RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, I have a 2005 range rover hse. I live in California. Recently, my car had a very weird issue and here goes the story. I wish the LR fans and experts here may help me on that. btw, I'm not a native English speaker, so sorry about my poor English skill. I'll try my best to explain the stiuation.

about half year ago, my car experienced "idle speed" too high problem, about 800-900, every time when I tried to stop the car at red light, I can feel a clearly "pushing strength" to against my brake. Anyway, the problem not happened when I first start the car, but after drive awhile. when this problem first happened, I took to the local LR dealer, they want me to leave the car there for a night. next day, my service advisor told me that they couldn't detect any problem on my car, and when I get the car, I noticed that the idle was fine, but the clock has the wrong time, so I guess they just disconnect my battery and put together to let the problem "disapear", although they charge me 200usd by doing that...

one month later, the problem suddenly appeared again while I'm driving in town, I was kind busy at the time. instead of bring it to the local dealer again, I did a quick "fix" by disconnect/reset the battery myself. yes, the problem solved. Haven't even call the deal...

well, then roughly another month later, I took my car to an independent land rover shop at L.A. to get my car's 60k service done.(Most of the time, I choose the local dealer to do the repair and oil change stuff, since I have an Easy Care extended warranty on my rover and dealer constantly mail me their oil change coupon...) when mechanic try to move my car in, suddenly the car won't start, they asked me if this happened before, of course I said no. All the instrument was in working order, battery was fine, just when you switch key ignition, the car has no respond at all, no any other sounds either. We kind stuck there for 10 mins, nobody seems can solve the problem. then a mechanic came, he opened the glove box, and use a small handheld device to make connection with something in the glovebox. about 5 mins later, he returned to driver seat, start the car successfully. I asked them what's wroing with the car, the machanic kind had a hard time to say it clearly, he said:" you know, I can't be sure at this time, I guess it is just some transmission gear confusion, so computer won't let the car start" then I ask them to check into this issue, they said they will because 60k miles service should be a good health check opportunity. Anyway, they said nothing wrong at the end, when I pick up the car(they drove the car out, and leave the engine running since I already made the payment and approaching to the car), when I get in the car, I realize the idle speed problem appear again. I talk to the machanic there, they said they do not have time that day, I may bring it in at the next day. however, for first time ever, without reset the battery or "open the glove box", the car's idle problem suddenly return the normal on my way back to home.

and I had the idle problem two weeks later again, I gave it a couple of days that hoping my car's computer could solve it on it own. after three days, no good news,I reset the battery by myself again. at the mean time, I did a lot of research online, seems the battery condition is a very important to the rover, and can cause a lot of weird problems. I went to the dealer replace the battery even my service advisor told me my battery is working fine...(alternator was fine too)

then just 3 weeks ago, I almost forgot the starting problem for my car. It appeared again, car won't start what so ever, I tried at least 50 times, in P or N, turn the steering wheel..etc. I called my service advisor at local LR dealer, let him prepare to check my car, and put the car on tow truck. when the tow truck arrived at dealer, the service advisor and me approach to the car together, and he got into the car try to start it, and engine just started totally fine. However, just like last time, the idle speed went too high after the first successfully starting. I decide to put faith on the dealer again, to let them check. I even let the service manger personally see my car's problem, and he admit there must be something wrong with the idle. I leave the car there for two days, then receive the call from them, again, nothing wrong....I kind went nuts there, and asking for a better answer or even some suggestion. All they trying to tell me is that they did the repair by reset the computer...and hopefully the problem can goes away.

April 4.17 Saturday, my car dead again around 12:30pm, I tried millions times to restart the engine, did anything I could think of. No luck! the tow truck came at 2:00pm. just when I saw the tow truck approach, I decide to give a final try, and boring story....the car worked fine again....with high idle speed right away. Today, I call the dealer and kind talk not in a very nice way to mention the terrible experience I had, and just on my way to the dealer, idle went normal...

so now, no idea what else I can do to this rover. people are talking about all kinds of auto recall story these days, I guess the rover must doing so good, that they hardly has a recall on my 2005 RR, even the front diff, they called it "service action". not to mention, there are so many unsolved mystery on my rover, such as steering wheels randomly shaking(did 4 time wheels balance, tires check,alignment... now even change the whole sets (19" only), still shaking at random speed, let dealer checked this issue totally 6 times, no answer). Don't get me wrong, I love rover, when it working.

I hope I state my story at least readable for you guys. I appreciate any input could help me on my car's issues. Thank you very much:)

Alex.L

·
Registered
114 Posts
A couple quick questions:

Have you had the car since new? If not, do you have the service records.

If the main issues is the idle, you could have a carbon build up, a bad O2 sensor or a bad catalytic converter.

Do you always run premium gas?
You could try running some Seafoam or injector cleaner through it.

IMHO (In my honest opinion) Dealers today are more parts swappers, instead of true mechanics. Try to find another, well recommended, independent shop to diagnose the problem.

Another option could be try swapping your main computer with another, to see if your is bad. Many people have done this successfully on the last generation RR P38's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
woldd90 said:
A couple quick questions:

Have you had the car since new? If not, do you have the service records.

If the main issues is the idle, you could have a carbon build up, a bad O2 sensor or a bad catalytic converter.

Do you always run premium gas?
You could try running some Seafoam or injector cleaner through it.

IMHO (In my honest opinion) Dealers today are more parts swappers, instead of true mechanics. Try to find another, well recommended, independent shop to diagnose the problem.

Another option could be try swapping your main computer with another, to see if your is bad. Many people have done this successfully on the last generation RR P38's.
1: I bought it used at around 30k miles, I do not have previous service records, but I checked with the LR dealer, they have some of it. and of course, I have all the service records since I own it
2:actually. I mentioned O2 sensor and catalytic converter before. according to them, everything was fine..Like I said I bought an Easy Care extended warranty for my rover(100 deduct). The warranty works fine at most of the time, I spent 5500USD on that, and now the repair cost almost 4000USD. By the way, I suggest the service manager if they can not find the specific problem, and the idle and starting issues did exist as they can see, they may change few parts for me see if the problems could gone away, ex, O2 sensor...However, they told me they must prove to the warranty company that specific parts are wrong, otherwise, Easy Care will not cover the expense. Of course I can personally take the expense and let them do anything, and of course I coundn't do it, I may spend loads of money and still haven't swap the "right parts"....
3: Yes, I always run the premium gas. I've own many other decent cars before, and I do take care of my car very well.
4:I would like to try that, but after went to two well known independent shops in Cali, I don't want to mention name, but no luck. And it is extremely hard for me to take the car to the shop when it coudln't start like I mentioned before:(
5:I do not have friends who have the same car as mine, and strengers may not willing to do that. I asked dealer about this before, they said no, period. Even if I can swap the computer, it may still couldn't figure out the problem, right? since the starting problem and idle issue do not happen all the time. I may have the new computer with several month, and problem never exist, so I bought new computer at my own expense, then problem strike again...

Woldd90, I really appreciate you kind reply, and did help me someway. Thank you!

·
Registered
114 Posts
There are a few LR salvage companies, you may want to try and find or borrow a used one... Check out www.roverguy.com. Will Tillery maybe able to help you find a computer for your 05. He is very respected in the LR community, is located on the east coast and spends a lot of time on the different forums, like. D-90.com, discoweb.org and this site.

Scott

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
Not sure if this is any help - but my 03 had a similar - won't start issue randomly. What i did to fix it was to replace the battery ( big interstate was what i put in) and the + cable to the battery - the cable had been corroded over time.

All problems went away when i did this and in the end the interstate battery guys said the old interstate in there was bad after a full test cycle - even though the quick test did not show anything. Given my battery was only 45 months old - the total for all the fixes was under 150.00 and i did the work myself.

So you may want to try replacing these items before the computer - make sure the car is getting very clean and stable power before you look anywhere else. These things are bosch electronics and from my exp. bosch hates random voltage changes.

JH

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
woldd90 said:
There are a few LR salvage companies, you may want to try and find or borrow a used one... Check out http://www.roverguy.com. Will Tillery maybe able to help you find a computer for your 05. He is very respected in the LR community, is located on the east coast and spends a lot of time on the different forums, like. D-90.com, discoweb.org and this site.

Scott
Is there any way I can reach him, and let him give me some suggestion? I understand your suggestion by swap the computer, but like I said, even I do it, it amy not prove my computer fault at limited time. Let's say
1:I borrowed the computer for half year, and no idle and starting issue any more, and I talk to dealer about this and demand they change computer for me, however I do not think the warranty company will cover it ,since no one could PROVE it...
2:I decide to change new computer at my own expense after half year, then right after I do it, they problem may happen again...

I'm not planing to keep my rover forever long, but I do plan to keep it at least 1year so, my extended warranty runs out at next year september. with the random idle and non-starting issue, it really drives me nuts, and even affect my normal living somehow since the car could die at any where any time. I kind afraid to take my rover out of the town...what a shame

I did research on line, there was a individual person claim the almost identical issue like mine, and people suggest him to check volt, line,computer...etc and he never respond what happened to him eventually. I guess he may just lose the faith and sell the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jhepworth said:
Not sure if this is any help - but my 03 had a similar - won't start issue randomly. What i did to fix it was to replace the battery ( big interstate was what i put in) and the + cable to the battery - the cable had been corroded over time.

All problems went away when i did this and in the end the interstate battery guys said the old interstate in there was bad after a full test cycle - even though the quick test did not show anything. Given my battery was only 45 months old - the total for all the fixes was under 150.00 and i did the work myself.

So you may want to try replacing these items before the computer - make sure the car is getting very clean and stable power before you look anywhere else. These things are bosch electronics and from my exp. bosch hates random voltage changes.

JH
yes, the battery was my first concern, I understand even the instrument was all functioning, there still a possbility that my volt is not OK, but like I mentioned, I did change the battery, and let two shops include LR dealer to check the battery and alternator, according to them, both are fine. I'm not an expert for sure, but according to my previous experience, the non-starting and idle issue, must related to some software issue I guess.

I understand everyone suggest me the right things, I agree those are the stuff need to look into. However, my case, I let several places to check my car everywhere according to the shop, and they couldn't find anything wrong, therefore, the coudn't make the repair and nothing gonna change at the end. The reason I post on here, im my deep mind, I thought the best way to solve the issue is to find other rover has the same issue my car has. unfortunately, most starting problem for RR are realting to battery and alternator.

thank you all the same :clap:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts