RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Brilliant forum with a huge amount of experience I'm hoping could give me some pointers.

I'm considering getting a 2005 range rover vogue and having some a bit of reading around am a bit wary about the gearbox given the many tales of woe there are about them.
The car in question actually belongs to a friend of mine who has owned it for the last 4 and a half years, pretty much trouble free. Aside from the odd trailer of logs is really just been a commuter and no off road running.
Mileage is 95k and the fluids/filters were replaced when he bought it (about 50 k miles) and think he said I'd also been done again recently. I'll need to check.

Anyhow, my questions are mainly about the gearbox and any particular symptoms I should be looking out for. I've not owned an automatic and rarely driven one so I'd appreciate any pointers or things to watch for.

One thing that has puzzled me is that when I checked the van on a couple of the free online places it came up as unrecognised..? I was reassured that the documentation and plate on the car do match!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,375 Posts
Petrol or diesel? (they have different transmissions)

(If you PM me your VIN I can check it using Microcat)

Phil

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,375 Posts
Unfortunately the GM 5L40-E transmission in the TD6 L322 has a poor reputation for durability. The transmissions generally last between 80k and 100k miles before the valve blocks wear sufficiently for the hydraulic spools to leak and crosstalk – the first sign of which is usually the disintegration of the torque converter lock-up clutch friction plate due to slippage caused by low pressures. Of course there are examples running with far higher mileages than this and you may be lucky, but if you’re purchasing a TD6 with that mileage, which is still on its original transmission, you should budget for another £2k expense (for a remanufactured transmission) coming along soon.

Phil

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,375 Posts
One thing that has puzzled me is that when I checked the VIN on a couple of the free online places it came up as unrecognised..? I was reassured that the documentation and plate on the car do match!
Microcat has your mate's vehicle down as a '54 reg. Maya Gold TD6 with Jet/Charcoal interior which was built on 25th August 2004.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
14 Posts
Hi Davem

i have both a 4.2SC and 4.4. i have just had the gearbox of the 4.4 refurbished. i was quoted £2084 to have the box removed, repaired and refitted. the noises i witnessed were as in another post akin to a moaning as the gears changed. this has done 155k, and i purchased it 2 years ago. i asked the guy fitting the box why he'd not just replace the torque converter. his reply was very plausible. there could be debris in the gearbox and when back in use could contaminate the torque converter. even though the filter and oils are replaced there can be very fine particles of dedris floating around the box. his advice change both gearbox and torque converter together.

regards

peter

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All considerations included, I went for it in the end.
Had a good couple of days with it and many good chats with the previous owner.
I appreciate your info, Phil and we've taken this into consideration as well.
A 400 mile drive home was faultless, no discernible jumps or clunks from anywhere.
It's been remapped too and was reporting 38.1 average. 300mile motorway and windy A roads for the last 100.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts