Range Rovers Forum banner

2006 RR Sport S/C giving suspension issues

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  My dream rig 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Product Machine Technology Machine tool

Good day to all. Does anyone know what this means?

- I am almost at the end of my patients with this suspension. I have spent funds on the pump, the front leveling valve, the reservoir leveling valve and the rear leveling valve. Now the Rover still leaks air... leans to the right in the morning and is completely down in 2 days... just friggin bs. Now on the 4X4 Screen shows the rear wheel lower than the rest with a red blinking light, yet the rear wheels are (measured height from the center wheel cap to the bottom of the fender) at 500mm and the front wheels are at 460mm. To top it off, the pump is weaker now and takes longer to lift the Rover (You hear a ping warning with the 'Rising' on the 4X4 screen).

ctt
Kingdom of Bahrain
2006 Java Blk RR Spt S/C
92K miles

See less See more
#2 ·
So your rig has a leak that has been ignored. Of course this is going to wear out your pump keeping up with the leak. Find it, fix it and then rebuild the pump that is the side effect of not fixing the root issue... a simple leak. Don't castrate the rig just because your various shops have been incompetent and tossing parts at it instead of doing proper diagnostics.

#3 ·
I understand what you are saying RRT, it's just my limited knowledge (and probably theirs as well) is a huge handicap. I believe what I'm being told and the two different occasions I drove home after the valves replacement, I wake up to a lean... How or why these indie's cannot find the leak.
- and now the rear/right wheel (screen shot) has me thinking it could be more than the Rear/right height sensor...

#4 ·
How hard is it to spray soapy water on valves, lines and bags? Get under the rig and get dirty. Leak finding is not a pleasant job but it is necessary if you don;t want to continue to throw parts at it. Best of all soapy water is as close to FREE as you are going to get for diagnostics.

#5 ·
Have you looked at the right rear height sensor? Looking at the screen that tire would have to be in a pit to register like that. A bad sensor would cause the EAS to let air out of that corner to compensate for what it thinks is reality.

#6 ·
I took the Rover to another Indie shop and he used some sort of diagnostic wifi system on the rig while I was standing there trying to learn something. He showed me a screen on his tool with a code *C1A06-92 (?) intermittent - Rear right height sensor*.And the display inside the Rover stated "Special programs off" and all the lights on the ride height selector (like your profile pic) were off. Could this be the one of the problems or could this course the Rover to drop like that. I still think there is a leak in the system. On the weekend I will get below with my bottle of soapy water and see.

#7 ·
This all seems to indicate a bad sensor. The system thinks the tire is hanging low so the EAS lets air out of that corner to compensate. The result is that corner lowers. A bad sensor will also cause an EAS system fault that will shut down special programs. Replace the sensor.

#8 ·
Before you go ahead and replace that sensor - and that would be my guess regarding the problem as well - make sure you check the wires/harness connectors at that sensor first. It's possible you're getting intermittent connection there due to something being loose, corroded or damaged.

#9 ·
I believe it is intermittent... I found the R/R height sensor and tried to remove the connector but because I could not get a proper grip on it, I decided to push it down to make sure it was seated properly. Then later as I drove around for about 5 miles testing it, all 4 wheels were in proper position in standard mode. When I went for gas about 2 hours later the issue came back. After I started the Rover to come home from the gas station, not problem at all... crazy! So I know at least one problem is with the wires or connector itself.... here is the thing (there is always a thing), is it on the harness wire/connector side or the height sensor side?

#10 ·
UPDATE: Two days ago I took my rig to an indie shop here on the island. After using their diagnostic tools.. The Rear Right Height Sensor was bad and the Dynamic Response System was inoperable, leaking badly. They replaced the Rear Right height Sensor and calibrated the system. While doing so, they found that the Front Right Height sensor was mounted on a 'bent' bracket, they fixed that in two mins.
* We also bypassed and re-programmed the DRS (too costly to repair right now). Things seem fine for now..

#12 · (Edited)
I'm sorry partner. I sat in the waiting room while they did the bypass and re-program. I went into the back of the shop to see them change the height sensor but I was getting the "You don't belong back here look" from a few mechs, so I went back inside. They did tell me its a tool (looks like a laptop) that was ordered from the UK.. They had to let the on-board computer think the DRS was full of fluid and or still connected to the suspension system.
- The thing is, the guy at the front desk who explained it was not the mech who performed the work. I can ask on Sunday (its a working day here) when I take the rig back to find a small air leak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.