RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New bulletin issued has instructions on replacing compressor's delivery valve, air drier and relay (plus performing a control module software update) when amber or red suspensions warning light turns on and "Suspension system inactive' displays in the message center, or should there be a marked degradation of suspension system performance along with the fault messages and/or warning lights. Several DTCs may also be stored in the related control module. Current part #'s for delivery valve, drier and relay kits are included in the bulletin. :thumb: As always, check the VIN range and, whenever possible, the stored diag trouble codes before assuming this fix applies to you... Note for example that MY2011 RRS are not included in the TSB.

Also posting workshop manual's sections for air compressor + drier removal and installation, for experienced DIYers / indy shops or those of us without a factory warranty and willing to give these procedures a shot on our own (you'd still need someone with up-to-date diagnostics to update the control module software per TSB, though.)

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had this problem come up last month and I got everything replaced in the bulletin including the software update. I paid for it my self, is that something that they could redeem me for it?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
sheefo2k said:
I had this problem come up last month and I got everything replaced in the bulletin including the software update. I paid for it my self, is that something that they could redeem me for it?
Doesn't hurt to try.

Call LR 1-800-637-6837, work through the menus. You will need your VIN#.

Good luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey guys does anyone know where the range rover sport air compressor reservoir tank is located in the car?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just in front of the air compressor itself, on the outside of the left-hand chassis rail under, well, your butt. ;-) It's a long steel cylinder, easy to see.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ohhh okay yeh i just found it , umbertob is it normAl for the air compressor to come on for like10 seconds after the car has been driven for a while, for example i go to the market and come back home , when parking i hear the ir compressor come on for like 10 seconds and then it goes off. The air bags seem fine i have parked the car for 48 hours and it sits fine, and when i turn the car on in the mornings the air cmpressor usually runs for 1-2 minutes like normal, but i have recently started noticing it comming on after it has been driven.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, everything you describe sounds fairly ordinary. The compressor could very well come on for a few seconds with the engine running after you come to a stop / park, to quickly recharge the air reservoir to optimal pressure if necessary. No worries.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ill be installing the air drier, delivery valve, and relay this weekend. I am getting suspension faults randomly all the time now. All three only cost me about $130 shipped. Doing the install will also help to diagnose the real problem but hopefully this will also fix it.

Either way the air drier seems to be a replaceable item that wears out over time and should be replaced periodically anyways.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am getting this fault quite alot now i have a 2007 RRS and my vin # is in range my RRS only has 32,000 miles on it and i bought it as is so my question is how long is the factiory warranty is it 5 yrs i guess i could just buy the parts and have a independent shop do it but hay if i can have the dealer do it that would be great. So what do you guys think
Ken

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Factory warranty is 4 years or 50K miles, whichever occurs first. Unless your vehicle was originally registered after May 2008 (very unlikely if it's a MY07), you are out of luck Ken. Steer clear of the dealer - they will eat you alive now that your warranty is up - and go see a reputable independent shop for a diagnostic session and estimate. There should be plenty up in Northern California.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
CaptKen,

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bummer so if i go and buy the parts and buy a IDD tool which is 500.00 bucks can i callibrate the suspension myself or do i need to upate to the latest software the indy shop i went to for a oil change which is cerriones does not have the fault reafer stuff i think there is a indy shop in San Francisco CA that does have the equiment to upgrade the software i will google it and see the fault i get is random and all i have to do is turn off the car and it clears its just annoying i like thing working perfect on my different hobbies so when i get home i will most likely buy the parts and see if i can find a indy shop to do the fix. Thanks for your comments i really like the people on this forum always willing to give out good advise. do you guys do marriage advise for old sailors also.
Much Mahalos
Ken

·
Registered
98 Posts
Bummer so if i go and buy the parts and buy a IDD tool which is 500.00 bucks can i callibrate the suspension myself or do i need to upate to the latest software the indy shop i went to for a oil change which is cerriones does not have the fault reafer stuff i think there is a indy shop in San Francisco CA that does have the equiment to upgrade the software i will google it and see the fault i get is random and all i have to do is turn off the car and it clears its just annoying i like thing working perfect on my different hobbies so when i get home i will most likely buy the parts and see if i can find a indy shop to do the fix. Thanks for your comments i really like the people on this forum always willing to give out good advise. do you guys do marriage advise for old sailors also.
Much Mahalos
Ken
haha that is one big run-on sentence.

I went to a local indy shop and they charged me $80 for a "diagnostic check". all they did was check the codes and took them 15 minutes. Nice people but $80 was rediculous.

The IID tool seems like a great thing to have long term to both check codes and clear them but I dont think you can updated the suspension software. You can calibrate and change the height I believe but not update the EAS software.

·
Registered
206 Posts
where did you buy the parts?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had the same fault and installed the drier, valve, and relay. I bought the parts from roverparts.com

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had the same fault and installed the drier, valve, and relay. I bought the parts from roverparts.com
So your car is working good?

·
Registered
98 Posts
yep. no issues for the past 3 months since I installed the new parts. Before that I would get a fault almost every time I drove it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Compressor repair after "Suspension Fault - Normal height only"

Hi,
With the help of the forum members i was able to perform the repair listed here http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-...ir-compressor-drier-valve-relay-repl-tsb.html.
The fault i was getting was "Pressure rising too slowly," my car was down.
So I decided to replace the drier, delivery valve and the relay to save money ($135 for parts and free labor!), the compressor was quoted for almost a $1000 repair, $100 of which i had to pay anyway. So instead of completely replacing the compressor, i went with the fix it route. I found i had the newer *80 compressor, Made in Japan BTW, strange, English car, Japanese compressor, German transmission, American (Ford) relay, Indian owner.

Decisions/Challenges you will face when opening the compressor:
1. You will have to choose between Removing the mounting bracked or removing the lower and upper covers then unscrewing the compressor from the mount. I took the latter route. I removed the lower cover and then pulled/pried off the top cover with just a small rip to the padding to expose the last of the three HEX screws on the top side. The mounting bracket is removable but one of the bolts is very hard to get to, and probably best approached with a 10mm wrench instead of a socket type. I have a wrench but i decided to go the other route because i thought about how I would get that screw in when i have to re-install the bracket (more on that later). If you choose to remove the compressor from the bracket like i did, have a zip tie because you will have to break off the wire harness tie down.

Challenges on the compressor:
Both the delivery valve and drier are at the output of the compressor and are exposed to wet air, you guessed it they are not easy to remove. Dessicant has built up and clogged both, i had to hammer the drier out slowly and then cleaned the nozzle its mounted to. The delivery valve retention bolt took a second person since i dont have a vice. Once off they are easy to replace with new parts. follow the instruction on the TSB.

Challenges on the re-install:
By far the hardest step, what came first the chicken or the egg.
You have two options:
1. Do you screw the compressor to the mount and then pry in the top cover
2. or put the top cover and then screw on the compressor?

Its hard either way, i tried both. Its impossible to tighten the top screw with the cover in place while trying to drink your beer.
So I Screwed on the compressor, attached the lines, checked to see if it works, then worried about the sound covers.
The top sound cover is very hard to put back in after the compressor is screwed in place, but the compresor is hard to put in place with the sound cover already installed so I couldn't do the second one, I did the first, with a lot of struggle, and little tug and rip.

But the bottom line is the baby is working, works fast too. The reason for the fault is that the Drier is like a filter that collects hard water deposits and its almost like a maintenance item, it should be in my opinion easier to replace and should be independent of the compressor, but thats just the engineer in me talking.

Does anyone know about the open pipe thats above the frame and exits on to the top cover? i feel like when the suspension goes down my exhaust is much louder now, i can hear my exhaust.

Does anyone know of the noise that comes from the rear right wheel after the car is turned off that stays on for a while but only sometimes?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts