RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 HSE. I just picked this up a month or so ago. In decent shape overall. Good shape for a 13 year old vehicle actually.

Anyway I cannot get heat from the dash panel vents. I have heat from all other sources except for the vents. I’ve tried playing with that wheel below the vents with the red and blue dots and it makes no difference so I’m assuming that’s somehow the culprit. Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Are the vents open? White line on the wheel next to the vents lined up with the green circle. If its Lined up with the Red circle then the little louvers behind the vent itself are physically closed. The red and blue wheel under the vents just allow cold or warm air to be blown out of the dash vents. The more blue dots exposed the colder the air, the more red dots the hotter the air. That wheel doesn't really have anything to do with the air flow from the vents, it controls the stepper motors down under the dash that control dampers that control the mix of hot or cold air to the vents.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the vents are open it just blows cool air regardless of the blue or red dots. The AC works like a top. I have plenty of heat coming from the windshield or floorboard settings. Just if I select the dash vents it’s cool air regardless of the heat setting. It’s warmer than the ac air, but nowhere near as hot as the other settings and not warm enough to bring the truck to a comfortable setting. I haven’t thought to try the rear seat vents yet though.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Do the side vents by the windows get warmer or colder when you fool with that horizontal dial? The ductwork to all 4 of those vents is a single common piece that sits over 4 individual outlet doors. A single motor controls all four doors on a common shaft. That motor opens the vents when the face level outputs are selected either manually or in automatic mode. The motor is on top of the HVAC box, just infront of the ignition key on the left side of the car (In NA). On the passenger side of the heater box (RH in NA) there is a blend door controller that controls the temperature of the air going to the 4 dash vents. If you pull the passenger side console footwell trim off its right about where the trim piece meets the side of the console near the top directly above the stepper motor that controls the air temperture to the rear console vents. The controller is just a cable on a movable arm, and its connected to the horizontal dial under the center dash vent. As you move the dial one way or the other the cable moves the blend door to send hotter, or colder air to the dash vents. Maybe the adjustment cable came off one end or the other.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
In the attached picture, the belden cable for the dash level temperature blend door inside the HVAC box is the green one with the red ends on it. That controls the temperature of the air going to the dash vents and is connected to the horizontal dial under the center vent. The 4 openings in the middle are the duct openings for the dash vents and the stepper motor on the left side that is connected to the center dash doors controls the opening and closing of those doors. They are all on a common shaft and move as one. The stepper motor just under the end of the green belden cable still attached to the box on the right side is the motor that controls the airflow to the rear console vents. The two big openings on top are the dash vent outlets, and the ones in the back are the air intakes from the filter housing in the engine compartment. There are either 6 or 7 stepper motors attached to this box, and they are all different model numbers, in case one burns out and you need a new one.

hvac box.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the insight. No there is no heat from any of the dash vents including the ones on the side. I think the cable must have come loose as there is no resistance on that dial doohickey at all. It just spins side to side.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Theres 4 clips inside the center dash register, two in the top, two in the bottom each one is in the center of the adjustable grille section openings. Push out (away from the center of the register) on each clip and pull out slightly, repeat until all 4 are released, and pull out the register. There is an electrical connector on the side and that cable (maybe not in your case) on the bottom. If its off stick it back on and snap the register back in. The lower end requires removing the passenger side front console side cover. Theres one screw up under the dash, and then a couple of clips behind the woodgrain trim and that panel will pull right off. You should be able to see the lower end of the cable up near the top of the console close to where the cigar lighter is.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is great help, thank you! I will attempt to tear into it this weekend. On the bright side the steering wheel heater still works!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts