Odyssey or Diehard you buy, you get a free wooden shift knob in Zebrano wood!!! `)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yay for warranty! And I want that wood! Oh wait...

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I'm tellin' ya something's fishy that there's no PM replacement of that air drier after a certain period of time, or 75K, or something...that valve getting buggered up, and the drier getting replaced smells like the Pike Place fish mkt to me. :?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts