RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I get my brake "kit" from AB. I've had good dealings with them, so this is not a rant. All is fine and fits perfect UNTIL I get to the brake pad wear sensor. I route the cable without issue, but when I disconnect the "car end" of the old cable and attempt to connect the new cable, it's clear that there's a male/female fitting mismatch (no jokes here, please). The new cable does NOT fit into the vehicle's wiring harness. The shroud around the outside connector will not accommodate the vehicle harness. It's only slightly off, but no clue what's going on. It's the weekend and AB is closed, so I'm walking at the moment. I could probably cobble it back together and just leave the sensor off...but I feel that will likely buy me more trouble than it's worth??? And I don't want to set off a bunch of codes that my friendly LR dealer will likely charge $200 to clear. The part numbers on the package seem correct...and the overall length of the cable seems correct as well. It's just a mismatch in the connecter itself. Is there a workaround until I can get AB on the horn and figure out what the )#$)! is going on?

Thanks for any input! Bill

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Are you doing all four corners? Do you have the front and rear sensors swapped? If you are doing only one axle AB may have sent the wrong sensor.

Now I am going to assume the low pad warning light came on. If it did not come on you can reuse your old sensor. Many people reuse their sensors because they inspect pads frequently and the sensor is not compromised.

If the light illuminated, you can fool the system until AB can send out the correct sensor. You can cut the actual "sensor" off the end of your old sensor and join the two wires. Plug it back into the body harness. The sensor is nothing more than a wire loop. When the loop is broken the light comes on. Joining the wires will tell the system that the sensor is whole.

EDIT: What is the part number on the sensor package you received and which end are you working on?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,459 Posts
There are sensors only at two corners on the RRS....double check you’ve got the right corner specified...I believe it is left front and right rear...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just did my fronts today, if you look inside the plastic tube the end piece is "skull shaped" with the corresponding male skull on the other end. The rear has a different part number as well. mine was a Britpart, I can check the number if you want?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can plug it back in and "loop" the two wires at the brake pad end for now (the light did not come on). The part # on the package was SOE000025 which appears to be the correct #. I noticed on the old sensor that the plug on the harness from the chassis had "TYCO" listed on end fitting. The plug on the harness to/from the brake pad sensor was a Bosch unit. The new part appears to be European, but not marked (although the package was). I could probably modify the end fitting on the new part bu going inside the plastic "hood" and shave off one of the plastic guides and it would fit. I AM doing all four corners, but have not swapped the harnesses. The front harness seems to have a heavier area (stress reliever?) around the portion near the wheel, which I suspect is due to that wheel articulating as we steer, whereas the rear is fairly stationary aside from up/down suspension movement. If one looks into the fitting on. the existing sensor harness, the two guides are slightly above and below (but still to the side) of the two metal prongs w which engage the chassis harness fitting. On the new replacement, there are still two guides (molded into the plastic), but one is slightly below the two prongs and the other directly inline (side to side) with the prongs. The female receptacle (chassis) (TYCO) has a single raised alignment guide, but it is directly inline side to side with the two holes into which the sensor prongs fit. As soon as I start to insert one into the other, the guide on the male (brake sensor) end hits the guide on the female (chassis) end and motion stops. I really do NOT want to replace anything on the chassis end...if it ain't broke....etc. The old sensor broke at the pad when I was removing it or I would re-use it. Hope this clears things up? Oh...and when I look online at the SOE00025, the end fitting pictures online match what was in my package. Pretty much a mystery to me!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are pictures of the existing ends of my chassis and old sensor cable ends:
fullsizeoutput_28ed.jpg fullsizeoutput_28ec.jpg

Is it possible that an earlier mod was made to the chassis end to accommodate a non-LR sensor cable? The brake pad ends look to be identical.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
As cheap as sensors are I doubt anyone would mod the harness to save $2. So the 25 sensor is for the rear and an SEM500062 sensor is for the front. I would make sure your front sensor plugs in prior to calling AB. Of course if the front sensor has not worn through you can reuse it. At a stretch the only thing I can think of is that an incorrect sensor was put in the box at the supplier or an incorrect harness end was put on at the manufacturer. Things more odd that those have happened.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay...I learned early in life (60 years ago) it was easier to admit being an idiot than trying to hide my incompetence. AS IT TURNS OUT...there are TWO connectors back there hanging about in the vicinity of the right rear air suspension. I swear I followed the existing cable twice, but back where it disappeared, it apparently crossed. In any case, I had the right part....I was just using the wrong brain. Once I reviewed it in the light of a new day and new cup of coffee, I discovered my mistake. The right part WAS in hand, I just needed to crawl around under there and located the CORRECT connector. All fixed now. Off to the front...and I have to discover how to remove the front discs. Pads are easy...but is it really those humongous 12-point bolts (2) that have to come off to take the cage around the caliper so you can remove the disc(s)??? Thanks. Bill

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
LMAO... yea I done similar things on occasion. I do have to wonder though what the other connector is for then. :think:

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Yes, you need to take off the 12pt bolts to remove the caliper hanger as well as a short fat screw that holds the disc to the hub. It is most likely sized in there unless the discs have been replaced before. You may need to hit the disc with a mallet to free it from the hub.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts