Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone first post here, first of many probably lol

Looking for some information on the standard analogue tuner in my 2005 Vogue.

1. Can it be replaced with a digital one if so can someone point me to the part number needed as a few on eBay but no idea if they are compatible.

2. If option 1 is too expensive for me is there a lead out there that can connect into the system in any way to allow an Auv video/audio input ( media box etc ) if so anyone know from where.

I've looked through the forums but getting confused by the options as I seam to have a crossover model, 2005/2006 era swapped from none touch to touch screen and tuner models in the rear changed.

Any help appreciated :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
33 Posts
I reckon that they add a digital tuner and take it's output through the existing analogue tuner input looking at the screen grab. Pretty sure this is supported by the fact that the information speaks about a 'remote control' which I'm guessing is also not part of the touch screen system.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I reckon that they add a digital tuner and take it's output through the existing analogue tuner input looking at the screen grab. Pretty sure this is supported by the fact that the information speaks about a 'remote control' which I'm guessing is also not part of the touch screen system.
Hope there's a step by step guide for this as I'd go for that :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well maybe not a full step by step guide but basically you buy a 12v digital TV tuner such as this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-IN...379717?hash=item27e0270b45:g:rFQAAOxyrM5THNTq

You connect your existing TV antenna to the aerial input of this box.

The Freeview TV output from the box is composite video and analogue audio so you then need another small box (12v powered) that takes this video signal and turns it back into a UHF TV signal such as this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCART-3-R...879199?hash=item566132619f:g:R~wAAOxyOlhS6m6Y

You then connect the UHF aerial output of this to your car's existing analogue TV tuner aerial input and then tune a spare channel (well since analogue was switched off, they are all spare so maybe choose channel 1) of this analogue tuner to the output of this new modulator box.

You then use the remote control of the first box to select the Freeview channel you want to watch and 'Bob's Your Uncle.'

·
Registered
33 Posts
I suspect that it uses a Fakra connector unlike the normal TV antenna connector. So you will need to either buy a connector and fit it yourself or get one ready made. Note that the coax cable will have to be quite thin in order to fit the Fakra connector so you may have to 'adapt' the standard aerial connector used to plug into the new module a bit since they are usually used with 5-7mm coax.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure if the adapted cable you have additionally bought will be suitable as it looks like the 'other' end to the Fakra connector is a car antenna connector rather than a TV connector so you may need to 'adapt' it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure if the adapted cable you have additionally bought will be suitable as it looks like the 'other' end to the Fakra connector is a car antenna connector rather than a TV connector so you may need to 'adapt' it.
You may be correct there, when it arrives I'll try the aerial fly lead from the output of the rf box to the tuner unit, I also bought ( from the same seller ) a fakra FM aerial lead
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rov...506698?hash=item2580baa98a:g:9ysAAOxyB0VRrerg
I think the Fakra end ate the important bits just now :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update to the above:

Got my free view digital box and my RF modulater still awaiting my fakra connectors, still in the planning stage but need to find out which cables in the tuner I need to remove to connect to the RF modulater it it the brown or green adapters as previously pictured ? ... Also is there an accessible 12v on that side of the car ... Not really have the weather here to go investigating

·
Registered
33 Posts
Front what I have found out the TV system uses antennas on either side of the car AND high and low frequency antennas - hence 4 connections. You don't need to worry about connecting up the low frequency antenna connections since these are VHF which fell out of use in the UK for TV many years ago. Whether each coloured connector is for each side or whether they are split for UHF and VHF you can probably work out by following the cables back.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.