RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The check engine light came on this morning and after stopping at Autozone to have the codes pulled, I am slightly puzzled as to the actual problem.

-P0480 explanation:
The engine cooling fan relay circuit is monitored for opens and shorts.

Probable cause:
Cooling fan relay defective.
Check connector and wiring.

It appears the fan is working normally with no anomalies I can see....no overheating issues.

-P0128 explanation:
The powertrain control module verifies that the engine is at a proper operating temperature.

Probable cause:
Check coolant level
Thermostat defective
ECT sensor defective

Coolant level is normal and again, no overheating problems noted. One thing I have noticed in the last month or so is that engine temperature gauge takes slightly longer to move into the normal range but the needle always stays in the middle of the gauges normal operating range (never hot). If it is a thermostat issue, why did it take a month for the CEL to come on?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Banned
901 Posts
p0128 = replace thermostat with oem, use LR Coolant, see what happens it might clear the other code. I'd use the search function to look up these codes on here, there's definately some knowledge here.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your response Cliff!

Yeah, based on what I saw in the other threads, it sounds like the thermostat needs to be replaced...apparently if the coolant doesn't come up to a certain temp in a predetermined time it will trigger a CEL...explains the slow needle movement on the temp gauge.

I can't find anything about code P0480 in the threads other than the OBD definition.

Thanks again

·
Banned
901 Posts
no problem. Like I said but will elaborate a bit P0480 I think will clear if you do everything right (like don't recapture old coolant and use the right coolant). I think that popped up on mine too before the thermostat change (which is under the air intake box).

for my I forgot but will speculate wildly portion of this reply I think the p0480 code is like the temperature is outside of what it thinks it should be. Its like another temperature sensor fault.

Did you download the L322 07-09 workshop manual yet -- theres a bit of info in there too in terms of the codes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts