RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
A couple weeks ago I changed a brake light bulb, started the vehicle and the VERY INSTANT I touch the brakes, I get a HDC light, along with Transmission error. Not to mention, neither of my brake lights are working now... I did notice the wire assembly for the bulbs is corroded, and chipped in places where the bulbs are inserted. After some research I read of using aftermarket bulbs causing similar issues. And I indeed did use aftermarket bulbs . I checked the brake light fuse, or at least I'm pretty sure it was the correct fuse... And it isn't blown.*
On top of that, I open the passenger door to be greeted by an enormous puddle of standing water.....I was almost positive my issue was a clogged sunroof drain. At the time, the ride height was near sitting on the tires all the way around. The moment I raised the ride height, water began draining near front passenger door. At this point I checked the sunroof drain by pouring water on the sunroof to verify water was flowing, and it was. Is it possible when the ride height gets SO low, it is kinking the drain? Possible my leak is coming from elsewhere? If anyone can share their knowledge it would be greatly appreciated! Also I forgot, pretty sure there is a leak in the front right air bag, it slowly lowers itself over time.*
Thank you for any and all help!

P.S. just noticed tires are 235 on back, 245 on front... smh. Can this cause suspension to drop and throw hella errors?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
To start miss matched tires will definitely cause warnings. As for the water intrusion issues, we used to see corrosion in a splice at the harness under the rt floor carpet.

Hope that helps. Start with matching tires fix your leak in the suspension and go from there.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
Pull the passenger side engine vent grill then pull out the insulation and verify all the water from the sun roof is draining out that nipple. That is the most common issue. Also check to see if water is ingressing under windshield cowell into the passenger footwell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To start miss matched tires will definitely cause warnings. As for the water intrusion issues, we used to see corrosion in a splice at the harness under the rt floor carpet.

Hope that helps. Start with matching tires fix your leak in the suspension and go from there.
I put 2 tires to match the size of the rear, as the fronts were a moment away from a blowout. After I get home I realized they arent the designated size from the manufacturer. I would get 4 new tires the correct size, but Im not ready financially yet. I'm assuming the ride height sensor was calibrated for the manufacturers size tires. I'll definitely be checking for corrosion, I'm pretty sure after all that water there has affected the connections. I noticed the air leak from the front right air bag seems to be coming from the connection on the very top with the nut on it. Any suggestions on repair without having to replace the entire assembly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pull the passenger side engine vent grill then pull out the insulation and verify all the water from the sun roof is draining out that nipple. That is the most common issue. Also check to see if water is ingressing under windshield cowell into the passenger footwell.
I have, and it is properly flowing. I'll be checking into the windshield cowell next.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
There is a collet fitting on the line at the top. If that is leaking try cinching it down just a touch. Be careful not to strip the threads. Maybe also take it off and clean it and grease it with white grease. Check with local land rover guys, the replacement struts used to come with a spare, some of us keep things like that around.

Also note that it might be leaking from the piece the line screws into on the strut. Make sure and verify the location before yanking it apart. Soapy water, flashlight and a mirror.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a collet fitting on the line at the top. If that is leaking try cinching it down just a touch. Be careful not to strip the threads. Maybe also take it off and clean it and grease it with white grease. Check with local land rover guys, the replacement struts used to come with a spare, some of us keep things like that around.

Also note that it might be leaking from the piece the line screws into on the strut. Make sure and verify the location before yanking it apart. Soapy water, flashlight and a mirror.

I've noticed the windscreen cowl is warped in spots pressing against the windscreen, wasnt securely sealed. I'll be ordering it's replacement soon. Also, ordered new taillights as mine as dry rotted in the housing, allowing moisture to make its way in. Hopefully this will solve those error codes when I hit my brakes. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
42 Posts
but why would the width of the tires matter? if the tires were different "heights" I would see the computer having a problem... I think you have a corroded wiring issue, not a tire issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
but why would the width of the tires matter? if the tires were different "heights" I would see the computer having a problem... I think you have a corroded wiring issue, not a tire issue.
If they are different widths but same profile then the height would be different, its not stated above. 235/70 has a sidewall of 164.5 vs 245/70 sidewall of 171.5.

Cheers
Stot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts