RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2006 for a great price. Turned out to be a nightmare with so many issues I could barely make it 30 minutes after fixing one before another sprang up. Started with a coolant system leak, tracked it down to a radiator leak and purchased two new ones from Amazon. Always on the two is one is none plan. As always, Murphy’s law kicked in. One radiator was shipped to billing address, other shipped to Home address. The home address arrived a day late, and on weekend. I had the whole front end disassembled and decided to replace water pump while everything was off. Turns out the new radiator was the wrong radiator. I ended up purchasing a used one that day so that I could get it running.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
After getting used radiator and new water pump on I put everything back together... only to still have a radiator leak from another location. This time it was a bit harder to find. I thought that it was a bad water pump and replaced it again and I could see the pressure spraying from that area. Turns out it was not the water pump but the plastic intake tube behind the throttle body and below the manifold. Disassembled again and replaced. Then after everything was finished, another leak at the lower radiator hose connector on the transmission heat exchanger. Again fixed that.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2006 Range Rover HSE radiator/fuel nightmare

After all the leaks were completed and I finally believed I was getting somewhere the truck began to refuse to start almost like a lack of fuel.... I would disconnnect the battery and let it sit for a bit and it would start up again. I was also getting two dash codes for decreased engine performance and transmission fault. I changed the transmission filter and fluid, and yes it is was done correctly with correct fluid. Checked levels twice and all is good. I wanted to make sure that if there was a transmission fault I would take to dealer and have them do a scan and clear all codes and try again. Turns out that I got the same sylenoid B code and lean fuel issue as my OBDII scanner and had it cleared. Truck would drive but never gets out of 3rd gear, limp mode. Dealer charged me $70 for the 10 minutes to clear. As I was driving home the truck stalled out on freeway and refused to start. While waiting for tow, I decided to pull the fuel filter and take a look. Fuel filter seemed to be clear and was able to cycle fuel through, it also had tons of pressure on the quick disconnect both times I checked (sprayed me when I disconnected it). I had a friend try to start it while holding the fuel filter to see if the fuel would pump through, I asked her to wait because I forgot to connect the electric lines to the filter housing and reached in tank to grab them, thats when I noticed the lines all cut and connected together. This is when the nightmare started getting real.... take a look at the wiring on the fuel pump as well as the extra Phillips head tip and gasket in tank...Those lines were submerged in the fuel.

Attachments

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Re: 2006 Range Rover HSE radiator/fuel nightmare

Here's a nice way of putting my thoughts....
A comprehensive coolant pressure test/fill kit runs @$200 for the one I use. As cheap as @$50 though. You pressure test the coolant system, find the leaks for free, replace bad parts.
The radiator(s)!! were on you. I've yet to order two of anything like that, when I needed one, so that's a new one on me.
The fuel pump was easy to check before buying, although granted is rarely checked.
You paid peanuts for the rig it sounds like, so quit complaining. It is not a "nightmare", it's a European vehicle that required attention when you bought it for cheap. Time to either put the big boy pants on and realize why it was cheap, or pass it on. I see nothing majorly wrong myself.
The radiator is a stupid easy fix, and cheap even when using a Behr radiator. Done plenty myself.
Water pumps and hoses are maintenance items in my experience.
Test before spending money next time, it's a whole lot cheaper......
The fuel pump will require you putting it back to stock, to figure out why they butchered it. Could be a simple relay/fuse problem.
Get the right kit to test everything yourself, if you plan on keeping it. Look in the diagnostic section and get reading.

Martin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I returned both the new radiators, the one in the picture I posted was because they sent me the wrong one from BEHR. I checked all the relays and fuses with with the fuel pump, still unsure why they butchered it. Will replace the fuel pump and keep going. The nightmare isn't in doing the work, it was based on the previous owner who butchered this thing. All of the water pump bolts loose, pulley wheels were not tightened on, thermostat removed, etc....

The Land Rover Dealer told me that the fuel issue could be causing the engine to overheat and could be the reason the truck is giving reduced engine performance codes. Any thoughts?

Fuel pump and filtered ordered.

I will keep this thread updated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Just so that it is clear on why I ordered two radiators, I have been working on LandRovers for the better part of 10 years and I always seem to find that the wrong parts are sent on Range Rovers due to the BMW/Jaguar issue and the difference in the Sport and full size HSE. This time it was a good call, they sent the wrong radiator, I can only assume that the BEHR was for the Sport and they sent me the wrong one. The second radiator turned out to be the correct one and half the price from Amazon @ $117 USD.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts

Ive been wrenching on them @15yrs, and have yet to get an incorrect part from a decent vendor.
If it was running lean, yes it could run hot, but its doubtful the ecm would let it get that far

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
332 Posts

I have a 2005. The first coolant leak, I fixed and moved on. Then I had another one about two months later. Pay once, cry once. I ordered a complete coolant hose kit including water pump and expansion tank/cap. This was about a year ago ant 90k miles.

If anything else goes, it will be the radiator.....thats the only think I havent replaced.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

What is all that tan gunk in your coolant elbow, engine sealer, or oil residue? Eitherway it needs to be flushed out of the cooling system before you spend good money on the proper antifreeze.

Also where is your fuel filter in those pictures? the correct fuel filter is a big white bowl looking thing with connections for the fuel lines and electrical connections. See image below. It is fit into the tank opening and held in with a white plastic threaded ring and all the fuel lines and fuel pump connections plug into it on the top. That black cover that has the ground screw attached to it is the inspection cover that is installed in the floor of the passenger compartment and all it does is protect the wires and fuel fittings and separate the fuel tank from the passenger compartment. It should not be exposed to fuel in the tank. It sits over the top of item 2 in the image below, which is your fuel filter. Did someone hack in an inline filter? and then cut all the connectors and wire it back together? Normally your fuel pump connections would plug into item 4 on the image below, and then the fuel filter passes the wires thru itself to connector item 1. Looks like that is where somebody hacked up your wiring.
06_l322 4_4L FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY.jpg

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
After getting used radiator and new water pump on I put everything back together... only to still have a radiator leak from another location.
Looks like you need good cooling system flush and figure out what the goop is lining that hose fitting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts