RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I had to pull the valve body and change the solenoids. Everything is back together. Car is close to level, but still short on fluid since I can't get it to do anything more than light up the dash. I did have U0101 lost tcm communication, and P0851 Park/Neutral switch input circuit low. So I pulled the valve body back out, realized the shift fork wasn't in correctly. Put everything back together. Plugged it back in, connection seems solid. Is it possible that I got trans fluid on the mechatronics plug, and that's enough to cause this? I HAVE NOT added fluid again in case I need to pull the pan back down again. I'm lost. This should have been such an easy job, but this has me stumped. Thanks!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
62 Posts
I’m going thought the same service items right now and am still waiting for the replacement parts for my 07.

Do you still have the same fault codes after refitting the shift fork sensor correctly?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,365 Posts
Did you ensure that the round boss on the inhibitor/gear position switch slider and the pin on the rooster comb both fitted into the slot at the end of the manual valve?

Phil

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RR876, and RRPhil, I'm pretty confident that they're positioned correctly. That said, I'm tempted to take a clean pan, drain the fluid, drop the pan again so I can look. Also so I can post some pictures again. Here's another question. If I got trans fluid on the plug from my gloves, could that cause an issue? I don't know that I did. Is it safe to clean that plug with contact cleaner? I truly can't thank you enough for chiming in. This car has been a headache since day one, but I love it and want to get it straightened out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Did you ensure that the round boss on the inhibitor/gear position switch slider and the pin on the rooster comb both fitted into the slot at the end of the manual valve?

Phil
Thanks RRPhil. I’ll make sure to look out for both connections.

·
Registered
62 Posts
RR876, and RRPhil, I'm pretty confident that they're positioned correctly. That said, I'm tempted to take a clean pan, drain the fluid, drop the pan again so I can look. Also so I can post some pictures again. Here's another question. If I got trans fluid on the plug from my gloves, could that cause an issue? I don't know that I did. Is it safe to clean that plug with contact cleaner? I truly can't thank you enough for chiming in. This car has been a headache since day one, but I love it and want to get it straightened out.
I would guess that used trans oil with microscopic metal particles would not be good for any electrics but I’m guessing that this is not your problem. I’m tempted to clean with contact cleaner myself to be sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would guess that used trans oil with microscopic metal particles would not be good for any electrics but I’m guessing that this is not your problem. I’m tempted to clean with contact cleaner myself to be sure.
Wife just ran out for a new battery just as a precaution, nope. Tomorrow back under with some contact cleaner, and a mirror to make sure I didn't bend a pin, too.I'll update you, but not too confident at this point. If it doesn't, it's going to an independent shop about an hour away that is really good. It'll be time to throw in the towel.

·
Registered
Land Rover Range Rover L322 4.4 л 448PN, 306 л.с., gasoline, automatic transmission, four-wheel dri
4 Posts
Hello. I also have problem P0851. The engine does not start. did you solve this problem?
LR RR 2005 4.4jaguar

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello. I also have problem P0851. The engine does not start. did you solve this problem?
LR RR 2005 4.4jaguar
I believe it turned out to be the shift sensor/piston/shift linkage alignment that got mis assembled first time around.

·
Registered
Land Rover Range Rover L322 4.4 л 448PN, 306 л.с., gasoline, automatic transmission, four-wheel dri
4 Posts
I believe it turned out to be the shift sensor/piston/shift linkage alignment that got mis assembled first time around.
Thanks. Changed the gearbox oil October 2019. everything was fine. P0851 appeared March 2020.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The machine starts if you close the starter relay. After that, the machine starts up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. Well, I sort of understood the reason. It is necessary to adjust the gearbox cable. Before it all started, I took off the cable.
I’ll go and see how the car will behave.
All good and
to be healthy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi All and here it is. So it was all a matter of bad things happening at the same time. The plug to the valve body had a repair that was done prior to my owning the vehicle. The wire that was repaired, was done in a very, um, incorrect manner. When I put everything back together, I inadvertently fried the valve body. So the less expensive option was actually a used trans from an LR3 with a year warranty. But I'm still chasing issues mechanically. Engine rattles.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fried the valve body or mechatronic? Why not just exchange the valve body, mechatronic or both Changing a transmission is a lot of work and complete pain in the arse. Valve body only a few hours and pretty straight forward. If you change the mechatronic, it needs to be coded to the vehicle similar to LCM and cluster.
ZF has a bulletin to look for pushed in pins at the connector. It can throw lots of codes. Can someone confirm, because I'm not willing to test, does the truck start if connector is disconnected?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fried the valve body or mechatronic? Why not just exchange the valve body, mechatronic or both Changing a transmission is a lot of work and complete pain in the arse. Valve body only a few hours and pretty straight forward. If you change the mechatronic, it needs to be coded to the vehicle similar to LCM and cluster.
ZF has a bulletin to look for pushed in pins at the connector. It can throw lots of codes. Can someone confirm, because I'm not willing to test, does the truck start if connector is disconnected?
Sorry Mechatronic and the trans swap is done. I was questioning this trans for a bit so when I fried the mech, and we realized it, decided a swap was in order. Why does everyone say it's hard? This wasn't a difficult swap, the old one out one afternoon, the new one in the next morning, a buddy went through the programming, and done! Um, if it takes you a few hours to do the valve body on a ZF? You need someone else to do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts