RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone the starter went out on my '06 RR. It has the 4.4 and I got a new starter and installed it and as I was putting the ground wire on it broke off and I don't have the tools or time to trace it and don't have any manuals. If someone could help me out and tell me if there is a relay within that wire somewhere or what.... I tried grounding it straight to the gram as the dealer here said that would work and when I turn it over I don't get anything. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
248 Posts
Can you perhaps post a photo of what it looks like and where it broke off?

Note that if it just broke off it was probably faulty before and may have been the cause of your starting problems rather than a faulty starter motor.

I don't know specifically about the V8 but the ground wire usually either goes directly to the battery negative terminal or to a bolt on the chassis in the immediate vicinity of the starter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the black wire that broke. I was able to throw a connector onto it and got it all hooked up now when I attempt to start I hear the starter motor engage but nothing. I get a fault message that states limited gears available and now have a small leak from the transmission.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
248 Posts
I'm not sure what I'm seeing in the photo, is that the situation as it is now or have you bolted the connector back in place?

The copper and chrome coloured studs just behind the connector are where I believe it should be bolted in, have you done that or is it still as in the photo?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are the terminals leading to the starter. I pulled the bell housing off the old one to get to the top bolt. They're not in the black plastic retaining piece anymore but the smaller wire is the one that broke off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Sorry this is 6 years on! ;-). Was yours a fullsize 4.4l Jaguar engine? If so, did you have to remove the exhaust manifold to get at the top bolt of the starter? Seems like I have no way of getting at the top bolt due to the exhaust manifold and I have no idea of how to get it off.

Many thanks!

Paul

Hey everyone the starter went out on my '06 RR. It has the 4.4 and I got a new starter and installed it and as I was putting the ground wire on it broke off and I don't have the tools or time to trace it and don't have any manuals. If someone could help me out and tell me if there is a relay within that wire somewhere or what.... I tried grounding it straight to the gram as the dealer here said that would work and when I turn it over I don't get anything. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
611 Posts
Hi,

Sorry this is 6 years on! ;-). Was yours a fullsize 4.4l Jaguar engine? If so, did you have to remove the exhaust manifold to get at the top bolt of the starter? Seems like I have no way of getting at the top bolt due to the exhaust manifold and I have no idea of how to get it off.

Many thanks!

Paul
Was million years ago but i removed passenger side tire and this gave me a space.
Starter solenoid was bad.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You need just the right size of socket extension to get in over the top of the starter to reach that top bolt and preferably one with a wobble head (one that allows the socket to wiggle around). I used one of those USB pencil cameras to see the bolt head while I slid the socket along the top of the starter. Otherwise I couldn't get the socket on the bolt straight it was a major pain but preferable to pulling an exhaust manifold and exhaust pipes.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Yes, mine is an 06 4.4L. You don't have to remove the manifold, its just a pain in the butt to get the socket on the bolt without some kind of flex coupling on the socket and or wrench end of the extension.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, mine is an 06 4.4L. You don't have to remove the manifold, its just a pain in the butt to get the socket on the bolt without some kind of flex coupling on the socket and or wrench end of the extension.
Thanks - that's great to know. Appreciate the response!!! I'll keep at it.

Best

Paul

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
That heat sheild between the starter and the manifold has to come off, but its only held on by 2 small bolts. It was pretty easy to get off. I couldn't tell what I was looking in your image above at on my phone, but now I see the sheild is still there, it has to come out as it is laying right on top of that upper bolt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts