Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to troubleshoot my 2006 Range Rover Sport L320. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Drove in a few days ago and was very low on gas. Fearing that I'd run out before I got to a gas station, I added some spare gas from the shed (yea, I know, not the brighest move but the fuel wasn't more than a month or two old). Tank registered about 1/16 full after I added the fuel.

Tried starting the car, it cranked but no ignition. Tried a few more times, same result.

I figured maybe I had some moisture in the gas, so I disconnected the fuel line at the fuel manifold. A small amount of gas dribbled out, but not a lot, which surprised me.

Hoping the drain some of the possibly moisture contaminated gas, I turned the key to the on position, which should activate the fuel pump, but still no gas at the fuel line.

I tried manually jumping the fuel pump at the relay. I can hear what sounds like the fuel pump running (although it's faint), but still no gas.

I tried activating that fuel pump using my Launch X431 diagnostic tool. Relay clicks, no gas comes out at the fuel line.

I measured the amperage being drawn by the fuel pump using a multimeter (using the multimeter in amperage mode instead of the jumper at the relay). I'm getting 0.5A when I first insert the probe, and then it slowly starts to taper down to 0.3A.

So the best I can tall, this looks like a bad fuel pump, since it should be pulling over 5A right?

From what I can see in the manuals, there are 3 fuel pumps on the L320 in the fuel delivery system. The one in the tank lifts the gas out of the tank, through a second pump near the front of the tank (which, according to the manual, will stop the flow of fuel if it has not power?), and then through a high pressure pump in the engine compartment?

I also noticed that the fuel tank skid plate that holds up the fuel tank is rusted through, so if I drop the tank I'm sure that it will fall to pieces. To make this all more interesting, I have a gravel driveway so doing this work where the vehicle sits is going to be a complete pain in the butt.

Any suggestions? Is dropping the tank the next step? And if I have to go that route, it looks like the tank support / skid plate is a dealer only item and costs about $275?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts