RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member and appreciate to know what are the parts that remain energized after switching off the engine in a 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged: The parts that remain energized for a period of time and those that remain always energized...Thank You

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
uhm... countless items remain "energized" to some degree. What is it you are actually trying to accomplish or trouble shoot?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Any energized item that could cause a fire after ignition is switched off for around 4-7 hours

I am investigating a Range Rover Fire and would like to know if there are some parts (remaining energized after switching off the engine) can cause a fire after 4-7 hours of parking the vehicle ????

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
It wouldn't matter if a circuit would remain live or not after the ignition is off. All sorts of things could cause a short/overheat condition if wiring is in poor condition, a component fails etc. For instance a failed relay can power a circuit if it sticks in the powered position. You also have circuits that should remain on but could be over loaded such as a power port/cigar lighter. Toss in a round of rodent damage or a pinched/chafed wire and all bets are off.

Obviously fire is not an issue with factory proper wiring. Once folks start bodging in after market gear, changing wiring or if the rig is in poor condition anything is possible. There really is no way to identify a single circuit that may have had an issue, may have failed and may have started a fire. You simply have not provided enough information. Wiring schematics are available through AllData should you want to review what circuits are switched and which ones are live with the ignition off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for prompt reply,
This is a very old case dated from May 2007 but still in the courts between Insurance co. and Land rover local agent.
the car was UK made, 17500 km under warranty, no problems except for radio buttons on steering wheel repaired 3 weeks before the fire together with brake pads replacement.
The car was parked in the second basement of a bldg. at 8:30 PM...the janitor checked the parking around 10:30 pm everything was okay...neighbors saw heavy smoke billowing from the rooftop around 3:00 AM
The car was completely destroyed, Arson ruled out (access to the parking through two locked gates-no signs of forced entry) also ruled out flammable liquids leaking on hot surface .
During that period and until this date there are no recalls for manufacturing defects causing fire on this model, and no other similar cars in Lebanon caught fire until this date...
In 2007 my conclusion was undetermined fire (One of the possibilities is a rodent chewing electrical cables)
Is there any possibility that this fire was caused under very special circumstances by a manufacturing defect that has not been discovered until now? Or during the maintenance of the radio buttons the technician caused some wiring damage responsible of this fire? is there any possibility that declared recalls concerning: steering column, service brakes, ignition switch malfunction, power train automatic transmission...might have caused this fire in spite that Land rover co. didn't mention the possibility of a fire as an indirect consequence? and what about the delay between the parking of the car and the fire that took at least 3-4 hours!

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
You've answered your own question for all primary purposes... "undetermined fire".

To expect anyone to "mention the possibility of a fire as an indirect consequence" Is a far stretch in the extreme. I changed out tyres on a buddies rig yesterday. Should I mention the "possibility" of a blow out because I may not have see a fault in the tyre when I changed them?

An electrical fire in any make or model of car is an extremely rare occurrence and until now unheard of here in a Range Rover only a year old. For anyone here to begin making wild guesses as to what may be possible would be foolish and irresponsible. Afterall "anything is possible". There is an extreme lack of information nor would any member here be qualified to provide any factual information for your investigation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts