RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver side oil seal leaks and I have to top up the diff more than I would like. Wonder if anyone can answer some questions I have. My breather line is clear and the pinion and passenger side seals look ok. No apparent play on the driveshaft or axle shafts.

1: Did the weird inside coating causing contamination/seal breakdown impact all 06 Rovers? If so should I just plan on replacing all the seals?
2: RTFM says I need to remove the half shaft from the hub and the diff to do the seal. Is there enough clearance to do the seal without undoing the halfshaft from the hub? I do not have a torque wrench that goes to 311 foot
pounds which I would need to re-assemble. Maybe disconnect the hub carrier entirely and pull it out?
3: How hard is the pinion seal to do? According to manual it says only replace once? Is that due to the risk on changing pre-load? I can't figure that one out.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
You absolutely have to remove the halfshaft nut...
Just going to say good luck torquing

I only have instructions for rear pinion seal. Book time 1 hour, on which I call BS considering it'll take an hour to take out the exhaust.
It also says book time 1 hour for front pinion seal, but no instructions with it outside of removing the entire assembly.
I think they want you to take out the entire diff to replace the front pinion seal, which is an 8 hour job, and replacing the seal is a 1 hour job.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I figured someone had dealt with it. I just had to replace axle shafts on my son's Outback and that made me wonder if the RR had similar clearance. My inclination is to leave the pinion seal alone and tackle the DS half shaft seal initially. Maybe when I do brakes. There is a cheapish 100-600lb torque wrench on Amazon. It is funny I was looking at the pinion seal and thinking it is the kind of job that would be a lot easier with the diff off. https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-M204-100-600-Capabilities/dp/B00PX16Z4Q/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=100+to+600+pound+torque+wrench&qid=1574260160&sr=8-1

1 - 3 of 3 Posts