RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 HSE currently has 49,000 miles and I have recently experienced a cloud of blue smoke on startup. This has happened 3 separate times, and seems to happen only after being parked outside for a few hours. I have recently had an emissions test with a plug-in test to the on board diagnostic system with no negative results, and the dash dianostics display does not show any negative messages either.

The oil was last changed at the 45,000 mile service and seems to be clean and is not showing less oil in the system at the dipstick.

The dealer does not seem concerned, thinking that it is unburned fuel.

This is disconcerting. Any thoughts are appreciated in advance. Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Blue smoke indicates that oil is being burnt. When you park the car up oil drains back to the sump but if you have worn or perished seals this will allow oil to enter the piston bores causing this to be burnt off on start up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had to replace PVC system to fix ours. Parts not to expencive cheaper than the head job we did just to find out at the end it was the check valve in the oil passage way (under the head gasket) that keeps the vanos PWM valve full of oil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
drcoho said:
Had to replace PVC system to fix ours. Parts not to expencive cheaper than the head job we did just to find out at the end it was the check valve in the oil passage way (under the head gasket) that keeps the vanos PWM valve full of oil.

EDIT
check valve is behind or infront of the Vanos valve. It caused our bad timing issue. The head gaket job was probably a waste of $$$ unfortinatlly it was my $$. But the 3 different shops had a hard time to figure it out . one Land rover dealer one BMW dealer and an independant. Land rove actually said PVC system was good. But after the timing issue was resolved and a complete head rebuild grind and seals the oil was still pumping out the exhaust till the pvc system was replaced Its runn good fpor two years except for the little taping noise its like as if the valves arnt adjusted correctly in old style engine with push rods

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
89 Posts
2006 RRS SC.

I have a check engine light. The code is in regard to something at right bank of the engine. Mechanic said it was the PVC valve assembly and you can actually see where a previous owner tried to fix it with some type of putty. It whistles while the engine is running. A new one is $65 and I have it on the way.

I also have blue smoke on startup after the vehicle has sat overnight or for several hours at work, not even a hint of smoke after that or while its running.

After reading this thread I really didn't fully understand, I am hoping that $65 PCV valve assembly fixes the smoke at start up.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
694 Posts
The AJ33 v8's in the RR and RRSC post 2006 all have noisy pcv valves unfortunately. Not saying yours isn't bad, just saying noise doesn't indicate much :(

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
They do make some noise, due to the design of the breather tube coming off it, but they are also a very common issue when it comes to burning oil.

Toss a new one on, make sure you're not overdue for an oil change(breaking down oil will cause more oil vapor, and can emulate a failed PCV valve) and drive it kinda hard to blow out the oil that's already in the intake. It won't be an immediate fix, might take a few days of driving to get out what's already there and stop the smoking.

·
Registered
89 Posts
They do make some noise, due to the design of the breather tube coming off it, but they are also a very common issue when it comes to burning oil.

Toss a new one on, make sure you're not overdue for an oil change(breaking down oil will cause more oil vapor, and can emulate a failed PCV valve) and drive it kinda hard to blow out the oil that's already in the intake. It won't be an immediate fix, might take a few days of driving to get out what's already there and stop the smoking.
IMG_1155[1].jpg
You can actually see on mine where someone tried to repair it. When a new is so cheap i really don't understand why.
There is a huge volume of smoke right at startup and then absolutely none thereafter. It is also very clearly blue, when that isn't always the case with vehicles burning oil from my experience.

·
Registered
89 Posts
PCV valve seems to have corrected my smoke at startup. Yay! cheap fix. Now if I can just get the check engine light to stay off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts