RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Apparently my alarm continues to go off dozens of times per day while it is parked in the parking lot at my school?

I have read there is a faulty hood sensor on the 05' LR3 but am not certain if that goes for the RR as well?

I appreciate any insight...

Thanks,

CM

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blinkinlight, Were you able to fix this problem? What was the culprit?

Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I haven't tested mine, but I think mine issue is the upper rear door sensor.

I assume that you replaced the hood sensor and it didn't work?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
33 Posts
It happened when I first bought my 06 with about 114,000 km on it. The dealer replaced the hood switch and it hasn't returned.

·
Registered
56 Posts
To test if it is the bonnet switch just unplug it. On my RHD TD6 it is on the right hand side towards the base of the screen. I did this on mine and it stopped going off.

Adrian

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same problem on my 06. They have replaced the hood sensor once but it still is faulty occasionally. I would unplug the switch and depress it a few times just to make sure it has full travel and then plug it back in and slam the hood nicely. Usually does the trick for 6 or 8 months haha.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
slamming the hood may also kill the headlights, or other bulbs in the front end
I would not suggest this.

You might want to check the switch condition with an ohm meter,
and or check the height to see if its fully closing

·
Registered
517 Posts
I had the same problem on my 05, I just put several pieces of approx 1 inch square tape where the alarm "button" contacts the hood to for a better contact.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm having the same issue. Alarm comes on about 5-10 minutes after locking car. It will go on all night if I don't shut it off. My temporary solution is to lock the car, and then unlock it without opening the door. (The car will relock automatically after about 2 minutes without setting the alarm.)

My question is (to those who had the hood sensor as the culprit) wouldn't you have seen a warning on the dash constantly while driving that the hood was open (if the sensor was bad)?

·
Registered
248 Posts
When the alarm goes off inexplicably I think the first thing one should check is the volumetric sensor.

I had a problem of the alarm going of for no apparent reason but found that when I turned off the volumetric sensor it wouldn't any more. Eventually I found that it was the reflective sunshield I always put behind the windscreen that was causing it to go off. Not sure why it happens, perhaps it moves a little or just the way it reflects ultrasound.

The volumetric sensor is also susceptible to being triggered by load noises, such as perhaps a large truck with a not very effective muffler passing by close. It is also easily triggered by insects - even a very small one that happens to sit on the sensor will set it off.

To turn off the sensor you just need to press the lock button a second time a couple of seconds after locking. The LED under the mirror will light up steadily for a few seconds to indicate the volumetric sensor is off.

Turning off the sensor may not be the best idea as it does remove an important component of the protection but on the other hand it could easily be the cause of expensive damage if someone gets so annoyed by the noise that he decides to put a brick through the windscreen.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Mine was the hood sensor and there were no warnings or issues by disconnecting the sensor. It's easy to do, so just disconnect it had see if it works.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,421 Posts
I recently installed an Engel fridge in mine to go camping.

It took me a while to work out that when the fridge switched on, it was the fan in the fridge moving the air in the car setting off the alarm.

A double press of the lock button turns the internal sensor off.

·
Registered
703 Posts
This is my question: to those who had bad hood sensors, wouldn't a message appear constantly on the dashboard saying that the hood is open (if the sensor was bad)?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I unplugged the hood sensor... *poof*... problem went away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts