RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Range Rover L322 (BMW M62tu) w/109k miles

I just picked up another L322 that was sitting for a few years while the previous owner tinkered with it. After I got it home, I was able to get it running. After starting the car, it runs rough and idle jumps from 800 to 1200 and back and forth or it will start and die a few seconds later. Generic OBD reader said P2119 (Throttle Actuator control throttle body) and RSW All coms said P1639 (Throttle adaption, spring test failed). I read another thread about unhooking the MAF, and it started and ran fine, which points to throttle body failing the self-test. If I turn the car off and restart it, it will immediately die or run rough and only idle. The only way to get it running normal is to first start the car with the MAF plugged in and it will run rough and no throttle response, turn off the car, unhook the MAF, start the car again and it runs fine.

I changed the throttle body with a spare one I had, No change. I changed the throttle body again with one from a running Range Rover with no issues, no change. I then checked for continuity between the throttle body plug and the 52 pin plug that goes to the ECU. All wires seemed to be fine, I got the beep on my multimeter when checking each wire. I’ve also done the throttle body reset when turning the car to position 2 for 10-20 seconds to no avail.

I have a spare engine wiring harness if I need to switch it out. Is there something else I’m missing? Any help is appreciated.

Ryan

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sounds to me like it is not getting the correct air supply when it needs it? I could be wrong. Also check all fuses in the glove box.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think you just have to follow the throttle body reset procedure... from memory it's:
1) Turn car off.
2) Turn key to position 2.
3) Push accelerator to the floor for 5 seconds and release.
4) Turn key to off, wait 2 minutes.
5) Restart car and everything should be good.

This happened to me once when I inadvertently pulled a fuse out while car was running, i.e. throttled between 800 ~1200 rpms. After I did the above steps it went back to normal. I had to do it twice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did that exact sequence a few times and no immediate result.

But, after a week of not touching it, i went out this weekend to play with it some more and it started normally with the MAF plugged in. It seems to have fixed itself or something i did fixed it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
For me it worked immediately, once I did it the second time (the first time I forgot to take my foot off after 5 seconds). I'm not sure what happened in your situation. Glad it's working.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts