RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me truck, didn't use it for a few days, battery was dead, no problem, use key. key turns lock 90 degrees, locking tab in door goes party up, but will not unlock. Using this site, I found a way to charge my battery overnight through sidelight at 2-4 amps. I have power to the truck. Key fob was not lighting up well, switch for a new battery, but it appears the key fob has become unsynched. Tried another way through the back tailgate I found on the net, but no luck so far. Called BCAA, they came, tried slim jimmying the doors, no luck, even with me turning the key in the lock at the same time. Tried door handles, no luck, tried tailgate and door unlock buttons with a stick, no luck. The BCAA guy gave up as he did not want to damage the truck, of course it's a long weekend here and everyone is closed. Any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now at the shop, they are in discussions with LR as to the best way and will try a couple of ways tomorrow.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
128 Posts
This is one of the reasons I'm terrified of my battery going dead with the doors locked. Your key fob not syncing is weird tho. Were you able to fully charge the battery?

Please keep us updated.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So visited the shop (run by a friend of mine who is a LR trained mechanic) They have spent 4 hours trying to get in, attached a booster to the alternator to ensure voltage is correct, checked the key is working, operated the drivers door handle twice, which is supposed to override the super lock. I helped him take a bore snake camera to the tailgate, but we could not see the emergency release. He has spoken to LR who can't offer any suggestions. If we can't think of anything else tonite, the next step is to break the drivers window and get the key into the ignition to disable the superlock. He is worried the drivers door is stuck halfway between super lock and unlock, short circuiting the alarm functions (2 pulls on drives door handle is supposed to override superlock). We will be replacing the door lock, so word to the wise, check your key manually opens the door, if not then get it replaced.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Waiting for my shop to break the drivers door window ($569) so they can get the key into the ignition. If that unlocks the truck then they replace the door lock ($369). labour all included with the time trying to get in, about $1,000. Now here is the kicker, if the drivers door won't unlock, then they have to remove the drivers set, try to get the trim off without breaking it and open the door. The trim to replace is $3,000 new with a lead time of 1 month

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,194 Posts
Since the key turns in the lock did you try to get the window auto rolldown function to work? Hold the key in the unlock position for about 3 to 5 seconds and the windows should roll down, assuming that function is activated. Same function with the remote control holding the unlock button down for the same time period, but since your keys seem to no longer be sync'ed the remote activation won't work, but the keylock one should.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mark, we did try the holding the unlock button with the key in the lock along with with a few other variations and nothing. I had ordered the RSW software for this, but was waiting on the plug. I will make sure that function is activated once the truck is repaired.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
All you need to do is hold the key in the 90 degree position lock (windows up) or unlock (windows down), for 3 to 5 seconds. Don't have to push any buttons on the remote and it will work if the option is active In the US we have to many lawyers so none of ours will roll the windows up because we must be too stupid to not cut off someones head or hands when the windows close. Just want t make sure you turned the key and held it in the unlock position before you go about breaking a 600 dollar window.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Much appreciated, yea I am pretty sure I tried that, but will mention it Monday morning to try it before they swing the hammer. Being fighting this since July 1st so beginning to forget everything I tried.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So they broke the window and were able to unlock the truck when the key went into the ignition. They say the lock works fine with power and my issue was a dead battery. But I charged it for two days at 4amps and they put a booster onto the starter, with no luck either? They say the lock works now, but my understanding is the lock is both electrical and has a purely mechanical side which is not dependent on the battery?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Door locks are totally electrical, all the key does is rotate in the lock housing and closes a lock or unlock contact, which is wired to the GEM module (same as the Body control module). The side door latches are sealed units that incorporate separate actuators for locking and superlocking the doors. Each door latch also incorporates a Hall effect sensor that operates as an ajar switch to provide a door status signal for the GEM. The driver door latch incorporates two additional Hall effect sensors to provide signals of lock and unlock selections made with the
ignition key in the door lock. Turning the top of the ignition key rearwards sends a lock signal and turning the top of the ignition key forwards sends an unlock signal. The driver and front passenger door latches communicate with the GEM via their respective door modules and the P bus. The rear door latches are connected direct to the GEM. Each of the door latches is connected to a locking button in the top of the door trim panel. Pressing the locking button down when the door is closed disengages the exterior handle from the door latch to lock the door. Pulling on the interior handle extends the locking button from the door trim again and re-engages the exterior handle with the door latch, to unlock the door (without opening the door latch). A second pull on the interior door handle opens the door latch. On all except the driver door, the doors can be slam locked after pressing the button down while the door is open. For lockout protection, the driver door locking button cannot be pressed down when the driver door is open.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
800 Posts
The drivers door lock is mechanically operated by the key. Which means that even with the battery disconnected you will be able to unlock and open the door. This is assuming that the mechanism that connects the lock barrel to the latch unit is not broken and is correctly fitted.

I have come across a couple of door lock issues where the lock has been incorrectly fitted and has not located in the latch. A simple realignment of the lock shaft has cured that.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
I helped him take a bore snake camera to the tailgate, but we could not see the emergency release.
The "emergency release" is a misnomer. No emergency release has ever been installed to gain access to a locked vehicle.

Well documented on the internet, which is the only reason I am posting this, is that you remove the license plate light on the underside of the hatch, bend the anti theft plate out of the way, when installed, of the latch solenoid rod and manually trip the latch. The hatch opens and you have access. Now this in no way gives the person gaining access the ability to start the car and drive away. The key is still required.
Although not as easy as breaking a window, it is cheaper. 8-|=

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He did try that way but perhaps didn't bend the plate. Apparently there is a interior release to open the gate from the inside and pictures of the unit on ebay show a cable coming out of the lock with a tab, which was what we were looking for.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Must be one of those 2006 one year only things. First gen had no plate, I know 2007 and up had the security plate. None of them had any kind of cable and handle. It would only be accessible from the inside of the rig and then only if you trashed the trim to gain access to it. If you were locked in the boot of a Range Rover you could just open a back door.

It is nothing like the NAS requirement for a trunk/boot release if someone is kidnapped and locked in the trunk of some sedan like some mob abduction movie.

Emergency Trunk-Release Levers Saves Lives! For the 2002 model year, all cars will be required to feature a standard glow-in-the-dark trunk-release lever or handle, which opens the compartment from the inside in the event of an emergency.
Check the trunk right away if your child is missing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Mark, we did try the holding the unlock button with the key in the lock along with with a few other variations and nothing. I had ordered the RSW software for this, but was waiting on the plug. I will make sure that function is activated once the truck is repaired.
I’Ve THE BEST SOLUTION without braking no window . all you have to do is
first step take the driver side fender liner out there is whole to reach the hood release cable just pull on it your hood will be open you guys welcome
Be open

1 - 17 of 17 Posts