RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New to the forums but been lurking for a while. Am thinking of getting a 2005 or 2006 Range Rover. If both had the same mileage and very little difference in cost, which one would you recommend? Either known or not known for a particular issues affecting reliability (yes i know these are Range Rovers)? I guess what I am looking for a reason to exclude one over the other. If there is no reason, then I would likely go for the 2005 due to differential in price. I know they added the Sirius option in 2006, but can it be added to a 2005 since they are the same unit?

Thanks for your patience, and I did search, but couldn't find what I was specifically looking for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After further searching, I found one thread that said the 2005 was a terrible engine, and the 2006 was light years ahead. Can anyone confirm this as fact or am I getting into a can of worms conversation?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Whom ever said that the 05 has a "terrible engine" is out of their mind. It is the last BMW engine put in a Land Rover and it performance would surpass your expectations. Now, that being said, 05 was indeed an odd year because they switched to the fiber optic MOST system which makes any kind of upgrades much more difficult/expensive. The 03-04 system is much easier up upgrade on but, you would have to do a lot of upgrades to meet the stock 05. It has been said, and i will say it again, buy what you can afford. Buy the newest model you can afford. LR makes mods every year, and every year it is a better vehicle. There is probably a pretty large price gap between 05 to 06, I would assume 8K? Moral of the story, if you plan on customizing, 05 may not be the best selection but with out a doubt a reliable(for a RR) ride. But the newer the better :thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CMoore05 said:
Whom ever said that the 05 has a "terrible engine" is out of their mind. It is the last BMW engine put in a Land Rover and it performance would surpass your expectations. Now, that being said, 05 was indeed an odd year because they switched to the fiber optic MOST system which makes any kind of upgrades much more difficult/expensive. The 03-04 system is much easier up upgrade on but, you would have to do a lot of upgrades to meet the stock 05. It has been said, and i will say it again, buy what you can afford. Buy the newest model you can afford. LR makes mods every year, and every year it is a better vehicle. There is probably a pretty large price gap between 05 to 06, I would assume 8K? Moral of the story, if you plan on customizing, 05 may not be the best selection but with out a doubt a reliable(for a RR) ride. But the newer the better :thumb:
Thanks for taking the time to post. The only real thing I would upgrade on an '05 is to add the Sirius tuner if possible. Since it came on the '06 was hoping it would be as simple as adding the tuner to the '05, but that seems too obvious. I had thought of going '03 or '04 and replacing the GPS with aftermarket which solves the Sirius problem, but not sure I want to go that old. Is Bluetooth standard on the '05 and '06?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes bluetooth is standard but, (I knew you were waiting on it) The Nokia modules are notorious for having connection problems with newer phones and it is not always the same fix. Some are able to update their software and sometimes it takes the newer module to correct the problem. Common problem is that the phone connects with the module and there is no problem calling or receiving the calls but as soon as you answer or the other person answers, the car goes back to the radio and you can not communicate anymore. I have seen a lot of 03-04 with all new electronics ( maybe $1500 investment) that are current with the technology and will have much more flexibility with customization. If you do get an 05 and want to add Sirius, you can buy a Nav-TV module which will supply you with a auxiliary jack in the RR for what ever you want, iPod, Sirius, etc. The unit is $350 and not a bear to install and a good tech can save your CD charger. I say save your CD changer because you have to loop the aux through the CD changer. Any who hope this was of some help for you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was faced with the same decision. Chose the 06 because:

Jag engine - more power, with less maintenance required - also the common platform for LR3 / RRS
new 6 spd ZF gear box with less maintenance required
sat radio
bluetooth phone
reverse camera (I don't think the 2005s had this)

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
I would suggest looking at a low mileage 04 or 03 that has recently had the transmission replaced and everything else works. This is what i bought and i have been very happy with it.

This is what i added to make it the same or maybe even better than a newer one and it all works great + i get the BMW engine and electronics that i prefer. Interior of the 03 - 06 is virtually the same as well.

1 - Intravee II - 250.00
2 - Alpine ai-net switch - 150.00
3 - Blackberry Streaming Audio - 30.00 ( plugs into the ainet switch aux input1 - so i have 1 extra aux input left)
4 - Alpine Ai-net Ipod connector - 150.00
5 - Alpine DVD Changer (replaced CD Changer) - 300.00
6 - MK4 Nav with latest nav software (sold Mk3 on ebay for 300) - 600.00 (Net 300)
7 - Reverse Camera input and TV input - 200.00
8 - Alpine amp on the existing subs - 250.00 - works great and was an easy upgrade - much better bass control
9 - Boyo Rear view Camera License plate frame with camera - 100.00
10 - Bluetooth Phone integration Kit ( Yet to be installed) - 700.00
11 - IR transmitter in the sun glass holder - 50.00 - Plugged this into the DVD audio out so my kids can listen to the DVD/watch the DVD while i listen to a different source)

Out of pocket after the new rig was only about 1800 - because i sold the old stuff i took out of the car for about 500 total. That is half what they get for just the dvd entertainment package in a 2009...

In my opinion i have something better than even the new ones - DVD video, ipod integration and all the new gadgets...

Hope this helps - all spent on this rover i am still at less than 1/4 the cost of a new one.

JH

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks jhepworth. I am leaning toward an '03 or '04. I can just add aftermarket Pioneer or Kenwood Navigation/DVD Player/iPOD/Sat Player unit for like $1000. I think that is where my head is at now.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I don't know much about the Jag powered range rovers, but you see how quirky our British trucks are, seems like a safe play to sport a German power plant just incase :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went with an 06 about six weeks ago. Very happy with it. Under warranty I managed to get the Bluetooth upgraded to accept the phone book (worked fine with my Iphone and now my Motorola Droid--no issues).

If you can get one under warranty, by all means do it. I even managed to get some trim pieces replaced under warranty that had only very minor blemishes. Only mechanical issue so far was clogged rear wiper (a common problem I am told). Oh, and had headunit software upgraded so that the SAT did not revert to channel 184 every time.

Okay, so as for Ipod integration, I went with a NaVTv module--not the one that plays video. I had it professionally installed with a discreet switch mounted in the glovebox. You hit the switch and it cuts off all other audio sources and plays the ipod. It even balances the volume so you do not have to play with the ipod volume itself. It is tied into the fiber optics so the sound is crystal clear. I can take pictures and post if you are interested in seeing the final installed product. All in for $600 from a high end installer. FYI--there is no track information on the headunit.

For about $1500 you can get the interface that will show all track information, let you use the touch screen to select tracks, and stream Ipod video to the headunit. I almost went that route--expensive, but very cool.

I did almost pull the trigger on a 2005, but very glad I went with an 06 after talking to some service techs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Southern - if you had a good installer that may work. However my RR has the HK audio with all the speakers and sub and i really wanted to keep it all stock - use the volume controls, etc on the steering wheel and the existing speakers/system. The stereo sounds fine to me ( i am past the age of really caring about my car stereo - i have some nice speaks and tubes at home :) and with the amp on the subs it brings the bass up about 50% more than it is stock.

The Intravee ii is a very cool device, bummer the ainet is end of life. The ipod and video/audio integration to the nav screen is VERY good. Many search, lookup and random options. All the text shows up nicely on the screen from ipod, sat and dvd/mp3/wma/divix/etc. really nicely with the MKIV sat. I didn't upgrade my radio module since i just used the siralp1 for the sat radio tuner.

JH

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Not sure why anyone would say the BMW engine is bad. I find it to be more than enough power, and it has been problem free for me (although I perform quite a bit of preventative maintenance). I only have ~56k miles so far though. I've had no problems with my older ZF transmission either... but again, only ~56k miles. I am going to dive in drop the pan and change my fluid this weekend. ZF recommends this every 60k miles even though BMW/LR claim it is "sealed for life". You also have to keep a close eye on the transmission cooler and the lines from the radiator, as they may become clogged and overheat the transmission. From what I've read, if properly maintained the older ZF is a great transmission.

I would personally buy the cheapest RR you can find that has good service history and is in flawless condition. That is what I did (it took me months of searching though). Spending more just didn't make sense to me since they depreciate so fast. The newer ones do have some nice bells and whistles though, so if those features are important to you, then don't hesitate to get the newer models as you may be dissatisfied with the older ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good advice linux. Appreciate it. I actually think the older model with an aftermarket system, fits the bill for me, but I keep waffling. I talked with my old service adviser at land rover today and he said the only thing that he sees thats really costly is air bags on the air suspension. He did say it is much better than the P38's, but says when they go, its expensive. He says he sees them at a decent enough clip to be worried. What is everyone's experience with the air suspension? I am about to do a little research here but thought I would ask as well. Thanks for your patience everyone.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The front struts are expensive from the dealer, about 1500 or so each - if i replace one it will be from Arnott - 329 each front one and lifetime warranty.

My math was simple - buy an 03 - 04 with new tranny & 60K or so miles for $16-18K - add all the gadgets i want for 2K plus get it serviced so i feel happy its rocking 1K. This is still only about 20K total. All the nice 06-07's i had looked at were mid 40's - 20K is still half of 40K in my book a. If you are freaked out about the air suspension then replace the front struts for 700 + labor and for 21K you have a solid rig given it has had good service. I know people that have 180K + miles on their 03's and they have managed to get them there, the only big worry i have are the electrical gremlins - however from my understanding those are either in the rig and evident by about 60K or are not....

The interior is nicer on the 07 - that's the only reason i would go with that model year myself.

linuxfreakus - i agree completely with your statements.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Doing enough research on these will definitely freak one out. :)

Think definitely leanning toward an '03 or '04 and loading it up with an after market system. I found one '03 with 63K mles for $18,900. Going to give the VIN to my old service advisor at Land Rover see what he can tell me about. I really appreciate all the guideance from everyone. Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
linuxfreakus said:
Not sure why anyone would say the BMW engine is bad. I find it to be more than enough power, and it has been problem free for me (although I perform quite a bit of preventative maintenance). I only have ~56k miles so far though. I've had no problems with my older ZF transmission either... but again, only ~56k miles. I am going to dive in drop the pan and change my fluid this weekend. ZF recommends this every 60k miles even though BMW/LR claim it is "sealed for life". You also have to keep a close eye on the transmission cooler and the lines from the radiator, as they may become clogged and overheat the transmission. From what I've read, if properly maintained the older ZF is a great transmission.

I would personally buy the cheapest RR you can find that has good service history and is in flawless condition. That is what I did (it took me months of searching though). Spending more just didn't make sense to me since they depreciate so fast. The newer ones do have some nice bells and whistles though, so if those features are important to you, then don't hesitate to get the newer models as you may be dissatisfied with the older ones.
What did you do to check out the Range Rovers when you found one you were interested in?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts