RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, long story made short... Buddy's truck.

2006 RR HSE, 270k miles or maybe more. Started to....well not start, or occasionally start. Suspect electrical issues, recalibrate and test sensors, alternator, and TPS. No luck with getting it to run well. When it runs it runs fine.

Buddy is short on time, drop it off at generic LR dealer. They do compression test and decide they don't want to work on it. Outer cylinders are normal, I suppose 130-150PSI, inner cylinders 60-75PSI. Well that is strange...

No history of overheating, no other engine work performed that is known.

Where should we start? It'll be towed to my garage as time permits. My guess which doesn't make sense is warped heads, but on both sides with no overheating? 2nd would be stuck valves.. but again inner only and both banks?

Also.. Does anyone have the RAVE manual for the 4.4 AJ-V8? specifically in the L322 of course.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Inner cylinders having low compression can't be limited to the Aj33?

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
if it were only one bank that can be the sign of a failing head gasket that hasn't let go yet. All four inner cylinders? Nothing springs to mind.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
The 4.4 is covered in the 2007-2009 manual. link for download is in the FAQ.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
When dealing with an engine issue start with all the test to know what is going on. Do a chemical block test. Perform vacuum test and check for a steady needle, low or high vacuum readings... Pull all the spark plugs before testing. (inspect the plugs) Run compression again to verify their results, also make sure to run a dry and wet compression tests, perform cylinder leak down on affected cylinders to check the valves are closing properly.

Always start with the basics and remember to keep it simple.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Not sure if similar to my situation but have you guys looked at the throttle body? Common they crud up with oil around the blade. Mine would run fine when it did run but starting was a craps shoot. Would turn over and either immediately die, run rough then sputter out, or run very loopy until you began driving. If your friends runs fine once it's running, highly doubt anything internal is fouled, then again who knows. I was surprised how much garbage accumulated around the throttle body blade. Seems what happens is when you start the car and the blade is partially open, the buildup inhibits air flow and starting/idling the truck normally is a real issue.

I removed the TB completely and cleaned it, refit problem completely gone.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good information everyone. We will remeasure all of the tests.

He actually did clean and reset the throttle body. As well as test it. There’s a possibility that it was replaced as well, but I’m 50/50 on that; I’ll ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts