RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my 2006 HSE to get the Bluetooth phonebook upgrade. They got me in late and then the tech comes back and says he can't communicate with the BT module and I need a new one. I agree to have it replaced and they start loading the software. At this point I am into my 2nd hour which was originally only a 1 hour appointment. Had them check on it again since I was running late and service advisor brings the car back to me and says they can't get the new module upgraded either so I have to come back and leave the vehicle with them. Anyone had this experience? Do you think they got another bad module or just don't know how to do the upgrade?

Thanks

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
331 Posts
My bet is they dont know how to do the upgrade. I had the same thing happen to me 2 months ago. It took 4 hours, 2 BT modules and $600. In the end they told me they were having trouble with their computer talking to the BT module. Mine is a 2005 and not all of the features work. You also have to lower the volume so you dont get feedback and echoing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My guess is it is the dealer. I had it done out here in Denver on my 06, and really no issues, (other than my phone is too old to link the address book). Not sure where you took your car in KS, but when I lived in Overland Park a few years back, I went to Aristocrat for a different car at the time, and they were bone heads...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nasdaq said:
My guess is it is the dealer. I had it done out here in Denver on my 06, and really no issues, (other than my phone is too old to link the address book). Not sure where you took your car in KS, but when I lived in Overland Park a few years back, I went to Aristocrat for a different car at the time, and they were bone heads...
Ding ding, it was Aristocrat. I would take it somewhere else but I don't know of anyone in town who has the tools to do the upgrade.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Took my 2006 HSE in this week for "upgrade". Well, the upgrade was done and nothing changed. To be specific, I have an Iphone 3g and just wanted to be able to access the contacts--but no such luck. Dealer recommended I leave well enough alone as they "did what they could do". I can make and receive calls great--but that is all. Dealer said they have had a lot of problems with the upgrades not performing as expected with their customers.

Any advice or should I buy the dealer's story and just be happy I can make and receive calls?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
331 Posts
Postby BainbridgeRoverMK » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:46 pm
Took my 2006 HSE in this week for "upgrade". Well, the upgrade was done and nothing changed. To be specific, I have an Iphone 3g and just wanted to be able to access the contacts--but no such luck. Dealer recommended I leave well enough alone as they "did what they could do". I can make and receive calls great--but that is all. Dealer said they have had a lot of problems with the upgrades not performing as expected with their customers.

Any advice or should I buy the dealer's story and just be happy I can make and receive calls?

I call BS. I have an ipone 3G and the only thing that doest work is texting. If they did it for free, then its up to you. If you paid, remind them that the phone is on the list of supported phones on the LR website. This is a dealer training/software issue, not a hardware issue with your car or phone. Find a capable dealer and it should be able to work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other thing I have noticed with my Bluetooth is that I will be talking to someone and they will cut in and out and then at some point I won't hear them at all and then all of a sudden, I can hear them again and then over time it slowly gets worse again. Is this the bluetooth module causing the problem? Should this clear up if they install a new module or is this due t the fact my module has the old software?

Thx

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Despite Land Rover's TSB stating the contrary I found out that, indeed, some Nokia PTI modules on early MY06 models (I have a 2006 RRS but the telephone hardware should be pretty much the same) cannot be upgraded with later software revisions and/or with the Phonebook-over-Bluetooth feature if you go through "regular" channels (authorized dealers.) It all depends on the model of Nokia module installed in your car, there are quite a few of them and the sole difference among them is in the preloaded software. I was told the same thing by my dealer when I tried getting my module upgraded originally, the software would not "take". My module's model # is XVJ500170. Modules numbered XVJ500171 and higher are apparently upgradeable via IDS. The stealer wanted an obscene sum of money to replace my old module with a new unit that included the latest software and features, so I declined and took my car to a local independent shop equipped with a recent version of IDS.

At first the update failed at the indy shop as well, and seemed to confirm the diagnosis of the dealer. The IDS session (which is painfully slow and requires the interaction of a technician for almost 45 minutes to turn the ignition on and off at least a dozen times as prompted by the software before you can get to the right configuration screen) would correctly identify my car module but eventually inform us there were "no updates available" for that specific unit, and abruptly end the session. However, based on information collected on a different LR forum I told the tech to run the IDS session again, but this time to "lie" and pick a more recent module from the pop-up list than the one actually installed in my car (we picked # XVJ500171 instead of XVJ500170, close enough...) IDS then proceeded to upgrade the software of my module and, lo and behold, my Motorola Droid pairs great now - it would not pair automatically before the software update, always asking me for the stupid pairing code instead - and the handset phonebook syncs with the car just fine. FWIW, I never had connection issues before the upgrade - reception was always pretty good - but plenty of pairing problems when I started using newer phones that obviously were not yet supported by my 2006 system.

So, in my experience it may be possible to upgrade a supposedly "non-upgradeable" Bluetooth module on a MY06, but not if you do it by the book through a dealer... :wink: As far as their claim that they are having problems upgrading the software in the new module they sold you, it sounds strange to say the least. The whole point of paying for a new module is that the newest software is already built in, there should be nothing to upgrade! Perhaps they are having trouble getting the infotainment system in the car to recognize and "talk" to the replacement module. These Nokia boxes are supposed to be plug and play, but after having witnessed first hand how clumsy and slow the IDS process is to access these modules in the car, I would not be surprised if something went haywire in a configuration file during the hardware swap. Gotta love all these electronics. :evil: Keep us posted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank for the info! I am taking it back tomorrow. I have been unable to find an Indy in Kansas City wih IDS so I think my hands are somewhat tied.

David

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still at the dealer for the last day and a half. They just can't get the update to load and been on phone with their own tech support trying to get this to work at least 6 seperate times. :pray:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Needed my RR back to tow something tonight so I had to get it from the dealer today. They still can't figure out why the upgrade won't work. Taking it back again on Monday for another go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Took my 2006 HSE to a different dealer and explained that the Iphone 3g phone book would not pair despite another dealer having done the software download/update. The tech I talked to said the other dealer must have missed a step in the update. He was right. He redownloaded the software and now I have the phone book/contacts. Talk of needing a new module never came up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BainbridgeRoverMK said:
Took my 2006 HSE to a different dealer and explained that the Iphone 3g phone book would not pair despite another dealer having done the software download/update. The tech I talked to said the other dealer must have missed a step in the update. He was right. He redownloaded the software and now I have the phone book/contacts. Talk of needing a new module never came up.
I am thinking the fact that my Bluetooth audio fades in and out (or breaks up slowly and then comes back) that there might be an issue with the module. What else could be causing the BT audio to break up like that?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I have finally resolved my issue! Original BT module was having problems for sure but it turns out that the new module they tried also was fried so they tried a third module and that finally worked. Phone book working and no more drop outs of BT audio. Yeah!!!

I have to give credit to Aristocrat (dealer). They put me in a rental car on their dime while they sorted this out. Although I had to pay for the module (as expected), I didn't get charged for all of the crazy hours they spent working the issue

David

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just as a followup to the topic of upgrading the bluetooth on a 2006 HSE....

I have not upgraded mine. I have a 2006 HSE and an iPhone 3G. I do not hear any echo or problems but the person I am talking to via bluetooth says there is a horrible echo. I have therefore not been able to use my bluetooth in my car which is very frustrating. I don't want to pay to have my module updated if it will only add the phonebook contacts but not correct the echo error. My dealership (LR of Dallas, TX) said that they do not think it will solve the echo problem. Have any of you found a solution to this problem?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
RoverYacht said:
Just as a followup to the topic of upgrading the bluetooth on a 2006 HSE....

I have not upgraded mine. I have a 2006 HSE and an iPhone 3G. I do not hear any echo or problems but the person I am talking to via bluetooth says there is a horrible echo. I have therefore not been able to use my bluetooth in my car which is very frustrating. I don't want to pay to have my module updated if it will only add the phonebook contacts but not correct the echo error. My dealership (LR of Dallas, TX) said that they do not think it will solve the echo problem. Have any of you found a solution to this problem?

Thanks
Echo is typically caused from TOO LOUD SOUND, so try first adjusting your level till they tell you its gone.

Upgrade will definitely not fix those problems, it's just to add contacts which works 50-50 on iPhones. Wait till the 4 comes out & causes even more problems.

But again, echo is just a sound level issue.

AL

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just finished reading through this thread. I looked at the TSB that umbertob posted (thanks), and found that our Rover falls within the affected VINs. We also are experiencing the lack of phonebook download, and according to the TSB, this is not a warranty item. So, we're expected to pay for a "feature" that should've been available the whole time? :doh:

And I thought Mercedes-Benz were the world's largest rip-off artists. I'm guessing we're all paying an hour's labor for this "upgrade"?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts