RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my RR to a local RR repair shop. North Texas British, it's all they work on. My first time using them, but they have good reviews. The coolant leak turned out to be the head gaskets. The repair guy has not quoted a price yet as he said it's a and I quote "MF" er. Not sure what the equates to in dollars but it doesn't sound good. Anyway I have found allot about the 05 BMW motor but nothing on the 06 jag. It probably happened when it got hot because the bleed valve on the top of the motor blew out. I have a few questions. I live in Dallas and have a few questions.

- What would be a fair and reasonable estimate?
- Some sites say that if a head gasket goes out on a range rover once replaced they will keep failing. Is that true for this model and engine?
- Why is the head gasket replacement so hard for this particular vehicle. I have done them on a ford truck and that was easy. Don't roast me I just have no idea if it's possible to DIY, or if it really is a difficult thing for this vehicle.
- Any other suggestions?

Usual suspects on diagnosis, bubbles in the resevoir, leaking from under then tranny. Only leaks when get's hot, white smoke. They did a pressure test leak down, etc... said they are positive this is what it is. Any help would be appreciated.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
You could get an estimate on the # of hours required by talking to the SA at the local LR dealer...and compare that # of hours x Hourly labor rate to your Indy shop to see if it's in the ballpark from a time perspective.

Wonder if you have some head warping, possible...but depends on how far you drove it when the T-valve blew?

I'd have to guess it's at least 10-12 hours...but just hazarding a guess...so approx. $1K to $1.5K job?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get this, they replied with 40-50 estimate about 5K for the replacement. I told him I already talked to my local shop that said they were somewhere around 3,500 and I thought that was a bit high. He said come and get it then.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Would be good for Roverguy to give us his estimate of the # of hours...that would be an independent assessment to compare to validate the figures above.

·
Registered
73 Posts
When the gasket leak on my Mercedes. I learn from Google and took the head to be machined. It took longer and made some mistake along the way. At the end, the job was done by a first timer.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Dual overhead cams, timing chains, probably variable cam timing, supercharger and lots of stuff on top--- Just a guess but I think it is a lot tougher than a Ford truck of older days.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
I most likely wouldn't do the job, and would recommend a replacement engine.

I've seen too many of these that have overheated to the point of failure with warped blocks, damaged sensors/components/wiring, damaged piston rings, and if any coolant has been getting into the crankcase, bearing failures.

One thing to keep in mind is that just by having it repaired/replaced, you may not be out of the water, as coolant getting into the exhaust has most likely caused some damage to the cats.

This is also not a common issue, and the only time that I've seen failure is after it has been severely overheated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you this is really good feedback! Is there any particular place you recommend replacement engines from?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I am going to head down the replacement engine route. It appears that this may be my best option at this point. Seems like head gaskets and head repair may cost more and may have less of a guarantee towards an actual fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my RR to a local RR repair shop. North Texas British, it's all they work on. My first time using them, but they have good reviews. The coolant leak turned out to be the head gaskets. The repair guy has not quoted a price yet as he said it's a and I quote "MF" er. Not sure what the equates to in dollars but it doesn't sound good. Anyway I have found allot about the 05 BMW motor but nothing on the 06 jag. It probably happened when it got hot because the bleed valve on the top of the motor blew out. I have a few questions. I live in Dallas and have a few questions.

• What would be a fair and reasonable estimate?
  • Some sites say that if a head gasket goes out on a range rover once replaced they will keep failing. Is that true for this model and engine?
  • Why is the head gasket replacement so hard for this particular vehicle. I have done them on a ford truck and that was easy. Don't roast me I just have no idea if it's possible to DIY, or if it really is a difficult thing for this vehicle.
  • Any other suggestions?
Usual suspects on diagnosis, bubbles in the resevoir, leaking from under then tranny. Only leaks when get's hot, white smoke. They did a pressure test leak down, etc... said they are positive this is what it is. Any help would be appreciated.

I was just given a quote of....wait for it... ten $&#%@$ing thousand #;[email protected][$^%ing dollars! Yes, ten & thousand with a t! That's on my 2010 Autobiography Rover for the head gasket job. Did you have any luck with your replacement? Was it DIY or did you have a shop do it in the end? Any info appreciated!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Have you considered a stop leak head gasket sealer. Pretty sure my daughter's 2002 X5 had a head gasket leak so eventually I poured in a fairly pricey (about 20 bucks) large can that guarantees it will stop most head gasket leaks. Well, it worked but the downside is now her heater does not work.
May be a good idea to disconnect the heater hoses and flush the system before re-connecting them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
arby
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing