RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I seem to have an interesting issue with my wipers. They seem to be resting in a higher than normal position (not all the way up). I recently started lifting the wiper blades at night to prevent freezing, but other than that, everything has been fine.

Here's a video describing exactly what I'm dealing with (newer model), except I didn't set it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDF5n1xqzOA

Any ideas? The full range of motion is there, they just park higher than normal every time. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,932 Posts
find the bolt that holds the arm to the wiper motor,
loosen the nut, I will bet its not very tight.

then position the blades where they should park,
take the arm off the shaft and use a small wire brush to clean the small grooves,
then fit the arm,
then tighten the nut

·
Registered
359 Posts
^^ Is the nut under the "cover" where the arm attached to the stalk/motor? Just pop the cover up?

Do you need to take the arm off or can you just loosen the nut and move the arm down slightly so they are parked on the heating elements and then tighten the nut?

·
Registered
248 Posts
There is no cover, you're probably referring to the wrong nut.

If I understand correctly the wipers are travelling the full range, meaning that while operating they do go all the way down to where they should be when parked, it is just they they don't stop there when parked. If so then you should adjust the arm shown in the picture, not the individual wiper arms. Otherwise your wipers will 'crash' beyond the lower position when operating.
2016-01-25 17.48.35.jpg

·
Registered
359 Posts
^^ thank you for that. The wipers go down to the bottom of the transparent glass of the windshield it seems when they are on. When they are off they seem to go down to the same spot though...there doesn't seem to be a lower "park position". When the wipers are off, the end 1/3 or so of the blade sit above the bottom edge of the transparant glass. It's my understanding they should be parking lower (so you can't see the blade) and it sits in the heating element area.

_____________________/-------------------

I tried to draw above what it looks like. The dotted line is the last 1/3 of the blade sticking above the bottom edge of the transparent part of the windshield.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ok, so I probably misunderstood the situation actually.

After reading your last post my understanding now is that the parking position of the wipers is actually the lowest point reached by the wipers when they are operating. So the wipers are never fully on the black part of the glass, neither when operating nor when parked. Is this correct?

If so then it is indeed the individual wiper arms that you will need to adjust.

The wipers' lowest point, and also parking position should be that the wiper blade is entirely on the blackened part of the glass and parrallel to the rubber along the bottom edge of the windscreen, about an inch or so above it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That is correct. They don't come down into the black part when operating or off. I'd say they are coming short of the black portion by about a 1/4-1/2"...so ice forms on them and makes it a PITA to use them in the winter. If they park in the black are the heated windshield will prevent freeze up correct?

So how do I lower the parked position (about 1/4-1/2" so it's in the black? You're saying I have to adjust each arm? Is this adjusted at the base of the wiper arm? I haven't looked but most cars cave a cover that flips up and shows a nut which you can loosed and adjust the arm slightly...is this the same for the RR?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
OK so if the wipers wont park in the heated section then the blades need to be moved ,

BUT if the blades wipe through the heated section when operating then then arm at the motor should be adjusted,
NOTE the RAVE has a section on how to adjust wiper blades

·
Registered
359 Posts
correct....they won't park in the heated section (black section below the clear glass) and they also don't wipe down in the heated section either. The essentially stop at the same spot (slightly above the black section) whether they are parked or wiping.

So for this it sounds like the blades need adjusted which is done on top of the cowl (hood closed) correct?
I've had issues getting Rave for my year...

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
If both are parking about the same amount high, it is most likely the nut pictured above, for motor to linkage.

The L322 wiper arms are extremely difficult to loosen at the arm, as there is a locating block below the arm, which is a press fit, and difficult to remove/reposition even when trying to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts