Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

The AFS headlight on my 2006 HSE suddenly stop working. I did search on the forum but I can't find any symptoms like mine. It just started yesterday while I was driving, the AFS warning light flashes on my dash suddenly. After I parked my car, I realize the light is pointing only downwards. I restart the car, the lights calibrate itself like usual but it wouldn't go up it just stays the most downwards position and turn sideways. Therefore I thought it would be the motor that controls the up/downward movement failed.

I removed the headlights, managed to removed the up/down motors, disassembled, lucubrated, and before I install everything back, I manually adjust the motor rod back to normal height by turning the actual gear and screw inside the motor, and reassemble it. Now before I connect everything back, the "eyeball" of the xenon lights are at normal height.

Now I connect everything back, first time start the car, nothing happens, light wont even move sideways or up/downwards like if there is no such feature. I was thinking is ok because I did adjust the eyeball back into the center position anyways and if it doesn't move I am OK. However, I stop the car, start it the second time, the left lights went sideways and downwards but not upwards and it is stuck at that very same downward position as before while the right light did not move, so now the left light pointing downwards and right light is pointing normal height since it didn't moved from my manually adjusted position. I stop the car again, started the third time, now the right light moved sideways then point downwards than stop again. So now my lights are stuck at the same position as before I removed the headlight. I start the car for the 4th time and both lights don't move at all again, stuck at downwards position.

So I think is very strange, both up/downwards and sideways motors of both headlights are fine for sure since they did move. It just stayed at the wrong position after calibrate and will not move again. Also if is a motor failure why would both headlights motor fail at the same time? The chances seems very slim. Would it be the AFS module that failed? Or the height sensors at the 4 wheels that failed? I did jack up the car for about an hour to lube the suspension bushings before it happens. Does anyone know if the lights can be reset to the center position? I mean I can go buy a new pair of headlights or module and try but it doesn't seems to be the headlights problem. Does anyone have such experience before? Thank you so much and hope someone can give me some ideas on this issue =)

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Usually it is just one that fails, and generally speaking, the one that is sitting level(not the one pointed down) is the bad one, if it is a motor failure. Your situation could be a sensor failure, in the headlight, not at the wheels, as the position of the light is monitored.

Were they both pointing down before you started taking things apart?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Usually it is just one that fails, and generally speaking, the one that is sitting level(not the one pointed down) is the bad one, if it is a motor failure. Your situation could be a sensor failure, in the headlight, not at the wheels, as the position of the light is monitored.

Hi,
I had the same problem and posted a fix for that. Sounds complicated but is rather simple. I'll post pictures soon. See my last post for the fix. It worked ever since

·
Registered
19 Posts
Forgot to mention one thing which may be important. In my case it was one side. So I switched AFS module from bottom of light to other side. No the problem occurred intermittendly on other side. Found old headlight on ebay for $90 and used motor and module from that. No more problems.

I am talking about the vertical up/ down issue.
I had a brief problem once after battery was down with AFS warning light. That is about the left right swivel. Also on my 07 the traction select failed to show steering angle. Was a brief issue with steering angle sensor.

My theory is this. Motor gets stuck in calibration cycle on down endpoint. That motor has very little power. So I removed all lubricant w alcohol and just added graphite powder.
No when that screw doesn't have the power to come back from endpoint I don't think the problem is the motor. I believe the output voltage from AFS module to motor is low below spec due to some aged component. I haven't verified that. But in my case the issue was isolated to the workings in the headlight themselves. Fortunately.

Your problem description sounds exactly like mine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Where is the sensor in the headlight? I did swap around the AFS unit but no luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgot to mention one thing which may be important. In my case it was one side. So I switched AFS module from bottom of light to other side. No the problem occurred intermittendly on other side. Found old headlight on ebay for $90 and used motor and module from that. No more problems.

I am talking about the vertical up/ down issue.
I had a brief problem once after battery was down with AFS warning light. That is about the left right swivel. Also on my 07 the traction select failed to show steering angle. Was a brief issue with steering angle sensor.

My theory is this. Motor gets stuck in calibration cycle on down endpoint. That motor has very little power. So I removed all lubricant w alcohol and just added graphite powder.
No when that screw doesn't have the power to come back from endpoint I don't think the problem is the motor. I believe the output voltage from AFS module to motor is low below spec due to some aged component. I haven't verified that. But in my case the issue was isolated to the workings in the headlight themselves. Fortunately.

Your problem description sounds exactly like mine.

Sometimes the left side headlight will come up to normal height after maybe 5 tries. The right one will not come back up. When I took apart the lights both are pointing down but when I reassemble back the light I adjusted back to normal height. After I hook them back up it goes back down again. But even the sideway movements now doesnt always move at every start of the car.

So now my sutiation is like this. Most of the time the headlight are pointing down. After maybe 5 starts the left one will go back up so I got one up one down. Sometimes it goes sideways, sometimes it doesn't. After the left one comes back up it stays for about 3 car starts then it goes back down. I am wondering if a new AFS module will help? I did took apart the motor and saw the lubricant but I didn't remove it or anything since when I turn the screw inside the motor the screw seems very smooth so I just reassemble everything back. It does seems like I have the same problem as you do. Maybe I will take the motor out and remove all the lubricant and try again.

Now my question is that it seems like is just the up/down motor problem. How come the sideway calibration only engage like every 5 times I start the car? Most of the time I start the car now the headlights just does not move at all. Does it indicates all motors failed? Or are there any height sensor in the headlight failed? Or the AFS module?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am also having the same issue. My headlights appear to just point forward and down. Both of them. They appear to move a little bit when I turn it on sometimes. But they're always pointed down. Driving at night blows.

They started to act a little goofy when I was having a battery issue (it was dying and I didn't know it) but then I got a new battery and they worked fine for about a week. And then they stopped functioning.

Is it possible the low voltage did some damage to a module? Before I take the headlights assembly out and start cleaning gears and everything (and forget how to put it back together) - looking to see if anyone has some troubleshooting ideas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i'm still have the same issue. i took my car to a shop today and system came up with two codes for both AFS modules (i'm guessing there is a right and left module). So the lights turn on, and they move a little bit (they'll center and move up a tiny bit, but not all the way up forward).
He told me the codes confused him because they conflicted. One code told him that the module(s) experienced low voltage and the other code told him that the light module wasn't communicating with the main computer. He was confused because he was wondering how he could get the low volt error,but at the same time it was telling him the module wasn't communicating at all. so he wants to chase wires etc.

for the 2006 full sized range rover supercharged... what is the part that i want to replace if I i want to replace the module that controls the movement of the headlights. And is there one or two of these modules?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
222 Posts
Again I know there maybe differences but when our Fords headlamps do this we just do a recalibration on our WDS computers we can talk to all the modules, Sometimes they just get confused., So a recal, and an update normally cures this fault. You may need to go to a LR dealer for updates and recalibration.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the response...

i found and bought a new module on eBay, before i read this. i am having a non-dealer do the repair, but they are a LR specialty shop and i imagine have the capability to reprogram these modules? or can LR dealerships only make the actual repair? is it possible that the specialty shop has the ability to do it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts