RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I’m in need of some guidance! Planning to take my RR to the dealership soon (dreading the cost) and hope to gain some insight prior to avoid over spending.

I was stopped at a red light and as the light turned green I went to accelerate. After starting to accelerate to make a left turn I feel a hard bump as if someone hit the back bumper of my Rover. I looked in the mirror and no one was there. I then tried to accelerate and things seemed to stall. The RPM gauge was moving but I wasn’t. I then put things in Park and the truck keep rolling so I had to put on the E brake. Everything starts up perfectly normal but just will not engage in P,R,N or D. Is my transmission out? Could it be the clutch? How much could I potentially pay?😖

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,268 Posts
If the park lock won’t hold the vehicle then the problem is downstream of the transmission e.g.

1. transmission output shaft spline has failed
  2. transfer box has failed in some way, or gone into neutral somehow
  3. one of the propshafts has failed
  4. one of the driveshafts has failed or its drive spline has become disengaged
I would start with #4 if I were you (cheapest) and get someone to check underneath to see if any of the four driveshafts has popped out.

Propshaft and transfer box problems are fairly unusual on 6-speed models.

Failure of the output spline through fretting corrosion (because Land Rover failed to lubricate the shaft with grease on assembly) is not unusual, but it would be the most expensive to fix as the transmission and transfer box have to come out and the transmission has to be rebuilt.

Another issue that appears commonly on the 6HP26 is the clamp bolt for the selector cable seizes in the hole in the selector lever, which prevents it articulating as it sweeps through its arc. This can cause the transmission to suddenly select neutral when accelerating hard or round corners. This has a nice easy fix (i.e. a squirt of penetrating fluid) but I wouldn’t have thought it could prevent Park from engaging. Worth checking as well though, while someone is underneath.

Phil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback! I’ll be taking it in tomorrow to have things looked over. This certainly gives me a good perspective on things!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi! I took my RR to the dealership and they determined it was the transfer case that’s in need of being replaced. Due to the $5K price tag they offered me I searched for the part only and found one for $500 and figured I’d do it myself. So far I’ve located the case and have drained the fluids. I did notice a very high amount of fine metallic particles in the fluid and hope that means things aren’t flowing properly meaning I’ve pinpointed the main source. My question would be does anyone have a layout of what bolts/fasteners all need to be removed to remove the part. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Here you Go;

Transfer Case Removal Instructions_Page_1.jpg Transfer Case Removal Instructions_Page_2.jpg Transfer Case Removal Instructions_Page_3.jpg
Theres no real good picture of the 8 bolts you need to remove between the transmission and the transfer case in the workshop manual, this is the best I have. They are really tough to get to and thats why LR has that special crows foot wrench for getting them out (and back in)

Part 308 Transfer Case bolts.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts