RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an offer for a 2005 HSE RR for $7,500.00. It has 127,000 miles on, no warranty and a clean title. No past issues and was just serviced a couple days ago. It sits on 26" rims, which imo is a plus since it gives the car a sportier look. Other non standard features includes TVs in the back headrests but I don't care about that since I'm driving and have no kids.

I am sure the price is pretty fair, since this is being sold from my brother whom actually works in the dealer industry. The car is in Georgia and I live in Brooklyn. I happen to be in GA for the holidays and have the opportunity to buy the car and drive it back up to New York within the next couple of days.

I've never owned a RR and I have always liked the look of them. I'd love to hear some thoughts on what I could expect with this car, if the price is right (actually trying to get it down to $6k), and if this is car is going to be expensive to upkeep... I plan on using this car to go on weekend get-a-ways, so maybe about 800 miles a month max. I love a good deal and can't help myself when I come across one but from what I read about the reliability has me hesitant especially at the high mileage.

Thoughts and advice is much appreciated!

Cheers!

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
The first generation has well documented issues. transmission failures due to radiator and tranny cooler interchange.

Vanos problems, if Vanos have been service/rebuilt you should be good on the front for a long while. If there is a rattle at the front of the engine that sounds like a thrashing machine you should budget for a rebuild.

Sadly most owners bought into the "sealed for life" hogwash on their trannies so never had the fluid or filter changed. If the tranny has been serviced and the radiator/cooling system has been kept tip top then you will be miles ahead. You will still have high mileage wear issues down the road though.

Paint on the interior bits peals but there are a few write ups with paint matching aftermarket paint.

There is lots of reading to gleam other little items.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. If the major components are fine how much should one budget for down the road maintenance?

Also any thoughts on extended warranties? My research shows an extended warranty excludes some important things and almost make it not worth it but I have read both sides of the story...

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
The 05's are the sweet spot for the early trucks, with 127k miles and NYC driving expect to replace the transmission fluid, filter, and cooler. All should be replaced with OE parts. Expensive, but worthy job as your transmission should last a good long life.

At 150-180k expect timing chain guides to be done. This is a very intrusive job with pretty much everything on the front of the engine dissasembled, while there the VANOS units may be rebuilt to stop any clicking noise.

Extended warranties for vehicles this old will not cover the main failure points on these vehicles. Keep them in good preventative maintenance schedules and they'll be good back to you.

Talk to an independent shop known for Land Rovers to get quotes on these jobs, otherwise they're pretty reliable besides little electrical faults that may occur.

Check the air suspension system as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great advice. I just purchased the CarFax on it not an accident reported. Brakes were replaced at 117k miles so the brakes are only 10k old. The air-suspension was deactivated for reasons I believe RR has had with the sagging. I got the offer down to $6,300... Still 50/50 on the purchase though.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'd also make sure the transmission cooler at the bottom of the radiator (passenger side) if free and clear. I believe that's where the tranny problems are born.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
The air-suspension was deactivated for reasons I believe RR has had with the sagging.
Classic misinformation. If it's been converted to coils... run away. If the previous owner couldn't maintain something as basic as the suspension then who knows what else has been butchered or neglected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Classic misinformation. If it's been converted to coils... run away. If the previous owner couldn't maintain something as basic as the suspension then who knows what else has been butchered or neglected.
I've read at this high mileage you want it to have coil suspension because of the issues with the air suspension. The car's suspension was actually taken off and transferred to coils by my brother.

Edit** The carfax show this car was owned by another dealer (corporate) ownership so it was maintained very well, which gives me some sigh of relief. If this car doesn't work out I feel I can sell it for equal or even small profit of the buy cost, which is now $6,300 but that is just based off of my research and what I've seen on the market.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts